Klipsch MCM 1900 - analog crossover or DSP crossover (pros & cons)?

hornsofplenty

I had a set of three way stacks with the Klipsch OEM crossovers. Sounded really good. I then went and built a pair of Super MWM's and stuck a 402 horn on top. This meant I had to look into time aligning which can't be done with crossovers. Long story short I would never have a system like this without using a Xilica or similar and going active. Plus that Xilica can be used with anything.

Having been on both sides of the fence the hassle and extra expense of learning to bi amp and using the Xilica is totally worth it.

These MCM's are epic systems and once you go there you can't go back.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 2/29/2020 at 2:48 PM, hornsofplenty said:

Hi all,

Our group has Klipsch MCM 1900's currently without crossovers. We're new to these beasts, so can the wiser here on the forum explain the pros and cons of pairing them with either of analog crossover (we've been recommended to use Power FEP 204) vs DSP crossover (Xilica XP4080)?

Thanks in adv!

I am going to move this into the pro sound section where I think you will get more replies. There are many owners of that system here that can help you.

Travis

@hornsofplenty, Welcome to the forum.  I would recommend looking at what ChrisA has done and read up on his topics and posts.  I actually went ahead and purchased a Xilica as well.  I won't be playing with it for another few weeks due to some personal matters....but the posts and topics I've read of his convinced me to go the active route. It's not cheap but will be a great tool later if I decide to change my gear out.  Which will probably happen since I can't leave well enough alone.