Corona has vanished!

geoff.

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Teachers refusing to wear masks or couldn’t??? They can use face shields instead and if they truly physically cannot tolerate a simple mask they need medical evaluation ASAP. 

I assumed "teachers" since those are the only people on campus. My wife's (Denise) words were more like "several people weren't wearing masks, and nobody said anything". I assumed "refuse", sorry.

The lack of preparedness (no masks or shields were available, no extra hand sanitizer, no separation/distancing markings) is the wife's primary concern; the fact that her school children are 95% illegal is another concern. The two teachers that flew the coop are near or eligible for retirement, my wife is not. She doesn't want to quit, but she's too far from being able to retire with anything, and well, the school pays a shyt salary.

My highschooler will be a senior this coming year and needs only two courses to graduate. The school district is reportedly offering a choice/option for online schooling. 

My college age daughter is chomping at the bit to go back to school (Baylor), and I'm a bit concerned about that one. She's too much of a social butterfly,.... and she damn sure didn't get that from my genes. The Baylor campus will be offering a mixture of in-person and on-line courses; I have no clue how they decide or select which is in-person.

• Like 1

My girlfriend for the past couple of wonderful years is a teacher, in a union...

She is the most logical, unpretentious, genuinely caring individual I have ever met, the very definition of professional, and one of the good ones to be sure.

We are both apprehensive about the back to school roll-out. The dearest people in my life, my children and my girlfriend, will be subjected to whatever unfolds.

You see, no matter how much the workplace changes, it cannot hope to compensate for the parent or individual employee that chooses to place others at unnecessary risk for whatever perceived rationale, or lack thereof, the very definition of negligent...

The bright side up here is that healthcare is “free” so anyone that requires immediate medical care does not have to fear crippling bills in order to be a healthy contributing member of society. 

Simply put, healthy educated people make healthy educated choices.

For the record, I have no issues with unions, teachers, or even government. Everything is subject to change, and to paint everyone with the same brush is a copout.

My issue is with human nature. Fear, greed and denial being the most motivating. When fear is removed, greed will prevail, and when that is threatened denial takes over. 

Simply put, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Whichever side garners it.

And people do not usually change until they can no longer do what they have always done.

The taxpayer(consumer) unable to opt out or choose another option(product) pays for this power struggle, and the ensuing insanity.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I assumed "teachers" since those are the only people on campus. My wife's (Denise) words were more like "several people weren't wearing masks, and nobody said anything". I assumed "refuse", sorry.

The lack of preparedness (no masks or shields were available, no extra hand sanitizer, no separation/distancing markings) is the wife's primary concern; the fact that her school children are 95% illegal is another concern. The two teachers that flew the coop are near or eligible for retirement, my wife is not. She doesn't want to quit, but she's too far from being able to retire with anything, and well, the school pays a shyt salary.

My highschooler will be a senior this coming year and needs only two courses to graduate. The school district is reportedly offering a choice/option for online schooling. 

My college age daughter is chomping at the bit to go back to school (Baylor), and I'm a bit concerned about that one. She's too much of a social butterfly,.... and she damn sure didn't get that from my genes. The Baylor campus will be offering a mixture of in-person and on-line courses; I have no clue how they decide or select which is in-person.

Thanks for the clarification and please excuse my abrupt candor. IMHO the way this covid19 mess has been handled from all directions has been disastrous, a perfect storm of idiocy. The big winner has been covid19. Instead of being extinguished covid19‘a natural virulence has outwitted the witless at every turn and at every level. Wishing your family the very best. 

21 minutes ago, geoff. said:

My issue is with human nature.

exactly -- I've been saying that for years. Problem is that few want to admit what their nature makes them capable of. It's the my dog don't bite syndrome -- too many still think they're okay and the problem is with everyone else. 

You know I think nuclear bombs are old hat now and the new weapons are viruses and diseases. Release a virus in a country you want to conquer then when they are desperate offer them the antidote if they promise to surrender. Nothing blown up and nobody dead in your country.

JJK

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

You know I think nuclear bombs are old hat now and the new weapons are viruses and diseases. Release a virus in a country you want to conquer then when they are desperate offer them the antidote if they promise to surrender. Nothing blown up and nobody dead in your country.

JJK

And most importantly, the labour force and required infrastructure is intact and ready to be capitalized upon.

Well Shyt!!!.....   No sooner did I post what I did yesterday, and now my wife is home early (14 day quarantine) because the other bilingual teacher just tested positive for Covid.  The stupid asss showed up to work sick, and since she works with my wife, the school thought it wise (and rightly so) to send her home for self-quarantine.

FFS!!! (thanks for that one Brian)......  Why can't the US population just sit tight for 2 fk'ing weeks and not drag this shyt out.  Now I'll be on edge and pissed for the next few days..

EDIT:

This is the 5th day since school opened. No one is checking the teachers/employees temperatures before they step into the building, no safety screening, no safety precautions other than that offered on the first day.... that precaution consisted of a form stating you're not sick, don't feel sick and have not "knowingly" been in contact with anyone that has the virus. Thankfully my wife wears her mask and washes her hands diligently. Will see how this turns out.

Fk'ing pisses me off, if I go to my doctor's office, the first thing (the first line of defense) they do is take my temperature..... The school does shyt, zero, nada. If my wife comes down with this, I'll be looking for a vicious lawyer.

• Sad 2

I'm looking forward to seeing the situation in our house. Only 20 kids in the school my wife teaches, but ....

A friend's kids brought it home [from work], and it made the route thru the whole family. None of them required hospitalization, but she took it bad. Said she was quite sick for a couple weeks.

• Sad 1

On 8/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, geoff. said:

You see, no matter how much the workplace changes, it cannot hope to compensate for the parent or individual employee that chooses to place others at unnecessary risk for whatever perceived rationale, or lack thereof, the very definition of negligent...

I service the hospitalities industry,  some accounts have a questionnaire and temp me before I can enter. Others, not so much...

As an employee our protocol states we are not to show up for work if we exhibit any of the signs, or have come into contact with anyone that has Covid.

...but some people still drive drunk, so why wouldn’t some people infect others...

Negligence. It is a prosecutable offence. But if it has come to that, there are no winnners.

• Like 1