Corona has vanished!

geoff.

COVID19 is more like pneumonia than the flu.  It’s a new version of SARS, which was not the flu, either.

This coronavirus seems to be more of a lung infection than an upper respiratory tract infection, although its first symptoms appear in that tract.

• Like 2

Well, that explains it.  Thanks.  I’ve only seen a few episodes of that series, since we didn’t get it on our one English-speaking channel in rural Quebec in the Sixties.  In the city (Quebec City), people could get cable TV, and I used to hear about shows like Time Tunnel, but I haven’t seen even one episode of that.

Adam West’s Batman sure was pretty camp, with his silk elbow-length gloves and silk cape.  Not quite The Dark Knight.

• Like 2

------t

24 minutes ago, Islander said:

Well, that explains it.  Thanks.  I’ve only seen a few episodes of that series, since we didn’t get it on our one English-speaking channel in rural Quebec in the Sixties.

there was  cable at  CFB Valcartier  in  73-74

Just now, RandyH000 said:

------t

there was  cable at  CFB Valcartier  in  73-74

I lived next door in Shannon until 1970, then moved to Toronto.  Now, they have Shannon Vision, their own cable TV hub, but there was nothing like that there in the Sixties.  There was CKMI, the local English TV station, a French-speaking station whose call letters I forget, and a third station that had such a weak signal that it wasn’t really viewable.

No wonder we spent so much time listening to music.

• Like 2

Covid19 is a corona virus....  a new variant of a coronavirus that humans have not ever been exposed to. It does not respond to existing antiviral medications and so far there is no vaccine for covid19 (or any coronavirus). The effects of covid19 on the body were unknown and are still being discovered. Covid19 is treated empirically and medicine is getting better at it.

Influenza’s are variants of the well known influenza A and B viruses. They mutate and annually and a few mutations thrive because they too are novel, new strains of the flu, and they can be quite severe. Thus the need for annual influenza vaccinations..... to stave off the new flu virus. And medicine can vaccinate for the flu and the flu does respond to antiviral drugs.

Though the 2 viruses have similarities they are quite different morphologically and clinically. There are multitudes of viruses that occur naturally. Ebola is another virus different from either covid19 or the influenza. The vast majority of viruses are not pathological to humans. Before modern antibiotics people were treated by giving them viruses known to kill bacteria. 

So to accurately assess the impact of both covid19 and this year’s influenza the 2 data bases must be separately evaluated. So eat your Wheaties and stay healthy and safe. 😁

• Like 1