Corona has vanished!

geoff.

Just now, Jeff Matthews said:

Puffery.  No big deal.  Every movement needs a leader.  In the end of the day, it will be expressed by the will of the people (or lack thereof).

Hasn't worked.  Sucking Putin hasn't worked.  Falling in love with Un hasn't worked.  No big deal.  Politicizing every aspect of American life hasn't worked.  I'm glad you trust the people to fix it.

Just now, oldtimer said:

Hasn't worked.  Sucking Putin hasn't worked.  Falling in love with Un hasn't worked.  No big deal.  Politicizing every aspect of American life hasn't worked.  I'm glad you trust the people to fix it.

Why focus on just those things?  What worked before?    Sometimes, you're faced with a decision:  Nationalism vs. Globalism.  Open Borders vs. Tight Control.  It's real easy to claim nothing works by being the ultimate critic.  Can you take a stand on any issue?

26 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I understand.  You, too, can do the math.  Compare your sum to the area beneath the mean curve.  It's a blip.  I'm not making light of death, so let's not stoop that direction.

Well the charts demonstrated ‘blip’ certainly reflects at least 180K additional deaths since April. Guess your point is that a lot of folks die and the additional 180K dead folks is inconsequential in your opinion. Keep in mind that these additional deaths occurred despite the best modern medicine could deliver. Add to that the extreme efforts made to isolate the virus by the shutdowns you’ve referenced. Those deaths are substantial, in my book... and they reflect some tough choices enacted to control/contain/treat the organism. Imagine how much worse it could have been w/o those efforts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You've been missing some major news, is all I can imagine.  Have you not seen efforts to resist China's attempt to gain a stronghold over world data?  

LOL.  You tried to call me out for narrow focus and that is the best you can do.

Just now, Bosco-d-gama said:

Well the charts demonstrated ‘blip’ certainly reflects at least 180K additional deaths since April. Guess your point is that a lot of folks die and the additional 180K dead folks is inconsequential in your opinion. Keep in mind that these additional deaths occurred despite the best modern medicine could deliver. Add to that the extreme efforts made to isolate the virus by the shutdowns you’ve referenced. Those deaths are substantial, in my book... and they reflect some tough choices enacted to control/contain/treat the organism. Imagine how much worse it could have been w/o those efforts?

As I said, I'm not making light of deaths, but they do happen.  The question is:  Was this enough to justify tanking the world economy and shuttering untold numbers of businesses?  A lot of irreparable harm has been done.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

LOL.  You tried to call me out for narrow focus and that is the best you can do.

Nope.  You were insinuating that none of the issues matter.  I pointed out one very serious issue, and I think you might tend to agree that China's ambitions are a very serious concern.  (Maybe you don't, though).

10 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

They are substantial but it is too early to point to that excess death chart and make definitive statements.  It needs a few more months to play out.

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

In other words, no.

He said preparing for 1 million to 2 million Americans to die from the coronavirus is "almost certainly off the chart," adding: "Now it's not impossible, but very, very unlikely."

However, Fauci cautioned people not to put too much emphasis on predictions, noting that "it's such a moving target that you could so easily be wrong and mislead people."

March 29, 2020

(hopefully the truth won't kill you)

well , let's take a small step backwards to today's date 09-12-2020 /  the USA Deaths are only 198124   - that's 1, 876  less than 200k   and Canada 9170 - Godspeed -

38 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You've been missing some major news, is all I can imagine.  Have you not seen efforts to resist China's attempt to gain a stronghold over world data?  

the Chinese  are using Covid 19  to gain a Stronghold  over the world , by subjucating the free world economy , simply because they failed to report to the WHO  the gravity of the pandemic infection in China prior to the Christmas Holidays ---And their own tourists traveling during Christmas spread the virus worldwide -

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

As I said, I'm not making light of deaths, but they do happen.  The question is:  Was this enough to justify tanking the world economy and shuttering untold numbers of businesses?  A lot of irreparable harm has been done.

Your question is retrospective. At the time the isolation policies were enacted we did not fully understand covid19 yet. It may have been overkill but who was to know at that time? Covid19 had ravaged Italy and the only measures that seemed to work for certain were those established by China for their population. China shut down the areas involved. That was the benchmark then, so that’s what we did - then.