Corona has vanished!

geoff.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

So we can't enjoy music or sports performed by people that don't conform to an acceptable level of conduct in their every day life? 

Clearly we can, and should, enjoy sports, art, music, etc., irrespective of the politics of those involved.  That said, when someone shoves their politics in our face, I feel entitled to dismiss their art, especially when I find those politics repugnant, as I do those of Nugent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Clearly we can, and should, enjoy sports, art, music, etc., irrespective of the politics of those involved.  That said, when someone shoves their politics in our face, I feel entitled to dismiss their art, especially when I find those politics repugnant, as I do those of Nugent.

So you don't like Pink Floyd either?

• Like 1

Or is it only OK to like someone who spews views on different subjects that you like regardless of what others think of said views?

If I didn't seperate the artist from their world view I'd probaby sell all my gear as it would never be used.  I'd also quit watching all sporting events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

So you must agree with their political views that others find repugnant. 

No,  I have no position on their views, nor do I deny others the right to reject them if they find their views repugnant.

2 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

No,  I have no position on their views, nor do I deny others the right to reject them if they find their views repugnant.

But if you feel an artists views are repugnant you can't believe others may like their art.  That's where we started right?

To be clear, I don’t ascribe Ted’s politics to you or anyone else who likes his music.

My problems with Ted are that he is so eager to push his politics, which he has every right to do, and I never liked his music.  That makes me feel entitled to dismiss his, IMO, mediocre talent, while rejecting his positions on race, women and gun control.

Don’t get me started regarding his driving record.

• Sad 1

Carl,

You have every right to like Nugent, his music and his views.  I was somewhat facetiously suggesting that I don’t want to believe that you agree with 100% of his, IMO, repugnant views.  If you do, which you have every right to do, please don’t burst my bubble.

I like you without any concern for your politics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

So what if you really liked his music and everything else was the same?

I would continue to like and enjoy the music, but the hypothetical is stopped in its tracks by the fact that I could go to my grave without hearing another note from Terrible Ted and not feel like I’d missed a thing.

• Sad 1