Corona has vanished!

geoff.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

So we can't enjoy music or sports performed by people that don't conform to an acceptable level of conduct in their every day life? 

Thank you!  I enjoy music from musicians that I do not agree with (BTW - Ted Nugent sucks, nothing to do with his views).  Imagine inviting Led Zeppelin to your house for a stay in the early 70s.  Hide your TVs and daughters. 

Please, let's take your message of tolerance to a higher level.  We will all be much better off. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Ted's music is better than Pink's.  Pink is just too depressing.  Once in a blue moon, it's good.  No doubt, they are talented - even more than Ted.  But man, it makes you want to drink til you vomit and think about slitting your wrists (OK, I'm exaggerating).

OK, I cannot associate with you because of this view.  WTF. I have to draw the line somewhere. 

• Haha 3

As a former prosecutor I have practice holding seemingly contradictory thoughts in my head simultaneously.  For example O.J. was not guilty, but he was not innocent.

It often irks me that celebrities are so eager to share their political views, but they have a right to do so, while we have a right to disagree and reject their art, or accept their art while rejecting their beliefs.

Gotta run.  Life goes on.

• Like 1

Hey back to Coronavirus. 

This may or may not be true, but we always seem to have this happen after every disaster.  No conspiracy to kill us, just people asleep at the wheel which always happens.  Seems humans always want to buy the pound of cure.

The author seems to have some credibility:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashem_Al-Ghaili

He also has some Ted Talks and appears to be a very intelligent and articulate person (meaning not Ted Nugent'esque  🤣)

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Ha ha!  I know I'm in the minority here.  

I like "Money," though.  

... and Phil effin' Collins.

Phil Collins was good before he started doing to stupid ballads in the 80s. But Peter Gabriel was a way better front man for Genesis and and solo...well, at least until he started with those stupid ballads in the 80s. 

OK, I have to go back to not talking to you.  You go listed to Cat Scratch Fever and I'll put on Animals. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Hey back to Coronavirus. 

This may or may not be true, but we always seem to have this happen after every disaster.  No conspiracy to kill us, just people asleep at the wheel which always happens.  Seems humans always want to buy the pound of cure.

The author seems to have some credibility:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashem_Al-Ghaili

He also has some Ted Talks and appears to be a very intelligent and articulate person (meaning not Ted Nugent'esque  🤣)

I listened to the whole video, and did a quick Google search to see if the guy is stirring controversy out of context.  I think he is missing the mark completely.  

He suggests the outbreak in bats was predicted a year ago, and due to some vaguely-described political force, ignored to the detriment of all humanity.  The issue is far more complex than a simple exercise of political will.  It's a well-known issue, and the state of the art in science is not capable of dealing with it as easily as the speaker suggests.  

There is a plethora of such articles linking CV to bats and other animals.  I quickly found them.  Here's one from 2006.  This is the abstract:

Coronaviruses can infect a variety of animals including poultry, livestock, and humans and are currently classified into three groups. The interspecies transmissions of coronaviruses between different hosts form a complex ecosystem of which little is known. The outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the recent identification of new coronaviruses have highlighted the necessity for further investigation of coronavirus ecology, in particular the role of bats and other wild animals. In this study, we sampled bat populations in 15 provinces of China and reveal that approximately 6.5% of the bats, from diverse species distributed throughout the region, harbor coronaviruses. Full genomes of four coronavirues from bats were sequenced and analyzed. Phylogenetic analyses of the spike, envelope, membrane, and nucleoprotein structural proteins and the two conserved replicase domains, putative RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and RNA helicase, revealed that bat coronaviruses cluster in three different groups: group 1, another group that includes all SARS and SARS-like coronaviruses (putative group 4), and an independent bat coronavirus group (putative group 5). Further genetic analyses showed that different species of bats maintain coronaviruses from different groups and that a single bat species from different geographic locations supports similar coronaviruses. Thus, the findings of this study suggest that bats may play an integral role in the ecology and evolution of coronaviruses.

• Like 1

We suffer from corona viruses already and all of them originated in animals. The common cold is a type of corona virus. While the initial source of the virus may be debatable one thing for certain is that it began in the animal kingdom mutated so that it would infect humans. The real trouble starts when humans, in turn began to infect other humans. The SARS corona virus which originated in chickens (as I recall) was not ever passed from human host to human host. Instead China killed many millions of chickens/birds to squelch the infections before it mutated into something more serious. This new corona virus immediately went to this transmission level with a vengeance and lots of stealth........ and we see the consequences.

4 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Without reading all of this, if scientists knew that this was likely, the Chinese Govt should have reacted quickly when it happened instead of trying to cover it up and punish the doctors who tried to warn everyone. 

Agreed.  I have Chinese friends, and even though I can't imagine a world without free flow of information and ideas, they assure me it is very real over there.  The mob is paranoid that a critical mass might become powerful.  The masses are instructed to live apolitical lives and not to concern themselves with politics.  Kind of like this forum.  

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I have Chinese friends, and even though I can't imagine a world without free flow of information and ideas, they assure me it is very real over there.

In fact, many feel constrained in their speech here in the US, because the Chinese government will threaten and harass their family members back in in China in retaliation for exercising their rights here in the US.  It's really a shame.