Boyuu tube amps

celestial_sound

Hello Guys,

Recently Steve Guttenberg have reviewed the Boyuu Reisong A10 tube integrated right after Zero fidelity review.  Both reviews are positive and can be seen on youtube.

So, i thought i should give it a try this Chinese 'gems' and pair it with my Klipsch RP600s especially that I've never owned a tube amp before. I made a small research before deciding which model should i go and i round my choice between these particular three models.

• SOUNDARTIST SA34A  CLASS A Single Ended (price + shipping =  375$  with free shipping)
  • REISONG A10 CLASS A Single Ended  (price + shipping = 240 + 170 = 410$)
  • REISONG BOYUU MT-34 Push-Pull (price + shipping = 520$ with free shipping )

As i say, I've never owned a tube amp before and i need you help me decide which model should i go for. Is it worth to pay hundred(s) bucks more for the MT-34 model as it is push pull design.

Or whats the difference between the SA34A  and A10 model. Which one should i go for. Thanks!

With low level listening any of the amps should be fine.  You won’t have any idea of how they would sound until installed in your system.  It is difficult to base a purchase decision on reviews or what others like.  Where are you located?  Perhaps someone reading this is near you and has one of these amps for you to try.

Maynard

I agree, they will sound different to different ears. But, are there any objective differences among those models. Would it be worth to spend more and purchase the MT-34. My current system is: Project debut carbon with ortofon 2m Blue, Marantz NA8005 as digital source and SS Integreted Marantz PM7003. 

On 3/1/2020 at 4:49 AM, celestial_sound said:

Hello Guys,

Recently Steve Guttenberg have reviewed the Boyuu Reisong A10 tube integrated right after Zero fidelity review.  Both reviews are positive and can be seen on youtube.

So, i thought i should give it a try this Chinese 'gems' and pair it with my Klipsch RP600s especially that I've never owned a tube amp before. I made a small research before deciding which model should i go and i round my choice between these particular three models.

• SOUNDARTIST SA34A  CLASS A Single Ended (price + shipping =  375$  with free shipping)
  • REISONG A10 CLASS A Single Ended  (price + shipping = 240 + 170 = 410$)
  • REISONG BOYUU MT-34 Push-Pull (price + shipping = 520$ with free shipping )

As i say, I've never owned a tube amp before and i need you help me decide which model should i go for. Is it worth to pay hundred(s) bucks more for the MT-34 model as it is push pull design.

Or whats the difference between the SA34A  and A10 model. Which one should i go for. Thanks!

I have 2 different Chinese tube amps and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have a Douk 13w K88 model and a Audcom 60w EL34 model. Both amps have been great. I have had the Audcom for close to 20 years now without any issues. I use KT77 JJ's in it and it rocks big time. When I had it on my Vertical Cornwalls, I have one corner of my living room that would hit 124db peaks.  Its a rocker for sure.  The Douk sounds real nice as well, but does not have the powerful punch of the Audcom at higher levels.  At 75-85db its a great sounding amp and very surprising with only 13w.

douk.jpg

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The difference between the SA34A  and A10 is that the SA34A is wired to use 12AX7 preamp tubes and the A10 is wired for 6N2 tubes. Socket adapters are available for using one type with the other. I own the A10 and use adapters that I got on ebay allowing me to use 12AX7 tubes giving me more opportunities for "tube rolling". There are very few options when using 6N2 tubes. I think the SA34A is a better choice, at the time of my purchase of the A10 I was unaware of the availability of the SA34A.

I've had mine for 6 months now with no issues and have used it with Heresy I and Heresy III speakers. It is very very good sounding to my ears and build quality is quite nice too. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

1.jpg

Edited by wetowne
error
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ordered the handwired version of the A10 from china-hifi and it's on its way. The construction quality looks very good from the photos. With the exception of a small board, everything is true point-to-point wiring. With an amp this simple, very little can go wrong that cannot be fixed by a good amp tech locally.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 1

I’m really enjoying my first tube amp, this Reisong Boyuu A10. I am new to tubes, and really enjoying this unit with my LaScalas.

I wanted to inquire about tube rolling. The tubes that come with these are:

5Z4P x 1

EL34 x 2 - stock tubes are Shuguang el34Bs

6N2 x 2

The stock tubes sound really good, so I’m in no hurry to tube roll. I just want to order some tubes to have on hand as well as to test different combinations.

I mainly listen to rock/classic rock music, if that helps.

Also, where are the best stores to order from? Any info is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

• Like 1

Let me share my experience so far. The 5z4p rectifier is for the power supply side and is not really in the direct audio stream, if it's defective it could introduce noise into both channels but unlikely, so rolling those isn't going to do much for you. You might want to get some spares for backup just in case. I went with the originals they're cheap on eBay.

The 6n2's are a bit of problem, they sound just fine but there are really no substitutes available for rolling, for that you'll need to go with 12xa7 variants, to use those tubes you will either have to rewire the tube sockets or get an adapter. You can find the adapters on eBay also. I got some JJ ECC83s and these are a definite improvement on the originals, they give more detail and space to the music that I listen to, which is mostly small jazz combos and chamber music.

The original output tubes are not bad at all but so far I've rolled JJ kt-77's and Mullard el34's into the mix. I've experimented with almost all the possible combinations and I like the ECC83s with the Mullards the best. The ECC83s play really well with the Shuguangs also.

With rock music the kt-77's might be better, they're more aggressive and have a little more bass. 

I got everything from Amazon and eBay.

Edited by wetowne

51 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

I have  no personal experience with them,  but some have suggested replacing the Chinese 6N2 with the Russian military equivalent 6N2P-ev with good results.  Widely available on eBay or  other sources for modest $.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a matched pair NOS Voskhod Rockets for 20 bucks shipped. We'll see how they sound in a couple of days.

Let me share my experience so far. The 5z4p rectifier is for the power supply side and is not really in the direct audio stream, if it's defective it could introduce noise into both channels but unlikely, so rolling those isn't going to do much for you. You might want to get some spares for backup just in case. I went with the originals they're cheap on eBay.

The 6n2's are a bit of problem, they sound just fine but there are really no substitutes available for rolling, for that you'll need to go with 12xa7 variants, to use those tubes you will either have to rewire the tube sockets or get an adapter. You can find the adapters on eBay also. I got some JJ ECC83s and these are a definite improvement on the originals, they give more detail and space to the music that I listen to, which is mostly small jazz combos and chamber music.

The original output tubes are not bad at all but so far I've rolled JJ kt-77's and Mullard el34's into the mix. I've experimented with almost all the possible combinations and I like the ECC83s with the Mullards the best. The ECC83s play really well with the Shuguangs also.

With rock music the kt-77's might be better, they're more aggressive and have a little more bass. 

I got everything from Amazon and eBay.
@wetowne this is extremely helpful and gives me direction. Thank you!

If I may ask a favor, would you provide a link to the adapter I should use with 12ax7 tubes? Is this something that I simply plug in to the tube socket, and the new tube goes into the holes on the other side of the adapter? Is it that simple?

• 4 weeks later...

I finally hooked up the Reisong A10 to the Cornwall IIIs that I bought recently. The construction quality is excellent and it is shockingly heavy for a tiny amp. 

Out-of-the-box, it sounds very good and very silent in operation. What you put in, you get out. Good recordings sound good and bad recordings not so great. Smooth and no harshness on the best recordings.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, Drewg said:

I’m really enjoying my first tube amp, this Reisong Boyuu A10. I am new to tubes, and really enjoying this unit with my LaScalas.

I wanted to inquire about tube rolling. The tubes that come with these are:

5Z4P x 1

EL34 x 2 - stock tubes are Shuguang el34Bs

6N2 x 2

The stock tubes sound really good, so I’m in no hurry to tube roll. I just want to order some tubes to have on hand as well as to test different combinations.

I mainly listen to rock/classic rock music, if that helps.

Also, where are the best stores to order from? Any info is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

I buy tubes for my guitar amps from the tubestore.com. I never had a problem with the tubes that I bought from there. I'm very impressed by the A10. I was able to confirm the established fact that the combination of Klipsch and SET is quite magical. It's very silent and has more than sufficient power and bass with my Cornwalls.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 1