Boyuu tube amps

celestial_sound

It is technically better to get someone experienced, to  re wire the driver tube sockets, soldered connections, rather than adding a second set of plug-in connections.  You will find there are MANY excellent 12AX7 types , and each has a different character.  I suggest you permanently have someone carefully and neatly rewire the tube sockets.  " Double" tube socket connections, whenever using adapters, is a trade-off between convenience and it trades off sonics...it is sonic degrade.

What sort of analogy can I give, that is readily understandable - on a gut level ???    I got it !  Adapters is like a guy using two condoms.

Jeff 

That’s an pretty funny analogy. I understand what you are saying.

I ordered the socket adaptors awhile ago and they won’t be delivered until July!

So I’ll ask you this. Is it going to cost me as much as I paid for this tube amp (under $400) to re-wire driver tube sockets? I have no idea what doing this would cost, and would it be worth such a cost to upgrade an inexpensive (relatively speaking for a new) tube integrated?

I appreciate the advice!

Andy

5 hours ago, Drewg said:

That’s an pretty funny analogy. I understand what you are saying.

I ordered the socket adaptors awhile ago and they won’t be delivered until July!

So I’ll ask you this. Is it going to cost me as much as I paid for this tube amp (under $400) to re-wire driver tube sockets? I have no idea what doing this would cost, and would it be worth such a cost to upgrade an inexpensive (relatively speaking for a new) tube integrated?

I appreciate the advice!

Andy

I can only offer advice based on my personal experience. Over the past 8 months that I have used the A10 with the tube adapters I can report no loss of sound quality or any issues at all. They work just fine. Rewiring in my opinion would be a waste of time and money. Try the adapters and don't worry about them. Just enjoy the amp. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Its in years of practice, just using a single tube socket. I would NEVER EVER consider the use two male-female  connections in series, especially with a PC board trace connecting the runs.  I would rewire the socket, NEATLY, If I needed to.

Jeff Medwin

So may I assume from your answer to my first question that the answer to my second question would be no.

• 7 months later...

What are the compatibility issues if any on using the Sovtek SSR (solid state rectifier) instead of a tube based on in the Reisong A10?

ref: https://www.vivatubes.com/brand-new-sovtek-ssr-solid-state-rectifier-replaces-5ar4-gz34-5y3-5u4/

On the plus side, the SSR might help prevent sag and tighten up the base freqs, is cheaper and may last longer than a tube in that slot.  In the A10 design, the 6.3v filament power lines have their own windings on the transformer so that part is not an issue.  However, the SSR might have a different voltage drop and starts to apply voltage to the other tubes immediately on power on unlike a slower warm up tube based rectifier. 

Has anyone tried a SSR?  What are your thoughts?

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 9:58 AM, wetowne said:

The difference between the SA34A  and A10 is that the SA34A is wired to use 12AX7 preamp tubes and the A10 is wired for 6N2 tubes. Socket adapters are available for using one type with the other. I own the A10 and use adapters that I got on ebay allowing me to use 12AX7 tubes giving me more opportunities for "tube rolling". There are very few options when using 6N2 tubes. I think the SA34A is a better choice, at the time of my purchase of the A10 I was unaware of the availability of the SA34A.

I've had mine for 6 months now with no issues and have used it with Heresy I and Heresy III speakers. It is very very good sounding to my ears and build quality is quite nice too. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

1.jpg

Is there a socket adapter that does not require rewiring/jumping?

thx

bob

Edited by steelgtr
subbing

On 5/31/2020 at 3:54 AM, wetowne said:

I can only offer advice based on my personal experience. Over the past 8 months that I have used the A10 with the tube adapters I can report no loss of sound quality or any issues at all. They work just fine. Rewiring in my opinion would be a waste of time and money. Try the adapters and don't worry about them. Just enjoy the amp. 

Loss of sound quality sounds like more audio voo doo talk :)

bob

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, wetowne said:

1.jpg

I know this is an older thread (but someone else resurrected it)   I am wondering where you found the table you have your 2  Schiit devices sitting on.  very nice how it matches your amp feet (I have an A50).  Looks like a great match.

Edited by TowPro
fixed text

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a pair of 1979 klipschorns. I’m currently powering them with a Sansui AU717 but want to switch to a tube amp. Am currently deliberating between a decware zen triode, and the boyuu range a10 or a50 300b. Am open to other suggestions of course, but curious if anyone out there can advise / explain the differences I’m likely to hear with my k-horns using these different options. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking that question, Mushroomsound. I'm another newbie with the same curiosity. Is anyone with experience regarding the Decware line vs. the Chinese tubage willing to advise us? My Cornwall IIIs are pretty efficient so I'm wondering if the Klipsch/tube combination might provide the "magic" my Schiit solid state Vidar and Aegir combination seem to lack. Even with the Freya+ pre amp this combination doesn't sound bad - it just seems to lack something. Has anyone with similar experience found an answer switching to or somehow integrating a tube amplifier? 

• 4 months later...

I've been running an A12 for several months with zero issues, feeding La Scala II's.  Looking to tube roll a 'lil bit for fun.  Has anyone swapped the 12AX7's for higher quality and matched tubes?  Here's one option https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-12AX7-Matched-Pair/dp/B01IW94PLU/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=12AX7+Preamp+Tubes&qid=1633455402&sr=8-9

Thanks, bmoran. I'm glad to learn at least a couple are having success with a low cost alternative amplifier. I had hoped to find more posts about these amplifiers which, theoretically, might work well with our high sensitivity Klipsch speakers. As a newbie I didn't know which Klipsch speakers would work best for me so I have been fortunate to be able to experiment with different Klipsch speakers and I have worked my way up to a pair of Belles (acquired just last month) while keeping those other somewhat less efficient models acquired along the way. It seems I'm much better at buying than selling. As a result I hope to be able to mix and match some different amplifier/speaker combinations.

Your post follows my inquiry of 4 months ago. Still curious about tubes and the inexpensive amps from China I decided last week to take a chance and experiment with a minimal investment in Chi-Fi electronics so I grabbed a cheap Nobsound 6P1 Vacuum Tube Amplifier. By coincidence your post and my new amp arrived today. I haven't even opened the package yet. Like you, I'm looking forward to playing with different tubes. I have already ordered a set of Russian tubes, based on what I have read about their superior sound reproduction (I saw it on the internet so it must be true). 

Anybody else willing to share their experiences with inexpensive  amplifiers?

I have a couple of the cheap Chinese amplifiers I bought as kits a few years back when you could get them really cheap. I was surprised at the quality of iron offered at such a small cost. Both of them sound really good considering the cost. Also I have heard nothing but good reports on the Boyuu amplifiers. Big price increase because of inflation running rampant this year but still what I consider a bargain for the sound one can get using our speakers. Should be good for any speaker for most folks using 90db or better ones. Horns are perfect for low powered tube amplifiers. 

Just now, henry4841 said:

I have a couple of the cheap Chinese amplifiers I bought as kits a few years back when you could get them really cheap. I was surprised at the quality of iron offered at such a small cost. Both of them sound really good considering the cost. Also I have heard nothing but good reports on the Boyuu amplifiers. Big price increase because of inflation running rampant this year but what I consider a bargain for the sound one can get using our speakers. Should be good for any speaker for most folks using 90db or better. 

On 10/6/2021 at 5:09 AM, Area 51 said:

Thanks, bmoran. I'm glad to learn at least a couple are having success with a low cost alternative amplifier. I had hoped to find more posts about these amplifiers which, theoretically, might work well with our high sensitivity Klipsch speakers. As a newbie I didn't know which Klipsch speakers would work best for me so I have been fortunate to be able to experiment with different Klipsch speakers and I have worked my way up to a pair of Belles (acquired just last month) while keeping those other somewhat less efficient models acquired along the way. It seems I'm much better at buying than selling. As a result I hope to be able to mix and match some different amplifier/speaker combinations.

Your post follows my inquiry of 4 months ago. Still curious about tubes and the inexpensive amps from China I decided last week to take a chance and experiment with a minimal investment in Chi-Fi electronics so I grabbed a cheap Nobsound 6P1 Vacuum Tube Amplifier. By coincidence your post and my new amp arrived today. I haven't even opened the package yet. Like you, I'm looking forward to playing with different tubes. I have already ordered a set of Russian tubes, based on what I have read about their superior sound reproduction (I saw it on the internet so it must i be true). 

Anybody else willing to share their experiences with inexpensive  amplifiers?

I ended up buying the EH 12AX7's.  Will report back once they arrive and get a little run-time.

Honestly, I don't have experience with higher-dollar tube amps so I don't know what I'm missing.  Coming from solid-state, the Reisong is much more laid back and listenable at all volumes on the La Scala II's.  In general, I prefer it over solid-state.  The only thing I miss is the top-end sparkle of solid state.  Maybe a higher quality tube amp wouldn't sacrifice that as much.  Someday, I'll find out for myself.  But for now, the $500 A12 is awesome for the money - just wish it came with a remote.

• Like 1

So I swapped in the EH 12AX7's.  Wasn't expecting much but right away, there is a noticeable improvement in top end sparkle and center image.  Now I may have to try rolling the EL34's to see what happens.  The Tung-Sol's seem well reviewed..

Wow bmoran! 2 12AX7s make that much difference! I look forward to your review of the EL34s. (I couldn't resist so I ordered an A12 to call my own. Amazon dropped it off today).  I don't know how soon I'll be able to get back to my listening room but when I do I'll be comparing the A12 with the Nobsound. What 12AX7s came with your A12? I haven't even peeked inside the box yet so I don't know what I'll be replacing with the Mullards I have ordered. I'm shooting in the dark for sure. Shooting in the dark with my eyes closed because I haven't the slightest idea what I'm doing so I'll be looking to you for help, bmoran. I'll be working on a steep learning curve comparing my new tubeage to my Class A Schiit Aegir and the AB Vidars.

I'll also be comparing my other new acquisition - a pair of Belles acquired just last month - with my other Klipsch speakers including RP600Ms, some Heresys, a pair of old Fortes and a pair of new Cornwall IIIs. Described earlier as "an embarrassment of riches" I hope it's a representative sample sufficient to allow me to decide what I want to live with and what I can live without. I keep looking. I hope you'll continue to post, bmoran. Soon I'm gonna try some of these new toys at my new place. How did I end up with all this good shit - and Schiit? Yeah, in addition to the Schiit amps there's a Freya + pre amp and a Saga - which seems to work better with the Aegir - and a Bifrost DAC. That's a lot of Schiit. How did it happen? I dunno, Man. "I musta got lost. I musta got lost somewhere down the line." "I'm looking here and there, I'm searching everywhere, looking for a love to call my own".

• Like 1