Klipsch Cornwall Type CD

jdmae86

I picked these Klipsch Cornwalls up recently and I am hoping to get some information on the speakers themselves. The ID tags on the back say they are Type CD and the serial #'s are 9P303 and 9P304. I know CD stands for Cornwall Decorator but the black looks to be factory painted to me. When you take the black off you can see that some of the pieces looked to be painted pre-assembly. Could you order Decorators back in 76' and have the factory paint them?  The top left of the speaker is also stamped 'OD' on both of them.  I believe the grills are aftermarket since I haven't seen a single set of Cornwalls with them.  If they are factory black I want to leave them original but if they are not I have been thinking about sanding them down and staining them.  Thanks for your time!

89037401_2584760701846799_1553381085600022528_n.jpg

89035048_511547496434976_2053587098744651776_n.jpg

cornwall.jpg

cornwall2.jpg

Edited by jdmae86
added picture

On 3/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, jdmae86 said:

I picked these Klipsch Cornwalls up recently and I am hoping to get some information on the speakers themselves. The ID tags on the back say they are Type CD and the serial #'s are 9P303 and 9P304. I know CD stands for Cornwall Decorator but the black looks to be factory painted to me. When you take the black off you can see that some of the pieces looked to be painted pre-assembly. Could you order Decorators back in 76' and have the factory paint them?  The top left of the speaker is also stamped 'OD' on both of them.  I believe the grills are aftermarket since I haven't seen a single set of Cornwalls with them.  If they are factory black I want to leave them original but if they are not I have been thinking about sanding them down and staining them.  Thanks for your time!

cornwall.jpg

cornwall2.jpg

On 3/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, jdmae86 said:

cornwall.jpg

cornwall2.jpg

Those are great looking decorators!!!

Those are actually SUPPOSED TO READ "CDBB" on the labels.

The stamped-in initials "OD" stand for the person who sanded those speakers, Ola Mae Davis.  She worked at Klipsch in the sanding room for many years!

The metal woofer grille was not a factory item.

The Klipsch logo badge is correct for the final quarter of the year 1976.  We still had lots of the pie-slice logos when these were built, but had been directed to use ONLY the rectangular logo beginning at the very end of the third quarter of 1976.

Just a friendly suggestion for those that quote posts with pictures.  It's not that hard to backspace all the pics out so it doesn't fill half a page up just to read a one sentence response.  

Just a thought...  :D

Nice speakers, btw.  Carry on.

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

I was under the impression that these 76 speakers should have had the Lazer badges

There were two versions of the rectangular badges which has both the PWK logo AND the "Klipsch" script on them.  These are the first version, but only one batch was ordered, and before we even ran out of the first batch, the so-called "laser badges" WITHOUT the PWK logo on them came in, and we were directed to use those...which lasted for maybe two years or so...then back to the badges that were almost identical to first badges with the PWK logo AND the Klipsch script...which continued until after I left in October 1983.  I won't go into details as to the underlying reason this occurred,  just suffice to say that it was management decisions which drove the changes as the management hierarchy went through a couple of significant changes over a period of 2-3 years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info HDBRbuilder!  

Since they are originally black I am going to leave them period correct.  I purchased Sonicaps to replace the old caps in the Type B crossovers and they came Friday afternoon.   I plan on replacing them tomorrow on my lunch break at work.   I also have a friend of mine recapping the Pioneer SX-636(on the left in the picture) that is going to eventually power these.   The Wife and I are in the middle of remodeling half our house so its going to be a little while before the speakers are setup correctly in our home.   I plan on enjoying them hooked up to a turntable and bluetooth listening until I find a good deal on La Scala's.

23 hours ago, jdmae86 said:

Thanks for the info HDBRbuilder!  

Since they are originally black I am going to leave them period correct.  I purchased Sonicaps to replace the old caps in the Type B crossovers and they came Friday afternoon.   I plan on replacing them tomorrow on my lunch break at work.   I also have a friend of mine recapping the Pioneer SX-636(on the left in the picture) that is going to eventually power these.   The Wife and I are in the middle of remodeling half our house so its going to be a little while before the speakers are setup correctly in our home.   I plan on enjoying them hooked up to a turntable and bluetooth listening until I find a good deal on La Scala's.

Have you ever heard vintage Klipsch Heritage speakers on any of the old early-to-mid-1970's H/K 430, 630, 730, or 930 twin-powered stereo receivers?  If not, give them a try sometime...you might be pleasantly surprised!

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Have you ever heard vintage Klipsch Heritage speakers on any of the old early-to-mid-1970's H/K 430, 630, 730, or 930 twin-powered stereo receivers?  If not, give them a try sometime...you might be pleasantly surprised!

I will keep that in mind... I actually have been looking at the older Harman's lately.  A good friend of mine traded the SX-636 and SX-990 for a newer(late 90's early 2000's) Klipsch 15" subwoofer that I had that the cabinet came unglued.  Both Pioneers need to be restored and cleaned up so it was a fair trade considering how much older Pioneers are going for these days.

Also replaced the caps today in one speaker... 🤘:D🤘

89566118_210643230042478_7223339770087211008_n.jpg

89774987_1279435955778164_4781614909139976192_n.jpg

Edited by jdmae86

5 hours ago, f0rge said:

Did you notice an improvement?  Did you listen to them prior to the fix?

Before I felt like I was listening to music in a fish bowl... everything kind of blended together.   Everything seems more defined now but I am glad I did it.  I found that one of the caps in the 2nd speaker started leaking & the wires had an oily residue on them.  I cleaned up everything with some alcohol wipes and installed the two other sonicaps also.  

Picked up a Marantz today for $40!!  I ended up taking the top off and used compressed air & removed 30+ years of dust bunnies.  The pots need to be deoxited bad but wow did it wake up the Cornwalls!  Only two of the lights work when it's powered up.  I will probably upgrade the lights to LED's and clean up the face when I have it off. It needs a good exterior wipe down and I need to find a wood enclosure for it.  I am still on the hunt for a receiver to trade up to but I feel like I won the lottery again today.

marantz.jpg

Edited by jdmae86