Speaker Grill Magnets

Foxman

57 minutes ago, Foxman said:

Thanks guys, I’ll get those parts express ones for sure. 

Or you could PM me an address and I'll just send you some, I have a bunch.  These are the powerful rare earth magnets.  How many do you need?  -Dave

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Hi Jason ,  How many magnets would you use for a CW  grille frame (8 or 10  )and how many for a  Heresy ( 6 )

Used them on custom sub grilles.

Not sure about the stock frames, they may not be thick enough to drill into and countersink but i suppose you could drill the baffle magnet flush and epoxy the other to the frame.

I wouldn't use magnet-to-magnet as you'd hardly get two half the size in that link apart unless you put something more substantial than grille cloth between them.  Rather, do as they did (with three each side, I think [I'll check in a bit and edit the post if different]) on my Forte IIIs, with the magnet set into the grille frame, and a screw head protruding from the baffle.  Even so, I emplaced a tab of Scotch Super 33 over each magnet...  Them suckers are wicked strong!

1 hour ago, glens said:

I wouldn't use magnet-to-magnet as you'd hardly get two half the size in that link apart unless you put something more substantial than grille cloth between them.  Rather, do as they did (with three each side, I think [I'll check in a bit and edit the post if different]) on my Forte IIIs, with the magnet set into the grille frame, and a screw head protruding from the baffle.  Even so, I emplaced a tab of Scotch Super 33 over each magnet...  Them suckers are wicked strong!

I thought the screw was holding the magnet. Maybe it is just a screw and the magnet is in the grill.

8 minutes ago, Randyh said:

yes , correct  Jason --- the Forte grilles might be thicker framed , than CW 1 - h1 maconite boards , no oroblem , we'll go thinner in the grille -  

The magnets are very strong, as for how many it would depend on the sturdiness and weight of the frame itself.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, Foxman said:

I thought the screw was holding the magnet. Maybe it is just a screw and the magnet is in the grill.

I haven't performed any dissection.  On my F-iii it appears as though the in-frame magnet merely clings to the screw head protruding from the baffle.  But in this case the magnets only have to hold the grille snug to the baffle.  The grille is otherwise held in place at its perimeter by the cabinet edges.  If you need to support the grille laterally / vertically as well, you may need magnet-to-magnet.  But I'm not sure how you'd reliably get them apart again other than by sliding the grille off.  I'd think you'd need something other that adhesive to mount the magnets, too.

• Like 1