LF La Scala with KP320's?

NRED

Randyh,

Thanks for writing.

I’ve attached a better pic of one of the woofers. as you can see it is an EVM 15L. 

You made me look though!

I’m writing this on a cell phone and it’s hard to write as clearly/ accurately as I’d like. 

I can’t imagine that I’d be very satisfied with a bass instrument speaker loaded in there,...

Beyond being less efficient, which should be managed with more power(?), what other issues /challenges do you think I’ll run into with these drivers vs. the K-43’s?

’Best,

Neil

2C6201D6-1E35-4D26-8838-7A7495B39EA2.jpeg

On 4/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, NRED said:

the gasket is seen in the pic three up from the botto the gasket is seen in the pic three up from the bottomm

Yup... not what I was thinking. Looks a bit much.

Those woofers, if not damaged, should should fine. Klipsch used the 12 inch EV woofers in industrial Heresy speakers for a while. Wondering if the followed suit in the LS industrial during the same time period.

Marvel,

Yup, me neither.

Do you have a recommendation for a suitable gasket material? 

As for the woofers, they seem in fine shape physically. I did run them full range with a Crown   D 150A II I repaired last week. They seem all there, but with that amp (“only” 80wpc) and run full range it was hard to tell. It was more a test of the amp to see if the smoke stayed inside, really. (It did. Yay.)

My research is showing these originally had K-43’s loaded. Those were rated at 200W I believe.  I recall seeing somewhere that EV did make some of their drivers, but may have been mid-range drivers. I am surely no Klipsch expert. This site is making it easier to come to grips with them, that’s for sure, so thanks to all the other folks who have posted over the years. I’ve been cruising it a lot. It has been very enlightening. There are some real hardcore Klipsch people out there!

One of my original questions was using these bins with a pair of KP 320’s. I’ve learned that the 320’s are somewhat rare (my life is funny that way; I’m a Lotus car owner, too ,...).The Klipsch site had a product brochure claiming the 320’s went down to 49Hz. The bins only go down to 40Hz or so. The bins, when paired with their respective HF enclosures, are crossed over at 400Hz, from what I’ve seen so far. I guess I’ll try that as a starting point and see what happens.

For somewhat larger venues where the 320’s could use some help it may free up some headroom on them and just let the bins do their part.

As always, I’m open to spiritual advice on anything to do with this odd pairing of Klipsch gear. 

I can’t wait to get them in the same place at the same time!

‘Best,

Neil