New Audio Set up/ RF-82 II

ReedG

Hi,

brand new to this forum and to higher end home audio equipment. I just purchased a used amp and speaker pairing  used, Klipsch RF-82 II paired with a Denon AVR-S540BT. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with this set up, as well as bi-amping these speakers with the denon. This amp does have 5 discrete outputs so it could be done, however im not sure if the specs of these outputs would match the speakers or if these speakers would even benefit from bi-amping. 

the specs of the denon outputs going to the speakers are below

main(going to woofers) - 70W (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2ch Drive)

surround(going to tweeter) - 90W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2ch Drive)

the specs for the rf-82 II speakers are

8 ohms, 150W RMS / 600W Peak, 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m

frequency response is: 33Hz-24KHz ± 3dB / and the passive crossover is at 1400Hz

what im kind of concerned about bi amping these speakers is that the crossover between the amp and speakers will drop more frequencies between a bad amp and speaker pairing than just using the speakers passive crossover. these speakers seem efficient enough to the point that a low watt amp at 70 would be fine powering both tweeter and woofer pairs on the speaker.

i hope this makes sense. im trying to absorb as much info as i can about audio at this level. thanks

it wont be any different unless you have a separate 4 channel amp to run the 82s. Even though its says 70 watts per channel,that's one channel. once you run more than one speaker it starts to cut down . once you start running 5 speakers , you are only putting about 30 to 40 watts per channel. So just make sure the brass plates are on the back of the speaker and run on 1 channel.

14 hours ago, TomR said:

it wont be any different unless you have a separate 4 channel amp to run the 82s. Even though its says 70 watts per channel,that's one channel. once you run more than one speaker it starts to cut down . once you start running 5 speakers , you are only putting about 30 to 40 watts per channel. So just make sure the brass plates are on the back of the speaker and run on 1 channel.

My amp does have 4 separate channels as output, wouldn't this allow me to bi-amp? just trying to understand your answer.

just out of curiosity, i have read that the plates are not as clean of a signal as insulated cable. do you have a preference between cables or plates when using the speakers passive crossover?

If you are using the denons amp s in the receiver, it will cut down. Depends on how many speakers you are hooking up, depends on how much it will send to the speaker. They are not dedicated amps. The only way to do that is with a separate amp. Look up sound and vision magazine from 2010, they have all the amp outputs on certain receiver s. It doesn't matter which one you look up, you will understand what I'm talking about. There are no laws written on how companies rate their receiver s. What you are reading is one channel at a time, once you hook up another speaker it drops down drasticly

What are you trying to gain by biamping? Generally you would do that in an active crossover system where you want to manually adjust the crossover points to complement whatever (sometimes custom) tweeters and drivers you're using, but Klipsch has done a good job with crossovers for the most part. I'm guessing any benefit you're attempting to gain by biamping these speakers will be lost in the complexity of trying to make your amp do something it's not designed to do.

I wouldn't go to complicated. Just go with some good quality oxygen-free monoprice like Tom suggested, or you can use the famous HD14G cables like I have used before (Home Depot 14 gauge extension cables) and enjoy the speakers.

Welcome....nice system, it should sound wonderful. What are you looking to gain or change? I assume this is for 2 channel. What is the source? A dedicated 2 channel amp can usually help. I'm in the same camp as most, probably not an audible difference by bi-amping that combo.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, TomR said:

If you are using the denons amp s in the receiver, it will cut down. Depends on how many speakers you are hooking up, depends on how much it will send to the speaker. They are not dedicated amps. The only way to do that is with a separate amp. Look up sound and vision magazine from 2010, they have all the amp outputs on certain receiver s. It doesn't matter which one you look up, you will understand what I'm talking about. There are no laws written on how companies rate their receiver s. What you are reading is one channel at a time, once you hook up another speaker it drops down drasticly

thanks for the resource. when denon said that this receiver/amp had 5 discrete outputs i assumed that i mean that each output had its own amp which output at the specs for that channel. based on your answer it seems that this is not the case. thanks for the advice on the cables. essentially what i am trying to understand is how to optimize my current set up. considering that the amp is not the optimized equipment for these speakers i really won't benefit from bi amping, and oxygen free cable will be fine and i really won't see noticeable upgrades from higher end specialized wiring.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, danalog02 said:

What are you trying to gain by biamping? Generally you would do that in an active crossover system where you want to manually adjust the crossover points to complement whatever (sometimes custom) tweeters and drivers you're using, but Klipsch has done a good job with crossovers for the most part. I'm guessing any benefit you're attempting to gain by biamping these speakers will be lost in the complexity of trying to make your amp do something it's not designed to do.

I wouldn't go to complicated. Just go with some good quality oxygen-free monoprice like Tom suggested, or you can use the famous HD14G cables like I have used before (Home Depot 14 gauge extension cables) and enjoy the speakers.

thanks for the reply. what i was trying to gain through bi-amping was trying to balance, or spread out the power across multiple amped outputs so that the main speaker output (which is at 70 watts) wasn't being overloaded. the speakers are at 150 watts but very efficient so there may not be to much of a power draw from a channel that isn't putting out that many watts. however what im realizing is that bi-amping requires a little more customization that my system currently has and so i may not see any true benefits.

Just now, ReedG said:

thanks for the reply. what i was trying to gain through bi-amping was trying to balance, or spread out the power across multiple amped outputs so that the main speaker output (which is at 70 watts) wasn't being overloaded. the speakers are at 150 watts but very efficient so there may not be to much of a power draw from a channel that isn't putting out that many watts. however what im realizing is that bi-amping requires a little more customization that my system currently has and so i may not see any true benefits.

I would agree. Between the high efficiency of Klipsch speakers in general, and the lack of true biamping capability of your setup, I'd bag it and not worry about it. Biamping really only pays off when you've done something custom with your different drivers, or in a situation where the highs, mids and/or lows all have very different power draw requirements.

Those RF-82s will give you a headache long before you push them past operating specs. Good luck and happy listening!

• Like 1

@Ceptorman thanks! i think this will be a fun step into higher end home audio equipment. im trying to sort out a lot of the complex information out there about these systems. i think my next step is to try and really understand the specs of this denon amp. i bought the amp and speakers as a package but i am realizing that if i wanted to really optimize this set up, a new amp that suits these speakers better would be the way to go. i have listened to this set up a few times before and really liked it. until them in gonna not overthink it and enjoy.

On 3/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, ReedG said:

@Ceptorman thanks! i think this will be a fun step into higher end home audio equipment. im trying to sort out a lot of the complex information out there about these systems. i think my next step is to try and really understand the specs of this denon amp. i bought the amp and speakers as a package but i am realizing that if i wanted to really optimize this set up, a new amp that suits these speakers better would be the way to go. i have listened to this set up a few times before and really liked it. until them in gonna not overthink it and enjoy.

That's some very good advice. Some people over analyze every step along the way and don't sit back and enjoy their system. Play with it, move the speakers just an inch can make a difference.

• Like 1