Speakerlab K horn rebuild help

danalog02

Just now, danalog02 said:

What do you need to get out of them? I was really only looking to get a 2nd K-77-M. I still have to find a pair of crossovers and buy a new pair of 15's too.

Fair Market Value is higher than DaveA's sMAHL tweeters, which I recommend highly, so looking to get $400 for the pair (they can only be purchased used). I also have quite a few K77 tweeters in Alnico and Ceramic magnets, so I do have the "M" version. $115/pair including shipping.

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Fair Market Value is higher than DaveA's sMAHL tweeters, which I recommend highly, so looking to get $400 for the pair (they can only be purchased used). I also have quite a few K77 tweeters in Alnico and Ceramic magnets, so I do have the "M" version. $115/pair including shipping.

That's a bit more than I'm looking to spend although I've read they're really nice. I only need one tweeter, so I'll understand if you only sell pairs. I need 1 M version (square magnet).

27 minutes ago, danalog02 said:

That's a bit more than I'm looking to spend although I've read they're really nice. I only need one tweeter, so I'll understand if you only sell pairs. I need 1 M version (square magnet).

I can sell just one if you like. The only I suggested the pair is they are guaranteed to match, which may not be the case if you only get one.

Assuming no one has AA crossovers to sell or that they're willing to part with, I'm considering going the route of Crites B&K Sound Type A/4500 Crossover with some Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeters that @Khornukopia has been using extensively in his crazy beautiful Khorn & home theater builds.

Anyone have experience with these or maybe have a pair of A/4500's to sell? I don't have any issues with Bob Crites or what he sells, I just hate throwing all my money in the same direction.

I've had an ad up in classifieds here for a few days, but haven't gotten any nibbles on the AA's.

18 hours ago, danalog02 said:

Assuming no one has AA crossovers to sell or that they're willing to part with, I'm considering going the route of Crites B&K Sound Type A/4500 Crossover with some Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeters that @Khornukopia has been using extensively in his crazy beautiful Khorn & home theater builds.

Anyone have experience with these or maybe have a pair of A/4500's to sell? I don't have any issues with Bob Crites or what he sells, I just hate throwing all my money in the same direction.

I've had an ad up in classifieds here for a few days, but haven't gotten any nibbles on the AA's.

I'm pondering on selling a spare set of Type AA's that I rebuilt right before I built a new set from scratch for my Belle clones.  They have all stock parts except I replaced the original caps with some NOS Russian MGBT paper in oil caps from a seller in Bulgaria.  They sounded quite nice but I didn't use them for long.  I may put them back in and see what they sound like again before I decide what to do.  This is what they look like.

Original AA after.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I'm pondering on selling a spare set of Type AA's that I rebuilt right before I built a new set from scratch for my Belle clones.  They have all stock parts except I replaced the original caps with some NOS Russian MGBT paper in oil caps from a seller in Bulgaria.  They sounded quite nice but I didn't use them for long.  I may put them back in and see what they sound like again before I decide what to do.  This is what they look like.

Original AA after.jpg

Thanks for the thought. Just let me know at your earliest convenience as I've had a generous offer from @Dave A to help me convert a set of E-types into AA's. Those do look very nice. Assuming you were to sell them, what would you need out of them, shipped to 37128?

4 minutes ago, danalog02 said:

Thanks for the thought. Just let me know at your earliest convenience as I've had a generous offer from @Dave A to help me convert a set of E-types into AA's. Those do look very nice. Assuming you were to sell them, what would you need out of them, shipped to 37128?

I was just thinking that earlier about the Type E's and converting.  You get the T2A autoformer and 2.5mh inductor then all you need are four 2.0uf caps, two 13uf caps , and two .25mh inductors if you keep it like the stock value.  Keep an eye on e b a y for the Type E's as they will go for cheaper.

I'll let you know when I get them out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

I was just thinking that earlier about the Type E's and converting.  You get the T2A autoformer and 2.5mh inductor then all you need are four 2.0uf caps, two 13uf caps , and two .25mh inductors if you keep it like the stock value.  Keep an eye on e b a y for the Type E's as they will go for cheaper.

I'll let you know when I get them out.

Hi! Just to save you from going to any trouble on my behalf, I've ordered the necessary Type E crossovers and @Dave A is going to help me convert them. He only lives about an hour away and has graciously volunteered his time and parts to get me up and running. Thank you very much for the offer, though.

Great bunch of folks around here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, danalog02 said:

Hi! Just to save you from going to any trouble on my behalf, I've ordered the necessary Type E crossovers and @Dave A is going to help me convert them. He only lives about an hour away and has graciously volunteered his time and parts to get me up and running. Thank you very much for the offer, though.

Great bunch of folks around here.

That's awesome!  Dave is a great guy and I'm always glad to help out those around me in the same way should the need arise.  I'll keep following your progress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danalog02 said:

New stuff day! Well, new to me anyway. The Type E crossovers I ordered arrived a little while ago and I'm hyped for hanging out with @Dave A and @brandonnash next Saturday to turn them into AA's.

20200314_134043.jpg

try turning one of those oil cans 90 degrees to the other (on the centre line of each) and see if you increase your resolution and detail. Enjoy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moray james said:

try turning one of those oil cans 90 degrees to the other (on the centre line of each) and see if you increase your resolution and detail. Enjoy.

We'll most likely be ditching them entirely, but thanks for the suggestion. They are fun to look at, though.

• Like 1