SPL-150 vs. R-115SW Subwoofer Comparison

inMotionGraphics

Has anyone done a direct comparison between the new SPL-150 and the old R-115SW 15 inch subwoofers? I can get both here in South Africa at the moment, but I am unsure which one would be the better one to go with. The specs on paper look virtually identical from what I can tell, and I know the 115 had some amp issues, while the new 150 has an entirely new amp in it. So that alone should be reason enough to go with the new version, but I must be honest, I do like the build and look of the old version more. The plinth and baffle face plate on old one give it a more refined and upmarket look in my opinion.

So I'm wondering whether there is any real world performance differences and if one is actually better than the other. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

They're almost identical.  Amps are even interchangeable.  The new amp supposedly has a resistor modification to help with longevity plus the new finish looks significantly better so I'd get the SPL-150 myself but between tariffs and the 115's being blown out, it's probably a big price hike.  

You can still easily find the  r115sw (new old stock) on Amazon for $300-$400 less than the spl150. Most of the r115sw's produced close to the end of the production run should have the new revision of the power amplifier. Even if it by some chance it doesn't a newer amplifier,  you can get one from Klipsch for about $220. Which still keeps it under the cost of the spl150. Imo, the r115sw looks nicer.

Edited by Ron DB
correction
  • Like 1

Hi guys, thank you very much for your input on this. So the takeaway I get from this is that the subs are the same technically and sound performance wise as far as we can tell, but most would agree that the 115's look better. The price difference here in South Africa is marginally different, but I might have to go with the new one in case I want to get another one later and would end up with two different looking ones... 

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

I might have to go with the new one in case I want to get another one later and would end up with two different looking ones... 

Good reason.  That is exactly why I went with the SPL-150 a year ago.  Glad I did as I just ordered another one tonight.   Regardless of model, you are going to love it.

4 hours ago, hobbyinn said:

Good reason.  That is exactly why I went with the SPL-150 a year ago.  Glad I did as I just ordered another one tonight.   Regardless of model, you are going to love it.

Ah, that's great to hear... I've got my new SPL-150 standing here in the box ready to go... only problem is I forgot to buy another subwoofer cable before we went into a nationwide lockdown, so I can't integrate it until businesses are allowed to open again... rookie mistake... 😞

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Ah, that's great to hear... I've got my new SPL-150 standing here in the box ready to go... only problem is I forgot to buy another subwoofer cable before we went into a nationwide lockdown, so I can't integrate it until businesses are allowed to open again... rookie mistake... 😞

You don't have a single unused RCA cable in that box of cables everyone has?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

You don't have a single unused RCA cable in that box of cables everyone has?

I have plenty of regular RCA cables that I no longer use, but they're all the regular 1m or 1.5m lengths, which probably won't be long enough to move the sub around to find the optimum position and integrate it with my other sub. But I'll go through my cables just in case... 🙂

• Like 1