Forte I - should I buy?

nealmd

I'm looking at a Forte I in walnut for 750 at a used hifi store. All parts are original-- they sound good to my ears, but wondering what I'd have to put into it to get it up to tip-top shape. anything else besides new crossovers? And, related question, do you need to know how to solder to install a new crossover-- lets say the crites for example? 

Also, is 750 a fair price? 

I'm new here, so thank you for the help! 

• Like 1

Replacing the caps is easy: I did it with my Heresys 1972. It was the first time in my life I held a soldering iron. Leave the old caps where they are and fixate the new ones next to the old ones. My 1972 tweeters, squawkers and woofers were still in excellent condition so I kept them. Listening to them as I type this 

• Like 2

If you do buy them, listen to them and enjoy. When it is right time, there is people who will help with the network /crossover s. Practice soldering meanwhile to save money unless you have plenty.

Speaking of money that is rather high...imo

Welcome to the forum...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

If you do buy them, listen to them and enjoy. When it is right time, there is people who will help with the network /crossover s. Practice soldering meanwhile to save money unless you have plenty.

Speaking of money that is rather high...imo

Welcome to the forum...

If you have some pictures of them that would help here. They would have to be might y minty for me to pay that much for them. Thinking 4 to 5 tops, and then, only nice condition...imo

• Like 1

• Moderators

750 sounds high, also depends on condition and location. Plus how bad your wanting them.  I never paid more than 550 but all three pair had minor nicks and not perfect, but they were going for HT and I was not being picky since they rarely come up for sale around here.

• Like 1

Well, driving 4 or 5 hours one way to "save" a couple hundred bucks would be a wash in my book, so if they're just down the road from you, they're what you want, and you consider the price fair, then quit posting and go get 'em!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ILI said:

Replacing the caps is easy: I did it with my Heresys 1972. It was the first time in my life I held a soldering iron. Leave the old caps where they are and fixate the new ones next to the old ones. My 1972 tweeters, squawkers and woofers were still in excellent condition so I kept them. Listening to them as I type this 

Quite a bit different for most people soldering on a PC board vs what old Heresys required.

Price is high though if you have to have them, a couple of hundred might be worth it.  Sad they have stuff stacked on top of them and also, if stuff is on top of them, they have probably been sitting there for a while.  Negotiate.

I got a pair of "B" stock current model from Cory before the price hike.  I have no idea what the cost may be at this time, but I may have finally figured out why they were so marked.  In the right light (brighter than normal for their current venue), there could possibly be considered a discrepancy between the "sheen" of the edge banding between the vertical and horizontal surfaces of the forward-facing cabinet edges.   Maybe....  But that's really looking for something!  Even so, the cost is going to be more than double of what's under consideration here.  I'm sure the saying "A bird in the hand..." is likely true here, especially if the "hand" is thirty minutes or less from home.

I'm not a fan of haggling because when (if) I put a price on something I consider it fair for all involved, and am somewhat offended by counter-offers.  I'm sure I'm naive in projecting that sentiment to all others, though I yet do it in most instances.  In this case 650 would be a fair offer, but I'd personally make no less.

I especially dislike the notion that if giving "cash money" it would be worth less.  I was expecting that anyway; I ain't takin' no checks!

19 hours ago, nealmd said:

I'm new here, so thank you for the help! 

The prices are all over the place. Depending on location, time of the year, alignment of the planets, if there is a comet in the area, and just pure luck will all play a part in what the prices are. As you can see, most here says that is a high price, because it is. The Forte is a great speaker and can begin your addiction or satisfy your ears. The Forte 2 and 3 at are more better and morer betterer, respectively.  Take some time and watch the market and be ready to pounce, with knowledge, when a deal is to be grabbed....  

Also, if you do get the Forte, they are a little placement sensitive. ...there is a best spot for them. I have move them forward n back, in and out, toed this way then that until they were just right. The Forte have been one of only a few pair of speakers that I have had 'vanish' to where the music didn't sound like it was coming from the speakers and presented a sound stage.   

• Like 2