Outdoor AW-650

Hi all,

just put my hands on 6 x AW-650 for dirt cheap off facebook marketplace and now can’t wait for spring so i can set all of this up outside!

i have an old Denon AVR-1613 5ch amp that is not being used. Any input on that amp for those speakers? I fear it might be underpowered but on the other hand i will most likely never crank those to high volumes has i want to keep a good relationship with my neighbours lol.

i was also thinking using only 4 outside and using the other two to complete my surround sound setup. Currently have RF-63’s with a RSW-12 and soon RC-62 for center running off a Denon AVR-4308ci

thanks for your input! 

cheers,

• Like 2

I have a pair of these and I’m happy with the aw650, however it’s a very sensitive speaker. I would recommend using a clean low wpc amp or receiver with them.

Perhaps my outdoor environment is to large for just two of them, I used combined with RB-61 II bookshelves and a SW120 and just didn’t think they had enough output volume at clean levels. I think the AW650’s shine when used for directional applications. They work good for rears, but you can’t space them to far out and they need reflective surfaces to be optimal- at least from my experience.

I also got mine dirt cheap, I think I paid $190 for the pair (new in box, unused) I imagine with 6 you could build a great sound scape in 5.1 and double up the center channel by using two of them. I would say optimal placement is about 3-5ft away from the listening position.

If you’re using a AVR receiver I would highly recommend using in-line fuses with these, I already have blown out the horn diaphragm on one of them after about 12 hours of use.

That’s a great price for unopened boxes!! I got mine for 45$can each but used with some cosmetic imperfections on some of them.

was thinking of using my denon avr-1613 which is rated 75w @ 0.08% thd to drive 4 of them outside in a quad stereo setup and use the two other as rears in my home theatre setup on a denon avr 4308ci rated 140w @ 0.05% thd.

i know nothing about in-line fuses...maybe i will have to get more knowledgeable on that matter. 

So you suggest i look into that with those amps/speakers?

• Like 1