CHORUS TWEETER

Pandy

Does anyone recommend new diaphragms for the Chorus I speakers? I may upgrade the tweeters but I'm not sold on replacing them with Titanium, looking for alternatives. I did a search on this forum, didn't find what I was looking for.  

I personally love Crites titanium tweeters. You could always get a set of MAHL tweeters from @Dave A. I haven't heard these in modern heritage, but others have and like them. This will be a more expensive route since its the entire horn and driver replacement.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pandy said:

Do tweeters get worn or dulled after thirty years? I was just wondering if they could be replaced with something similar than the ones that they came with. 

your phenolic Chorus tweeters will sound the same now as they did thirty years ago no worries and will still sound the same in another thirty years. Are there better diaphragms imo yes are there better diaphragm/drivers imo yes, ymmv. If you are pleased with the sound  leave them alone. Has Klipsch switched from Phenolic to other materials, yes to titanium. For around 50 bucks you can buy a pair of titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites and decide for yourself if you like them better or not.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pandy said:

Does anyone recommend new diaphragms for the Chorus I speakers? I may upgrade the tweeters but I'm not sold on replacing them with Titanium, looking for alternatives. I did a search on this forum, didn't find what I was looking for.  

If your crossovers have not had the caps replaced, I would start there.  Then see if you don't like the tweeters.

• Like 3

Recap those crossovers and use a 68uf Audyn poly cap from Parts Express for the woofer circuit, not the electrolytic ones. Every Chorus I get is recapped and yes all those old mylar caps are no good.  Best cheap most dollar effective Chorus upgrade is recapping.

• 3 years later...
On 3/7/2020 at 11:29 AM, Dave A said:

Recap those crossovers and use a 68uf Audyn poly cap from Parts Express for the woofer circuit, not the electrolytic ones. Every Chorus I get is recapped and yes all those old mylar caps are no good.  Best cheap most dollar effective Chorus upgrade is recapping.

I just purchased a pair of Choruses last week and listened to them for 5 days before recapping per Dave A's suggestion.

I never thought that recapping would make such a difference!  I have recapped multiple other speakers and not heard such a difference.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rebos said:

I just purchased a pair of Choruses last week and listened to them for 5 days before recapping per Dave A's suggestion.

I never thought that recapping would make such a difference!  I have recapped multiple other speakers and not heard such a difference.

Yes, they were due... enjoy!