ISO Center channel recommendations

danalog02

Good morning all.

So I'm wanting to do something nice for my Dad, and I thought I'd buy him a pair of Klipsch speakers. The last several times he's come over for a visit, he's commented on and complimented my 1982 Heresys and is interested in my Speakerlab Khorn restoration project. He said he'd love to have a pair of speakers like mine, but didn't have the room.

So I'm planning on buying him a set of RP-600m speakers and I was thinking about getting a "matching" center channel to go with it. Price is a bit of a factor, so I guess I'm asking what y'all think about pairing something like the R-25C, R-52C, RC-42IIBL or similar with the RP-600M.

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, danalog02 said:

Good morning all.

So I'm wanting to do something nice for my Dad, and I thought I'd buy him a pair of Klipsch speakers. The last several times he's come over for a visit, he's commented on and complimented my 1982 Heresys and is interested in my Speakerlab Khorn restoration project. He said he'd love to have a pair of speakers like mine, but didn't have the room.

So I'm planning on buying him a set of RP-600m speakers and I was thinking about getting a "matching" center channel to go with it. Price is a bit of a factor, so I guess I'm asking what y'all think about pairing something like the R-25C, R-52C, RC-42IIBL or similar with the RP-600M.

Thoughts?

Just the RP-600m's, I decent Chinese made integrated tube amp, and a music streaming setup would be sweet and reasonable (laptop to DAC, chromecast audio, etc.).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-Class-A-Single-End-EL34-Vintage-Vacuum-Tube-Integrated-AMP/201689576499?hash=item2ef5a2b433:g:HwoAAOSwDJFdT2xL

1696661245_Annotation2020-03-04175040.jpg.d58619d2483b400f54a8bd81f1ee4a84.jpg

On 3/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, MechEngVic said:

Just the RP-600m's, I decent Chinese made integrated tube amp, and a music streaming setup would be sweet and reasonable (laptop to DAC, chromecast audio, etc.).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-Class-A-Single-End-EL34-Vintage-Vacuum-Tube-Integrated-AMP/201689576499?hash=item2ef5a2b433:g:HwoAAOSwDJFdT2xL

1696661245_Annotation2020-03-04175040.jpg.d58619d2483b400f54a8bd81f1ee4a84.jpg

Hello! That's an interesting amp, I thought things like this one are more expensive. 

Is it good for any music genres? Jazz, Acoustic, Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop
And can I connect a subwoofer to it?

Edited by Chad
removed strange link

On 3/8/2020 at 12:19 AM, Anton said:

Hello! That's an interesting amp, I thought things like this one are more expensive. 

It does not have a dedicated subwoofer out. From the reviews I've read, many say it sounds much better than they expected, sounding as good as amps costing much more. If you wanted to try a tube amp and save money, this would be a good choice. 

On 3/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, danalog02 said:

I guess I'm asking what y'all think about pairing something like the R-25C, R-52C, RC-42IIBL or similar with the RP-600M.

I like the "y'all".  Especially when it's an "all y'all"!  (A particularly great way of saying "each and every one of you"!)

I have no familiarity with any of the mentioned models.   If there's an "RP"-whatever it'd likely be best.  Unless it's an MTM design that's horizontal.  Those don't (can't) work right for horizontal spread.

How's about 3 of the suggested model?  Can they be bought in odd lots? 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 3:19 AM, Anton said:

You could always use the speaker-level inputs on a subwoofer. Run your left and right speaker outputs from your main amplifier or receiver to the "high level input" section of your subwoofer, set your crossover point at the sub (probably around 80 Hz), then use the speaker-level "high level" outputs to go to your left and right speakers. Just use some high quality speaker cables (Monoprice and Amazon Basics both have good quality, oxygen-free cables for not much) to make as short runs as possible, leaving some slack to move things around.

3 hours ago, glens said:

I like the "y'all".  Especially when it's an "all y'all"!  (A particularly great way of saying "each and every one of you"!)

I have no familiarity with any of the mentioned models.   If there's an "RP"-whatever it'd likely be best.  Unless it's an MTM design that's horizontal.  Those don't (can't) work right for horizontal spread.

How's about 3 of the suggested model?  Can they be bought in odd lots? 

What can I say? I come by it honestly. It's a good, all-purpose word. I'll probably skip the center channel and just get my dad a pair of RP-600m's as it seems the price has inexplicably gone up. Import duties I'm assuming?