A Quick Rundown of the "New Guy's" System...

Charles T

Other than just the gallery, I don't see a dedicated area for members systems and such, as well as no area for new members meet & greet or anything like that, so here's this instead...

I just wanted to make a quick post of my system and just lightly touch on my history with Klipsch. 

I was 4 years old when I was first exposed to Klipsch, in a pair of Cornwall's back in 1979. Not that I actually remember that, but still. I grew up with those speakers in my father's system. Move ahead 20 years and I was able to have said Cornwall's in my own system for around 7 years. In that amount of time, I replaced all of the original motor-run caps with new ones from Bob Crites. Shortly after that and hearing the stock tweeters come back to life, but still a little too rolled off for my liking at the time, I contacted Bob again and purchased a pair of his drop-in tweeters. I also modded the stock crossovers slightly to make the midrange into a true bandpass filter instead of the squawker blasting all the way out to its limits, creating that honk and shrill all of the older Klipsch were known for (unfortunately). Spending very little money for those upgrades and mods really transformed those old Cornwall's. 

The other unfortunate thing is, he wanted them back so he could sell them, so I removed the Crites tweeters, put the stockers back in and left the crossovers modded, and he sold them a couple weeks later. Really sucks because I really liked those speakers, but didn't make the big bucks back then to buy them off of him. Oh well. 

Move ahead another 14 years or so and I now have a pair of Klipsch that I can call my very own, a pair of mint Heresy III's, purchased second hand from a gentleman up in Georgia a few months back. He bought them new and barely used them for the year that he owned them. 

Anyway, here's a list of the gear and a pic just taken moments ago... With a kitty!

Preamp | Amplifiers: Schiit Freya + | Schiit Mani | Schiit Aegir x 2
Analog Sources: Music Hall MMF-7.3 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze
DAC | Digital Sources: Schiit Bifrost 2 Multibit | Bluesound Node 2 | Roku Ultra
Speakers: Klipsch Heresy III | Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio | APC
Cables: Audioquest | Wireworld | Pangea Audio | Mojo Audio

p3847575150-5.jpg

p3842473163-5.jpg

Edited by Charles T
  • Like 11

Thanks guys.

It's a small, simple system, the smallest and simplest I have had honestly, and is probably one of the best overall performing systems as well.

I'm still shocked every day at how "audiophile" sounding these Heresy III's are. Dynamic yet delicate, detailed yet smooth, can effortlessly play loud without strain and stay engaging and exciting without fatigue. With the combination of the Heresy's and the old Polk subs (don't knock them, they do extremely well when properly set up and connected via high-level inputs with Wireworld Oasis 7 bi-wire speaker cables - much better than the JL e110 subs I have sitting in the closet for the past year), it's a wonderful combo that, sorry to say, simply blows those old Cornwall's out of the water in every way. These Heresy III's are just so much more advanced and refined all the way around and with the help of the subs, extend down much lower and maintain excellent detail and texture. 

With that being said, I am kind of looking to upgrade those subs as they're going on 12 years old now and are  a little lacking below 25 Hz or so. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Charles T said:

Dynamic yet delicate, detailed yet smooth, can effortlessly play loud without strain and stay engaging and exciting without fatigue.

Sounds perfect, glad your enjoying them, that a lot of sound for a relatively small size.

I like what you did with the subs, just to fill in the bottom end. Small and simple as you say is not important, it's what it sounds like, that's all that really matters.

Cool looking room also. (and kitties)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

Sounds perfect, glad your enjoying them, that a lot of sound for a relatively small size.

I like what you did with the subs, just to fill in the bottom end. Small and simple as you say is not important, it's what it sounds like, that's all that really matters.

Cool looking room also. (and kitties)

Thank you! 

True, it's a lot of sound for this room (12.5' x 15.5' x 8.5') IIRC, but it sounds so good and has an overall effortless sound. A rather big sound improvement was with the recent addition of the plush area rug. It helped out a lot!

The subs aren't even turned up a 1/4 of the way, and they blend seamlessly with the Heresy's. I have them mounted on top of IsoAcoustic isolators. They are the same model number isolator, but one is a year newer and re-designed, so it's a slightly different style and as you can tell, slightly shorter as well (the one on the left). But... They do their job and made a noticeable improvement in the sound, cleaner, tighter. 

Here's a view from the kitchen door, and the Ikea cube thing holding my LP's...

p3809513263-5.jpg

p3516891023-5.jpg

p3516891029-5.jpg

Edited by Charles T
  • Like 6

• Moderators

Looks nice, from looking at the room pic and where the speakers are pointing you sit by the laptop on the end I guess ?

With the speakers that far from the back wall your getting a different sound than where most people would put them, it would be interesting to hear. 

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

Looks nice, from looking at the room pic and where the speakers are pointing you sit by the laptop on the endI guess?

With the speakers that far from the back wall your getting a different sound than where most people would put them, it would be interesting to hear. 

Correct. 

The front baffles of the Heresy's are exactly 3.5' in front of the wall, and their centers are exactly 2' from the side walls, toed in slightly where their paths probably cross about 15' behind me... Well into the mud room. Maybe even further! LOL

In my seated position, my ears are right at the top edge of where the woofer and midrange horn join. So the tweeter is about 4" above my ears. But you know what, it actually sounds better this way than inline with the tweeters as I sat on a couple of stacked pillows to get my ears at the same level as the tweeters. It still sounded good, but there was just something about it that didn't sit well with me. Being below the tweeters actually sounds better, at least for me. In fact, these tweeters sound like a really good silk dome tweeter. I think I might have already said that elsewhere... 

Come on down and give them a listen. I have a NAS drive full of FLAC ripped CD's as well as Qobuz and Tidal. You want it, I got it! LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, willland said:

@Charles T,

I say a pretty rocking system.  All my 2-channel systems are pretty simple and I kind of like it that way.

Great to see more West/Central Florida folks on the forum.  Hook up with @Youthman in Plant City.

Bill

Thanks for the complement! 

I thought that name sounded familiar. I've stumbled across some of his videos on YouTube in the past. That's one heck of a theater system. I knew he was in Florida, but not literally right next door. 

1 minute ago, Charles T said:

Thanks for the complement! 

You are welcome.

2 minutes ago, Charles T said:

I thought that name @Youthmansounded familiar. I've stumbled across some of his videos on YouTube in the past. That's one heck of a theater system. I knew he was in Florida, but not literally right next door. 

Do yourself a favor and get to know him.  My life is better because of our friendship.

Bill

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, willland said:

You are welcome.

Do yourself a favor and get to know him.  My life is better because of our friendship.

Bill

Looking through the forum, I've noticed there's quite a few members here in FL, a lot in somewhat Central FL. We should all have get-togethers every once in a while. I think it would be fun. Get to listen to different systems, share tips and tricks, etc, etc. 

Curious... Why do you say your life is much better because of the friendship? 

I could use some hifi friends. All I have are my brothers. Literally, no one else around here that I know care about hifi or audio in general. 

46 minutes ago, Charles T said:

Looking through the forum, I've noticed there's quite a few members here in FL, a lot in somewhat Central FL. We should all have get-togethers every once in a while. I think it would be fun. Get to listen to different systems, share tips and tricks, etc, etc. 

Yes we should more often. @Youthman:D

46 minutes ago, Charles T said:

Curious... Why do you say your life is much better because of the friendship? 

@Youthman(Michael) is a great friend and a righteous man.  Very generous with his time(if he has it to spare) and his ears.

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, willland said:

@Youthman(Michael) is a great friend and a righteous man.  Very generous with his time(if he has it to spare) and his ears.

Well, I can only speak about his ears, which, thanks to his video comparing the Forte III to his RF-7II (which he preferred), it cemented my decision for the Fortes.  Thank you!  I couldn't be happier with my choice.  I've listened enough to stuff throughout my years to know that the louder of the two in comparison usually sounds "better" at the time, and since the RFs are a little louder with the same input, and I guessed he didn't volume-match them correctly in his video, and I didn't care for the tonal balance of the RFs in that video, in comparison, I made the correct choice, and feel he didn't...