A Quick Rundown of the "New Guy's" System...

Charles T

Hey Charles... sorry this seemed to go off the rails. Your room looks great and you are the one who lives there. I like it... Heresy speakers are to me, like my JBL 4311, book shelf speakers. But that was back in the day...

I'm going to the other end of the house and listen to some tunes.

Cheers.

Bruce

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

ok , great ,  then I should toss my pair of Cornwalls , my 2 nd pair of Heresy ---and my 3 scalas ------because these speakers are quantity , and not quality ,  oooooops

What? That's not even remotely close to anything I said.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Hey Charles... sorry this seemed to go off the rails. Your room looks great and you are the one who lives there. I like it... Heresy speakers are to me, like my JBL 4311, book shelf speakers. But that was back in the day...

I'm going to the other end of the house and listen to some tunes.

Cheers.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, and thank you. 

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

good - most guys on this forum start with 1 pair , but not for very long -

I've been sort of looking for an old pair of Heresy's, kind of beat up but not completely destroyed, just so I can get them on the cheap and play around with them, doing mods and such to them... You know, just for the heck of it. 

8 hours ago, Charles T said:

I guess you could call me a fan. I like the technology involved and the big bang for the buck factor that Schiit offers. I had a full PS Audio Stellar stack that I bought new a little over a year ago with the Stellar Gain Cell DAC and dual M700 monoblock amps. The Schiit preamp and amps cost over $2200 less and sound more than twice as much better. With the recent addition of the DAC, I'm still saving over $1700, and that alone bumped up the performance to price ratio even more. This Schiit gear just stomps the "schiit" out of the PS Audio gear on every front at a fraction of the cost.

I haven't done any research on the Ragnarok I or II, but I imagine it's still a great piece of gear well worth more than what Schiit charges for it. I honestly don't think you can go wrong.

p3676661442-5.jpg

Here you are using a special power cable, but not so in your most recent setup. Any specific reason for that?

2 minutes ago, ILI said:

Here you are using a special power cable, but not so in your most recent setup. Any specific reason for that?

Oh, but I am. 

9awg Mojo Audio cable going to the Wireworld power strip. Then the same two Blue Circle Audio PLC pucks that were on the wall in that pic above are plugged into the strip. Both amps and the APC conditioner are plugged into the pucks. The two subs are plugged directly into the strip. The rest of the gear is plugged into the APC. 

On the Freya +, with the tubes off and in either passive or JFet mode and the volume all the way up, you can have your ears right in the tweeter horns, and there's zero noise of any kind. With the tubes on and the volume turned all the way up, there's just the very slightest hint of hiss coming through. Zero hum, zero buzz, zero nothing. 

p3720373509-5.jpg

p3720373528-5.jpg

p3720373532-5.jpg

p3720373582-5.jpg

p3720373600-5.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glens said:

I wonder what wire is feeding the wall outlet... bet it's no larger than 12 AWG hopefully solid copper but maybe not.  Do you know when it was installed if not original to the building?

The next step is to buy your own, private, power pole:

https://www.wsj.com/video/japanese-audiophiles-are-going-to-extremes/7CDB7E7F-C035-4595-9D5A-42D6D2B4B356.html

Guys, let's NOT start one of these stupid cable wars crap. Especially in my thread. Take it elsewhere.

And just to "amuse" you, none of the house was grounded except for the kitchen and bathroom. I asked my friend (the owner of the house) to replace the existing line to this one outlet with new wire and have it grounded. His son in-law is an electrician, I purchased 10/2 romex cable and a brand new Square D 15 amp breaker from work and that's what he used to run directly to that single outlet. 

Edited by Charles T
  • Like 1

Perhaps you'd care to know I've made a fair amount of money being an electrical technician, bumping hard on the engineering end of things, working with large industrial power conditioning systems.  I get by just fine with the power cords that came with my gear, but yours surely do look nice.