Best Klipsch Speaker

usnret70-90

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Uh well no we are not. Sometimes yes sometimes no but mostly no to above 80-85db anymore. I know I can bust my ear drums but why? I have DB nuts come over and I put hearing protection on and let it rip. On my own no.

Yeah, you're the second one to say "in the 80's" isn't loud. Maybe I'm the one confused, but 85db is pretty loud as far as I'm concerned. I consider myself a decibel junkie but anything above 85db is just pain. I guess I'm not as big a junkie as I thought.

• Like 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, MechEngVic said:

I consider myself a decibel junkie but anything above 85db is just pain. I guess I'm not as big a junkie as I thought.

39 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It's all relative. When your system is basically made to play 600 seat venues you can get way to loud way to easily.

Another thing,... "to me"....it seems 85 db is a completely different sound when it's played through a small or midsize speaker compared to a large speaker. I know it sounds crazy but it's true because with a large speaker it sounds so effortless and clean you don't realize how loud it really is. Somewhat like with a great recording, people tend to turn it up a little more because it sounds more open and clean. For for me at least.

We usually listen way less than 85 db, you can easily talk in the room 95% of the time, the other 5% vibrates the house, not exaggerating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It's all relative. When your system is basically made to play 600 seat venues you can get way to loud way to easily.

I just calibrated my mic and did an SPL measurement in REW, with a test tone the loudest I can stand is about 90db, with music it's about 80db. Granted, I sit 2-3 feet away from the speakers...

16 minutes ago, MechEngVic said:

I just calibrated my mic and did an SPL measurement in REW, with a test tone the loudest I can stand is about 90db, with music it's about 80db. Granted, I sit 2-3 feet away from the speakers...

My TSCMs have a Max SPL of 127.5 db per speaker and I have seven of them.  :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dtel said:

Another thing,... "to me"....it seems 85 db is a completely different sound when it's played through a small or midsize speaker compared to a large speaker. I know it sounds crazy but it's true because with a large speaker it sounds so effortless and clean you don't realize how loud it really is. Somewhat like with a great recording, people tend to turn it up a little more because it sounds more open and clean. For for me at least.

We usually listen way less than 85 db, you can easily talk in the room 95% of the time, the other 5% vibrates the house, not exaggerating.

I agree 100%, it's not just about sound levels, it's about how much air is being displaced.

5 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have said that the MCM1900 make LaScala and Khorn sound like bookshelf speakers. 

My MCM1900 Grans with KPT684 and a LaScala for a center. The LaScala is headed to the SWAG and I am using @Dave A LMAHL tweeters, and they do sound great. 

KPT684.thumb.jpg.6ca446c1c17dfcfe724ccef3bd0da6d3.jpg.c28e6a17436332025a48872c01f091cd.jpg

Gilda and Robin, cool!

Mark

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

The best part of using large speakers is how big it sounds, a little pair of speakers can play loud but not large.

Some small speakers can reproduce a large image when setup properly in my experience.

I think you would be surprised dtel 😄

3455D4B6-367F-4F49-ACF9-67869A3D6E14.thumb.jpeg.7f9e3c38fdc55fa644bd7a1732220549.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I know it sounds crazy but it's true because with a large speaker it sounds so effortless and clean you don't realize how loud it really is. Somewhat like with a great recording, people tend to turn it up a little more because it sounds more open and clean.

I would agree with you there.   If it is clean and loud, totally different from harsh, aggressive and fatiguing.  Larger speakers that are effortless encourage an occasional tilt to the right in the volume control.   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Some small speakers can reproduce a large image when setup properly in my experience.

3455D4B6-367F-4F49-ACF9-67869A3D6E14.thumb.jpeg.7f9e3c38fdc55fa644bd7a1732220549.jpeg

Are those ear buds in front of real speakers?

I had an old 2.1 set of computer speakers from Klipsch that sounded pretty darned good if you sat right in front of them and I mean close. But they did not sound big. Just a different world that gimmicks can't overcome.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I probably would be surprised a little, I know it's possible if done correctly. 

One thing that could give me the impression I have about this subject is I do not have a "spot" I sit to listen. I rarely listen like that, I want the whole space to sound great because i listen all day while working and doing whatever, when inside. The space is 24'x 34'  and a little speaker does not come close to what I like using different places to listen in that space.

Could be why I like the MWM/jube and the 402 horn so much, such a wide presentation which sounds really good anywhere in the room........sometimes ( but rarely) it does suck me into the best spot when something sounds better than average or a certain song I like plays.

I know that's not normal but until you said that I didn't think about how I use our space and how we listen,  I think that changes how I think about it more than I realized.  

1 minute ago, dtel said:

I probably would be surprised a little, I know it's possible if done correctly. 

One thing that could give me the impression I have about this subject is I do not have a "spot" I sit to listen. I rarely listen like that, I want the whole space to sound great because i listen all day while working and doing whatever, when inside. The space is 24'x 34'  and a little speaker does not come close to what I like using different places to listen in that space.

Could be why I like the MWM/jube and the 402 horn so much, such a wide presentation which sounds really good anywhere in the room........sometimes ( but rarely) it does suck me into the best spot when something sounds better than average or a certain song I like plays.

I know that's not normal but until you said that I didn't think about how I use our space and how we listen,  I think that changes how I think about it more than I realized.  

Same thing here. I can sit right in the best spot for the best sound but working in front of a worktable all the way to one side of the room still gives me great sound and perceivable stereo separation.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Same thing here. I can sit right in the best spot for the best sound but working in front of a worktable all the way to one side of the room still gives me great sound and perceivable stereo separation.  

That's true, our room is 24' wide with the speakers against the side walls, from anywhere you can still hear the separation.

Sometime I work at the kitchen table sometimes on the computer on the other side of the room, or just walking through. It's on from about 10-11 am until someone wants to watch tv at night 7-8 pm. OK apparently it's a glorified jukebox how we use it, but a good one.

4 hours ago, Randyh said:

actually , hearing loud sounds trains the ear to hear better ,  it's crap , distorted sound that you need to avoid

Ok, but the louder it is the more dangerous it is. Long exposure to loud sound pressure whether music or jet engines will damage your hearing.

It is possible for something to sound loud and not be loud in terms of SPL.  Certain kinds of distortion or room ringing, etc. can sound loud; the cheap little hand held transistor radios of the '60s, or the portable TVs of the '70s could sound very loud due to a high percentage of distortion.

If the distortion is low, and the room is good, and the speakers are Klipschorns, Jubs, Forte, Cornwall, JBL Project EVEREST, and the like:

80 dB    =   medium level

90 dB    =   fairly loud

100 dB  =   very loud

105 dB  =   THX/Dolby full scale for frequencies above 80 Hz in a > 5,000 cu ft room 

115 dB  =    "      ''     "      "      "        for frequencies below 80 Hz  "   "  "    "   "    "    "    "   "

The last two levels are appropriate, in the frequency ranges specified, for the end of a Beethoven or Mahler symphony.

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Long exposure to loud sound pressure whether music or jet engines will damage your hearing.

3 hours ago, garyrc said:

It is possible for something to sound loud and not be loud in terms of SPL.

These ^^ statements help with the differences. Imagine how loud it would be and how much effort the small plant would need to move a large object, while a C5 Galaxy would do the same work at idle. 

With a pair of Chorus II along with a pair of KP 362, I was jamming at high volumes, they were intensely loud and I was very impressed. After only a couple of tunes with those, I turned them down and turned up the MCM, with very little volume/wattage...maybe 1/2w +/-. They didn't need to be as loud to fill the room, there was no comparing them.  Imagine the difference between RB-10 and the Khorn. That's about the difference between the Khorn and the MCM. 

It's seldom that I turn them up past a watt. They don't need to be loud to sound good. 

7 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Gilda and Robin, cool!

👍 Yes they were. 

• Like 1