Best Klipsch Speaker

usnret70-90

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

Are those ear buds in front of real speakers?

I had an old 2.1 set of computer speakers from Klipsch that sounded pretty darned good if you sat right in front of them and I mean close. But they did not sound big. Just a different world that gimmicks can't overcome.

I listen to a lot of music from Klipsch Promedia 2.1s while working at the computer.  With the sub in the corner under the desk, in that near-field setting, the sound of Spotify is amazingly good.

The sub is dialed all the way down.  Any additional gain at all and it sounds boomy.  I’d prefer being able to lower the gain below the desired point, then dial up until it booms, and then dial back.  In any event, it sounds very good.

I agree that what sounds good close up cannot necessarily fill a large space at a distance.  As mentioned, the correlation between loud and distorted is sometimes counterintuitive.  The 6x9 in a ‘63 Chevy sounded too loud when twisting the volume sent the distortion through the roof.   By comparison, the high decibel output from my four Speakerlab SKhorns in my DJ biz did not sound too loud, due to relatively low distortion.  The decibel level of the clean sounding SKhorns was higher and more dangerous to hearing than the too loud decibel level of the distorted and rattling 6 x 9 car speaker.

With a good low distortion high efficiency horn system, loud music can sound louder outside the room than right in front of the speakers.  I can play my basement system, which consists of one pair at a time of Heresy derivative (DIY Supers or Superized HIPs) speakers supplemented by four TH subs, at 90+ db so that it sounds “too loud” upstairs, but not “too loud” right in front of the speakers.

The cue of thumping bass upstairs sends a psychological signal that the music must be “too loud” to hear that much bass in another room.  Moving to the same space allows the clean mid-range and treble to combine with the bass to produce the experience of loud and clear, rather than distorted and too loud.  At least that has been my experience, yours may differ.

6BC8D6DF-7213-40DA-91E2-E3671034CA87.thumb.jpeg.8fc4687a0a32ce625096328f00833e4f.jpeg

As to “best,” I feel that is dependent on the situation and too many subjective analyses to declare any single Klipsch speaker the “best.”   IMO, the Klipschorn is the MVP, with Heresy a close second.  Without the long-term success of the Klipschorn this forum would not exist.  Similarly, without the surprise sales success of Heresy speakers as stereo pairs, rather than only center channel as expected, Klipsch & Associates would have disappeared decades ago.  A good case could also be made for Belle Klipsch as company MVP; without her teaching salary during the early lean years, Klipsch & Associates could not have survived.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

As to “best,” I feel that is dependent on the situation and too many subjective analyses to declare any single Klipsch speaker the “best.”   IMO, the Klipschorn is the MVP, with Heresy a close second.  Without the long-term success of the Klipschorn this forum would not exist.  Similarly, without the surprise sales success of Heresy speakers as stereo pairs, rather than only center channel as expected, Klipsch & Associates would have disappeared decades ago.  A good case could also be made for Belle Klipsch as company MVP; without her teaching salary during the early lean years, Klipsch & Associates could not have survived.

There is a difference in best at saving the companies bacon and best at stellar sound. I would drive a fair distance to hear the biggest Cinema system Klipsch currently has in a stereo environment and would be interested in hearing other pro gear. I have to admit the CW4 and H4 was a revelation though still not a Jube or better. Not even close.

22 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I was naturally kidding about asking him for anything.  We had a nice visit though.

Carl it was a great time.  Just too much going on the last few years to get back.  If anyone donated it was you, the drinks were perfect.

22 minutes ago, dtel said:

Just remembered to check, 60-65 db max for normal listening volume depending on the song playing.

without my hearing aids, I don't hear a sound until 70 db.

With hearing aids, well there are other issues to deal with.  The sound seems artificial, and the stupid computer in the hearing aids suddenly starts filtering out other noises and that ends up with the volume dropping considerably. The doc has adjusted the settings the best she can, but I sure hate listening to a song and suddenly the volume decreases.

Sometimes the highs cause a squealing noise too. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

If it spares you from Genesis, then it's all for the good.

Genesis is not in my music library. If you played my library song after song, it would take over nine days ... and not one song from genesis in there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Genesis is not in my music library. If you played my library song after song, it would take over nine days ... and not one song from genesis in there. 

Even their earl;y stuff?  No The Lamb Lies down on Broadway?? 

OK, how about solo stuff, Peter Gabriel's 3rd album, 'melt' do you have that?  One of the few perfect albums. His Peter Gabriel Plays Live is also great. 

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

OK, how about solo stuff, Peter Gabriel's 3rd album, 'melt' do you have that?  One of the few perfect albums. His Peter Gabriel Plays Live is also great. 

just checked ... nothing from either.   I've got Peter Tork, Peter Frampton, Peter & Gordon, and even Peter, Paul & Mary; but no Peter Gabriel. 

9 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

A friend of mine in junior high thought he would treat me to Lamb...So he spun it and I listened, and you know what?  Nevermore.

18 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

35.9 days for me. It must be cuz I do have a little Genesis! Do you really have some Peter Tork? Or is it his Monkee stuff? I actually loved that show. But I was young and dumb.

1 minute ago, KlipschFish said:

35.9 days for me. It must be cuz I do have a little Genesis! Do you really have some Peter Tork? Or is it his Monkee stuff? I actually loved that show. But I was young and dumb.

I have his solo stuff and Monkees stuff.  Some of the famed Wrecking Crew were studio musicians on some Monkees recordings. Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye included.

Peter Tork was a folk musician before the Monkees. Mike Nesmith wrote the song Different Drum before his days with the Monkees. 

• Thanks 2