La Scala Cabinets Baltic Birch - new - eBay - $850.

hanksjim1

I had often thought about making Belle cabinets, or bass bins, to sell.  Not like there's a patent on them.  I could probably flat pack them, too.  Hmmm....

The top section looks taller than normal.  That or it's just the picture perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is a nice cabinet. Could somebody please post details about other parts needed and where to get them so that this could be come a "Build La scala for dummies" thread. This will not affect the sale of Klipsch in general because not may people have the time nor effort to build their own speaker. Plus D.IY. speaker usually has no resale value. However, whoever wants to build a pair of speaker for themself will do it regardless.  

After having built a set of Belle clones, I can't say it was "cheaper" to do, but, I didn't start out with old drivers and update them, either. One can do the math on either using used Klipsch drivers sourced from wherever or just buy new Crites drivers or some other iteration. I got a great deal on three 4x8 sheets of Baltic Birch and three 4x8 sheets of ribbon mahogany veneer...maybe $240 for all plus time and gas.  Figure new Diablo saw blades, screws, glue, nails, sandpaper, other hardware, etc., which add up. 

10 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

The seller states "These are custom made to order"...looks like the top hat was made larger for the non-stock mid horn.

Would be interesting to see what he would charge for a couple of bass bins.

It would boil down to a few things.  1)  What type of wood would a person want them done out of; MDF, Baltic Birch, plywood, etc.  2)  What type of finish would a person want them done it; raw wood, painted, stained, veneered, etc.  3)  What shipping costs would be to get them wherever   4)  The demand for people wanting those cabinets

Might be tough to do a flat pack for LS bass bins with the sharp angled point on the end of the dog house.  Then whoever puts them together needs to have clamps, glue, etc and the ability to put them together.  

I might need to build a set just to see what the time frame would be.  Belle cabinets aren't too terribly bad.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned a foldable cabinet. Was thinking maybe could work if the center of the doghouse could be preassembled. Wouldn't it be great if you could open a package and basically just unfold a bin unit pieces temporary semi attached ready for glue, screws, and finish. Design for packing as well as unit a challenge, to arrive, in as near a flat pack as possible.

Viability, practicality, just dreaming.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 7:15 PM, hanksjim1 said:

The seller states "These are custom made to order"...looks like the top hat was made larger for the non-stock mid horn.

Would be interesting to see what he would charge for a couple of bass bins.

The ebay sellers response to a request for his asking price on a pair of bass bins only:

hydrocloneusa:

"Yeah I can knock off 125.00 off the 850.00 plus shipping.
Shipping is high maybe 200.00." (to Los Angeles)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, avguytx said:

So is there a market for this sort of thing?  Like just plain ol' MDF or plywood bass bins?  I could make these out of MDF or plywood to go a lot quicker than having to veneer them.  And cheaper too (veneer wise).

Oh now you tell me...

52 minutes ago, avguytx said:

So is there a market for this sort of thing?  Like just plain ol' MDF or plywood bass bins?  I could make these out of MDF or plywood to go a lot quicker than having to veneer them.  And cheaper too (veneer wise).

Wonder if shipping, material s, and your time could be practical for you and purchaser. Logistics...

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Wonder if shipping, material s, and your time could be practical for you and purchaser. Logistics...

I guess I could offer to drive a "reasonable" distance to help out.  lol.  Making these to be done as a flat pack would be a little tough with how the angles would have to be put together and not knowing if the buyer would have all the clamps, straps, etc., to put them together.  Shipping built cabinets would definitely be a little pricey.

• Like 1

This guy from close to New Orleans has been making them for some time. I suspect the workmanship will leave something lacking and the dimensions may be OK. Looks like real Baltic Birch though. I would be curious to talk to a past customer but somehow these people can't be found.