Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

I was in  Vegas in December   , we had left Upstate NY , to travel through Montreal  ,  the wheather was - 20 degrees Celcius before we left ,  when we go to Vegas  , it was -65 -70 degrees F, I was walking with a t-shirt and sandals while everybody wore winter coats --   now on another comparison , we go as far as 600 miles up north in Canada for work , and the cold in the winter is -50 celcius -  now 70 -75 farenheit is  DAMN HOT -

I cannot handle the cold anymore.  I grew up in a cold climate but now, 60 degrees is chilly and 50 is pretty cold, adjusting both if there is wind.  But I can handle the heat. 

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Zappa was also from California...a true voice for real freedom if there ever was one.

I still play "I'm The Slime" from him on occasion and you are so right. It is the perfect summation of PC mindset indoctrination efforts by the public education system and DNC syncophants  like CNN ABC MSBSNBC. Truly way ahead of his time with this song. I was thinking about this thread yesterday and contemplating the concept of the frog in a pan of water with the heat slowly rising does not leave and is cooked. Drop that same frog in a pan of hot water and he does his best to leap out.

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little had changed
I am the tool of the Government
And Industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you
I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I am the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime oozing out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help, no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

"That's right, folks.. Don't touch that dial!"

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin' along on your livingroom floor
I am the slime from your video
Can't stop the slime, people, look at me go

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 11:01 AM, jimjimbo said:

Great advice from Pete above.  Make a list on a legal pad, Pros one side, Cons the other.

I was making a bunch of money living in San Diego.  Traffic and competition for virtually everything drove me out...even for minor things such as a parking space at the grocery store, restaurant reservations, etc, etc, etc....absolutely ridiculous.

Traffic and terrible commute equals stress.  No way I would ever move back to California.

Last time I was in L.A.....(October, 18')

IMG_20200308_104106.jpg

14 hours ago, Randyh said:

no such thing over here ,  and we are not about to let it happen to us either -----and even in big cities ,  such things should not be tolerated

I live a few miles out of a tiny old timber town nestled up in the woods miles from the nearest two lane state highway,of course there are a few bad apples in any town but for the most part it's loggers and ranchers and other salt of the earth folks out here.

Only about 1500 people in the town limits and the rest of us on acreage with the national forest just east of town a bit.

No bum camps,you won't find needles and other waste from druggie bum camps out here,it will not be tolerated.

We are a little red zone in a blue state,our little town voted it'self a second amendment sanctuary city if that tells you anything.

Damn near everyone is armed,we all know the local sheriff deputy and anyone not from here sticks out like a sore thumb and will have eyes on them,

That's not to say it's an unfriendly town just that we look out for one another and it's not a good place to mess around if you're riffraff.

My kids grew up having campfires in the woods not hanging out on the streets and now in their 30's going jeeping in the snow and having get-togethers  with their friends in the woods is still their thing.

zxz.jpg

• Like 2

There is one thing I miss about living in California. There’s a wonderful assortment of playhouses that offer some pretty nice productions. There’s a lot of talent in the area. Sometimes even major actors work these smaller venues. I saw Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy perform in the play version of On Golden Pond’. There’s a lot of good theater in L.A. you simply cannot get in most cities. Is that enough to get me back there? Nope.

1 hour ago, y2keglide said:

I live a few miles out of a tiny old timber town nestled up in the woods miles from the nearest two lane state highway,of course there are a few bad apples in any town but for the most part it's loggers and ranchers and other salt of the earth folks out here.

Only about 1500 people in the town limits and the rest of us on acreage with the national forest just east of town a bit.

No bum camps,you won't find needles and other waste from druggie bum camps out here,it will not be tolerated.

We are a little red zone in a blue state,our little town voted it'self a second amendment sanctuary city if that tells you anything.

Damn near everyone is armed,we all know the local sheriff deputy and anyone not from here sticks out like a sore thumb and will have eyes on them,

That's not to say it's an unfriendly town just that we look out for one another and it's not a good place to mess around if you're riffraff.

My kids grew up having campfires in the woods not hanging out on the streets and now in their 30's going jeeping in the snow and having get-togethers  with their friends in the woods is still their thing.

zxz.jpg

I know what you mean. I did not lock my shop up until about seven years ago when just to many new people moved into the area and we started having a few breakins in the area. My immediate neighbors regarded me as the newcomer for some time but after 30 years here this is no longer so. Hunt from my front deck or shoot Tannerite and no one says a thing. Dead end road and if you are back here and we don't recognize the car we watch.

• Like 2

There's definitely a lot to complain about in California... And then there are quite a few locations that are uniquely beautiful.

I took a day trip this past Tuesday to a very remote dry lakebed in the Mojave. An incredible place! 

qKCXVHX.jpg

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I know what you mean. I did not lock my shop up until about seven years ago when just to many new people moved into the area and we started having a few breakins in the area. My immediate neighbors regarded me as the newcomer for some time but after 30 years here this is no longer so. Hunt from my front deck or shoot Tannerite and no one says a thing. Dead end road and if you are back here and we don't recognize the car we watch.

Same here,I came out here in 1985 and was considered a newcomer for about the first 30 years.

Back then the town was just 400 people,it's tripled in size and then some but still tiny and still off the beaten path only accessible by county roads. 

Bought my acreage back in '87 on a dead end road and still live on it,sold our mobile home and built a new two story in 2012 and expect to stay 'till they carry me out in a box.

I have a great view and good neighbors,love it out here.

I'm a trucker so I've been to LA and other cities plenty of times,local driver in Portland,Oregon now and can't wait to get out of the city at the end of the day.

005.JPGa.jpgb.jpg

• Like 4