Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

On 3/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, Ceptorman said:

my home in Indiana is worth about 1.2 million in LA.

That's why living in a cardboard box , under a bridge , park bench ect...

Is so appealing.... Rent free no taxes..

Pick your poison wisely .. Money makes things easier... But not always better...

And how close you need.. Or want to be near family...

Only you know what's best for you...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Randyh said:

do you remember  the Eiferman Gym

No, I used to work out at Golds, then LVAC and I now have a fully gym at the house and use it. 

Tito Ortiz was at golds working out one day when I was there back in about 2004.  The guy was huge.  Could not imagine being in a ring with a trained fighter, especially that big.  Same for Mike Tyson.  Saw him at fights at the LV Hilton and he was also a tank.

3 hours ago, DMH said:

There's definitely a lot to complain about in California... And then there are quite a few locations that are uniquely beautiful.

I took a day trip this past Tuesday to a very remote dry lakebed in the Mojave. An incredible place! 

qKCXVHX.jpg

Ah, we have these everywhere.  I used to ride my dirtbike on one, called it the surface of the moon.

if you think that was cool, go to Death Valley when it is not that hot (like right now).  A site to see if you are not used to seeing desert.  Not that big of a deal if you live here. 

4 hours ago, Dave A said:

My immediate neighbors regarded me as the newcomer for some time but after 30 years here this is no longer so.

Sounds great, but it will take me until I am in my 80s to be accepted.  People are actually friendly and welcoming in a metropolitan area (at least here in Las Vegas) if you are friendly, just ignore the ones that are not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

What a beautiful site , is this the Volcano  -------------Holy Lord ,  by the way , you are one helluva  good Photographer ----your view is simply fantastic

Yes the infamous killer volcano Mt.St. Helens.

It's about 15 miles to the crater from here as the crow flies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Ah, we have these everywhere.  I used to ride my dirtbike on one, called it the surface of the moon.

if you think that was cool, go to Death Valley when it is not that hot (like right now).  A site to see if you are not used to seeing desert.  Not that big of a deal if you live here. 

c043.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Death Valley is beautiful that's for sure! Unfortunately in 1994 it was redesignated as Death Valley National Park from its National Monument status. With the change came numerous suppressive regulations, prohibitions, permits, restrictions and rules that didn't exist prior to its change in status. https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/management/rules-and-regulations.htm As you can see from the link, the list of rules, regulations or laws is quite extensive. If you wish to enjoy your right to use public lands and not have to deal with an inane number of restrictions / regulations the only other option is to use BLM land. 

On 3/7/2020 at 5:54 AM, Ceptorman said:

... My home in Indiana is worth about 1.2 million in LA.

California is not monolithic.   I know the OP is not looking in San Francisco, but here are some of my (biased) perceptions comparing the two cities.

The median house price in San Francisco was 1.3 million last time I checked.  LA may be a little less expensive, but S.F. is more intellectually diverse, IMO.  I wouldn't have thought so, but every time we, or people we know, go to LA, sooner or later, we seem to run into unsophisticated or narrow-minded people who are status seeking types.  I realize this is probably just poor sampling, but it seems to happen every trip.  It's spooky.  The San Francisco Bay Area, especially  S.F., Oakland and Berkeley, where I lived and worked for about 50 years, do not seem to be that way.  Neither does the "little" (population 55,000) college town we live in now. 

Other differences:

LA ..... warm or hot wind.......... SF.... cool, refreshing wind.

LA ..... high housing prices........SF.... even higher

LA......still has some smog .......SF.... mostly clean air, if you avoid the freeways

LA......Film and Music industry, Glitterati....SF smaller, independent filmmaking & music making.

LA.....mostly moderate crime, but burglar alarm advised ... SF.... mostly moderate crime, but alarm, and never leave anything in a car.  Both have extremely high crime in a few areas.  In both homelessness is increasing, for obvious reasons. 

Politically, both are heavily Democratic.  All statewide elected officials are Democrats, as are both United States senators and the governor. No Republican has been elected to statewide office since 2006. Of the state’s 53 congressional districts, 7 are represented by Republicans.  In most areas of the state people registered as independent tend to support Democrats more often than Republicans.

Both are sanctuary cities.

• Like 1

My wife is from Palo Alto.  (of course you knew you would stick your foot in it) She grew up there so you probably came along after the good years though.  She is a wonderful person with an awesome attitude.  The prices back then weren't bad either.  Believe it or not, it used to be a working class town.

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

My wife is from Palo Alto.  (of course you knew you would stick your foot in it) She grew up there so you probably came along after the good years though.  She is a wonderful person with an awesome attitude.  The prices back then weren't bad either.  Believe it or not, it used to be a working class town.

All have their experiences. Wife worked at the Stanford campus branch of Bank Of America. We lived in an efficiency apt for $600 a month in 1979 with a base pay of ~ $700 a month + BAQ/BAS. Moved to San Jose for a cheaper apt. First night I flying a mission there was a murder in the adjoining apt.

And on and on 

Years later I returned to Milpitas as a single guy, lived in a house on a cul de sac. We hosted a party for some folks graduating from a demanding course.  I personally knocked on the 6 doors in the neighborhood to invite the neighbors and to ask forgiveness for the noise. Everyone shut the door in my face. Screw a whole bunch of California!

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

that beast of a volcano must shake up the earth for sure ,  she's a mountain with a pressure valve

She's been pretty quiet for a long time now,I caught this steam eruption about 20 years ago one day when I stayed home from work with the bug.

Didn't hear anything,just looked out the window and it was going on.

I didn't have a very good camera back then unfortunately.

sunrise001-1.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, USNRET said:

All have their experiences. Wife worked at the Stanford campus branch of Bank Of America. We lived in an efficiency apt for $600 a month in 1979 with a base pay of ~ $700 a month + BAQ/BAS. Moved to San Jose for a cheaper apt. First night I flying a mission there was a murder in the adjoining apt.

And on and on 

Years later I returned to Milpitas as a single guy, lived in a house on a cul de sac. We hosted a party for some folks graduating from a demanding course.  I personally knocked on the 6 doors in the neighborhood to invite the neighbors and to ask forgiveness for the noise. Everyone shut the door in my face. Screw a whole bunch of California!

Long gone by then.  East Palo Alto?