Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

7 hours ago, DMH said:

And then there are quite a few locations that are uniquely beautiful.

There is real natural beauty out there. Cross country skiing in Sequoia and the Redwoods and the desert around Ridgecrest going up into the mountains. I have fond memories of that.

7 hours ago, y2keglide said:

and expect to stay 'till they carry me out in a box.

Funny you said that as today I was at my daughters house in Nashville discussing things and that topic came up. I do not ever want to leave here and wont while I am living is my hope. Spring is starting here and every day is new and different visually. Oh and the new stuff is not the latest graffiti!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

There is real natural beauty out there. Cross country skiing in Sequoia and the Redwoods and the desert around Ridgecrest going up into the mountains. I have fond memories of that.

Funny you said that as today I was at my daughters house in Nashville discussing things and that topic came up. I do not ever want to leave here and wont while I am living is my hope. Spring is starting here and every day is new and different visually. Oh and the new stuff is not the latest graffiti!!

never been to Tennessee, but my pops was born there. 

my lungs determine where I live ... my Asthma can't tolerate heat & humidity and my lungs get very angry at me when I put them in those conditions. 

I lived most of my life in the greater Los Angeles area and while some of those negatives mentioned are true, they aren't things that are encountered daily (well, traffic maybe). 

Housing cost is the biggest issue -- all that other stuff is pretty much avoidable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

my lungs determine where I live ... my Asthma can't tolerate heat & humidity and my lungs get very angry at me when I put them in those conditions. 

I lived most of my life in the greater Los Angeles area and while some of those negatives mentioned are true, they aren't things that are encountered daily (well, traffic maybe). 

Housing cost is the biggest issue -- all that other stuff is pretty much avoidable. 

Knew a guy who moved from here because of lung problems. They ended up in New Mexico at higher elevations and last I hear they like the mild climate and lack of humidity. Rural of course.

• Like 1

I have asthma, and allergies, and they actually got better in Mexico @ 6000' plus. The Mayo Clinic has been doing some studies on High Altitude and asthma, and the quick read I did was a positive result. I do know it took me about 2 years to get to where my Asthma got better though.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

600$ a month in 79 is like 2x  what we used to pay  for an average  flat  in Long Island  -----in 79

If we are going to do this, how about $80 per month for an apartment in the S.F. bay area in 1969?  I was making $346/month.  What happened?

2 minutes ago, garyrc said:

If we are going to do this, how about $80 per month for an apartment in the S.F. bay area in 1969?  I was making $346/month.  What happened?

My first year with Chrysler (1972) I was making $9 something an hour. People in Detroit were buying new cars, had nice houses and were taking vacations and saving for their kids college on that hourly wage and the wife did not have to work.

• Like 1

I’m a city over today, and I’m bitching about the traffic. I can’t imagine what some in LA are going thru right this minute. I’m sure I miss some things but I am so happy to be a small town boy. Or small town old dude fits better.

20 hours ago, garyrc said:

The stuff passed by Congress in 1913 is what happened. Just takes time to make it all work real well for the guys on top.