Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

On 3/8/2020 at 2:13 PM, dirtmudd said:

That's why living in a cardboard box , under a bridge , park bench ect...

Is so appealing.... Rent free no taxes..

Pick your poison wisely .. Money makes things easier... But not always better...

And how close you need.. Or want to be near family...

Only you know what's best for you...

dR6t5vi.jpg

• Haha 1

Take this for what it is worth. We are looking to get the HE## out of C.A. I get an instant 20% bump in buying power simply by moving out of state. There is a near dollar tax on every gallon of gas to "fix the roads" when they were already getting thirty cents a gallon which was supposed to do just that. They diverted the first tax to the "train to nowhere from nowhere" BILLIONS of dollars spent on a HIGH SPEED, no er, limited stop,  no er, milk run train that starts in the desert and ends noplace close to anywhere. No one is going to ride it but because the state took fed money for it, they have to at least make some part of it work or give back the money to the feds. Oh, the new pile of money to fix the roads.... ya they "diverted" that too, how is this for gov logic. They are going to build public housing with the money under the excuse that more housing will reduce the traffic thus it is being spent on roads. UH well until you consider that no one who is on the road will use the housing, the traffic will still be the same and the roads will still go down hill.  I could keep going on but there isn't enough space on the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Cal Blacksmith said:

Take this for what it is worth. We are looking to get the HE## out of C.A. I get an instant 20% bump in buying power simply by moving out of state. There is a near dollar tax on every gallon of gas to "fix the roads" when they were already getting thirty cents a gallon which was supposed to do just that. They diverted the first tax to the "train to nowhere from nowhere" BILLIONS of dollars spent on a HIGH SPEED, no er, limited stop,  no er, milk run train that starts in the desert and ends noplace close to anywhere. No one is going to ride it but because the state took fed money for it, they have to at least make some part of it work or give back the money to the feds. Oh, the new pile of money to fix the roads.... ya they "diverted" that too, how is this for gov logic. They are going to build public housing with the money under the excuse that more housing will reduce the traffic thus it is being spent on roads. UH well until you consider that no one who is on the road will use the housing, the traffic will still be the same and the roads will still go down hill.  I could keep going on but there isn't enough space on the internet.

shortly before I left CA, the homeless camps on the Santa Ana river trail was getting way out of hand. 

I don't want to get into politics, but the leadership of California has been severely lacking for a number of years. 

I miss the weather (I lived at the beach) and of course I knew a lot of people and don't know anybody where I live now. 

I wanted to experience something different and I have. I was shocked to get my taxes done and found out that Oregon taxes income at a HIGHER rate than California. So, their "no sales tax" is made up for in other ways. Reminds me of a book that a college professor encouraged us to read. It was called "In the long run, we're all dead."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 2:44 AM, USNRET said:

All have their experiences. Wife worked at the Stanford campus branch of Bank Of America. We lived in an efficiency apt for $600 a month in 1979 with a base pay of ~ $700 a month + BAQ/BAS. Moved to San Jose for a cheaper apt. First night I flying a mission there was a murder in the adjoining apt.

And on and on 

Years later I returned to Milpitas as a single guy, lived in a house on a cul de sac. We hosted a party for some folks graduating from a demanding course.  I personally knocked on the 6 doors in the neighborhood to invite the neighbors and to ask forgiveness for the noise. Everyone shut the door in my face. Screw a whole bunch of California!

Everyone has their own experience, I agree.

It seems like it makes sense to stay away from this place.

Although this could happen in another place. Similar things, social problems, they are always and everywhere. When we look into our past, present, or future,  things aren't very different. People have changed, ideas have changed, but there are factors that are and will always be, such as poverty and wealth, homelessness, crimes. Of course, this is not the same in every corner of the world and certainly there're disadvantaged areas and places. Much also depends on the government, the president, and other factors. This topic is interestingly disclosed in this source https://studydriver.com/george-washington-essay/ Nowadays and in this unstable situation, I like to read such things and learn more about the country and politics

Edited by JonathanBrown

There is a reason why places like SFO, NYC etc etc are all full of immigrants like me (till I escaped ~18yrs ago). The options as a visa holder are very limited and every one of those was in NYC, NJ or Bay area CA. That's where they can pay you the "visa approved rate" and still leave you broke. Plenty of places have similar weather and a lot fewer problems, TX, FL. GA, SC (where I am now) etc etc. 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:50 PM, BigStewMan said:

shortly before I left CA, the homeless camps on the Santa Ana river trail was getting way out of hand. 

I don't want to get into politics, but the leadership of California has been severely lacking for a number of years. 

I miss the weather (I lived at the beach) and of course I knew a lot of people and don't know anybody where I live now. 

I wanted to experience something different and I have. I was shocked to get my taxes done and found out that Oregon taxes income at a HIGHER rate than California. So, their "no sales tax" is made up for in other ways. Reminds me of a book that a college professor encouraged us to read. It was called "In the long run, we're all dead."

I think the problem is you moved from CA to wannabe CA.

• Haha 2

On 3/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, Ceptorman said:

I was recently approached by an owner of a high end contracting business in Los Angeles to become their director of operations. They build interiors of restaurants, office buildings, and have hi-end residential clients, all masonry and decorative concrete. I know it's a huge change from a medium sized midwest city. Housing cost are astronomical. It's mainly in the Hollywood, Burbank, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Glendale, and north LA areas. 

I know there's a huge group of people leaving Cali, most going to Texas, Las Vegas, and Florida. I spent 4 days there last week with their crews and liked the place MUCH more than I thought I would have. I know everyone has an opinion. let's hear them.....

Good luck, and yes, I think you're crazy.... but what the hell,  moved to and lived in Oklahoma when I was chasing the money.  Good to be back in Texas.

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I know that you were asking Gilbert but I wasn't born here and love it as well.

glad that you’re happy. when i was in the service, the assignment officer in DC came to visit. He told us that 85% of new recruits had for their first choice of duty stations the closest station to their hometown-- most people want to “go back home.”  part of me gets that and part of me doesn’t. 

I feel that the place you grew up is your parent’s home not yours. we go out into the world and blaze our own trails. I can understand the case of someone that will work in the family business, and i get those that moved away and saw life elsewhere and, after experiencing different areas, decided that they liked their hometown best. I think where we grew up is often close to our hearts -- thus my fondness for Oakland/SF Bay Area and Los Angeles. What perplexes me is those that have never moved away -- to each his own of course, but i find it weird to have lived in the same town one’s entire life. 

Lived in my last town two years.  Been in this one a little over a year and would have moved elsewhere already had it not been for my brother’s illness. Sometimes i move completely out of an area and sometimes just a town over -- for instance, i’ve lived in six different cities in Los Angeles County. 

I think being orphaned at a young age and living with different relatives probably had an impact on my view of just calling places “where i lived” instead of home. I get the emotional attachment though because when i return to the Bay Area i feel a bit of something because that is where it all began. 

I ended up where I am because I really like the real estate and low taxes and smaller govt burden. Over the years and after having been around a lot of the country I have grown to know how relatively rare settings like mine are. Been here since 1987 and on the same piece of land since 1989 so this is home. Drinking coffee made from gravity flow spring water and looking out the front door where they deer and turkeys play. I get up at night and sometimes you pull the curtain back and the deer are 10 feet away grazing. My traffic jam to get to work on many days is the "wild" turkeys out there giving me the evil eye because I have not fed them yet. Going to the city, especially one like LA just gives me the creeps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

because you grew up there or just moved there and like it?

Yea, that's part of the reason, but I've lived in other states.... FL, OK and for a very short while CO.  I look forward to getting my last little one off to college, then the wife and I are packing up and moving some place to grow older and enjoy.

24 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

most people want to “go back home.”

That would be Laredo, Texas...... but you couldn't pay me enough for that. I'll never live in that politically corrupt shyt hole city again. No more border towns living for me.

• Like 1

Very definitely. Plastic shopping bags are outlawed, plastic crapp bags are welcome. Find a few of those, assemble a trebuchet and put on a hazmat suit and launch em into your favorite politician's compound and see how they like it.

13 minutes ago, Srinath said:

Very definitely. Plastic shopping bags are outlawed, plastic crapp bags are welcome. Find a few of those, assemble a trebuchet and put on a hazmat suit and launch em into your favorite politician's compound and see how they like it.

Sounds like Paradise.