Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

31 minutes ago, babadono said:

I was expecting hoping for the 'forum buddy' rate:)

I am serious about the outdoor fireplace. It does not have to be as grand as the one pictured. My backyard is only 30' x 40'

Yea I can probably build another fireplace before I become a full time salesman. That one in pic (just built) is one of the nicest ones I've built. He's building a room in front of it, that's why it's so tall (tall=costly)

Here's one much smaller, but still looks good, about half the price.

photo 14.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, babadono said:

They can increase the tax up to 3% a year

other states are worse  than 3% , NY is preparing for increases due to COVID 19 ---cross the border into Canada -double digits

39 minutes ago, babadono said:

I was expecting hoping for the 'forum buddy' rate:)

I am serious about the outdoor fireplace. It does not have to be as grand as the one pictured. My backyard is only 30' x 40'

Yes...you will get the forum price.

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yea I can probably build another fireplace before I become a full time salesman. That one in pic (just built) is one of the nicest ones I've built. He's building a room in front of it, that's why it's so tall (tall=costly)

Here's one much smaller, but still looks good, about half the price.

photo 14.jpg

It looks like you could put it on wheels.

JJK

• Like 1

there are pros and cons to the move.

You hear horror stories of how expensive it is in many places. There are usually work arounds and time getting to know where to get what.

Are you crazy for it???? I dunno? There are several million folks that seem to like it there. They might be crazy...

as I said before, I'm not a city person.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billybob said:

Usually carry a 100 foot extension cord, heave duty. Just pluginto a friendly looking house. Saves a ton on my electric bill.

That’s the double-male-ended extension cord, right?  Only useful for stealing power.

Recently, I was watching a Scottish sitcom about two old buddies.  One of their friends found a way to bypass power meters, and the word got around.  Soon everyone was wearing shorts in their homes in mid-winter.  Then the building’s power went out.  Then the district’s power went out.  I’m not being Debby Downer, just relating a joke.

• Haha 1

Hmm, California. Nothing crazy about California. In the same way, nothing crazy about the very real and pleasant physical experience of being in a moderate climate, felt almost everyday.  The body doesn't tighten up from the cold of winter, nor melt from the hot humid days of eastern summers, which totally suck and are not felt here.     No more wrapping oneself up with layers of wool, down filled polyesters, scarves,  gortex gloves or mittens, all to guard ones body heat from the icy touch of winter, trying to take it.    You can give all those clothes away , they won't be needed.   No snow covered driveways, icy streets or the long dark winters that don't seem to end.  That will all become just a fading memory. 

Of course, wherever you decide to settle, one should choose wisely where you put yourself within that environment. The closer to the ocean, the more moderate the climate will be and will usually feel less population dense too.             

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

Nothing crazy about California

41 minutes ago, dtel said:

normal is a big stretch.

MMPIs tend to be a bit elevated on both coasts, but that makes for rich variety and diversity, all channel net, creativity, and mental cross fertilization.