Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, garyrc said:

creativity, and mental cross fertilization.

The sad part is what people like you fought for back then at colleges with free speech and openness of ideas is not the same now.

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

it's just a place, just like any other ... but with a lot better weather. 

some very nice looking ladies too; but, Bill tell your wife that they're all ugly. 

Haha....she already heard me bragging about the "perfect" looking people there, she's fine with it.

11 hours ago, Shiva said:

Hmm, California. Nothing crazy about California. In the same way, nothing crazy about the very real and pleasant physical experience of being in a moderate climate, felt almost everyday.  The body doesn't tighten up from the cold of winter, nor melt from the hot humid days of eastern summers, which totally suck and are not felt here.     No more wrapping oneself up with layers of wool, down filled polyesters, scarves,  gortex gloves or mittens, all to guard ones body heat from the icy touch of winter, trying to take it.    You can give all those clothes away , they won't be needed.   No snow covered driveways, icy streets or the long dark winters that don't seem to end.  That will all become just a fading memory. 

Of course, wherever you decide to settle, one should choose wisely where you put yourself within that environment. The closer to the ocean, the more moderate the climate will be and will usually feel less population dense too.             

Amen.....I've always loved the season changes here, but with age comes the need for warmth. The day I left (January) I saw an 81 degree increase in temps when I arrived in LA, felt wonderful. I can travel from LA to get my snowmobile fix😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

How is rainwater handled in the pit side ?

The structure itself is on a concrete footer 3' in the ground, but the center of the pit is open and that 3' depth is filled with gravel. I did suggest covering the whole thing in the winter to keep the water out.

36 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The structure itself is on a concrete footer 3' in the ground, but the center of the pit is open and that 3' depth is filled with gravel. I did suggest covering the whole thing in the winter to keep the water out.

If I did that here I'd get ground water in it, LOL.

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

I don't know nothing......perhaps weep holes to a french drain on outside of pit which then drains to daylight. How are you going to keep it from getting clogged with soot and ash?

Inquiring minds want to know.

23 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If I did that here I'd get ground water in it, LOL.

22 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Inquiring minds want to know.

We have a lot of clay in our soil, but water does flow through it. That fire-pit has over 4' of gravel inside, it will filter the water by the time it gets to the bottom, so I think a drain would work, but I didn't think it was necessary. I did advise them to cover it in the winter, ice can create a lot of havoc.

21 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

We have a lot of clay in our soil, but water does flow through it. That fire-pit has over 4' of gravel inside, it will filter the water by the time it gets to the bottom, so I think a drain would work, but I didn't think it was necessary. I did advise them to cover it in the winter, ice can create a lot of havoc.

I like the concept but would need to be creative around here.  We'll get more than 4" of rain in a day and the terrain is flat.  Water table is high.  Probably have to use a gravel pit that would drain to a pipe which would have to go to the street which is lower than the yards.

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I like the concept but would need to be creative around here.  We'll get more than 4" of rain in a day and the terrain is flat.  Water table is high.  Probably have to use a gravel pit that would drain to a pipe which would have to go to the street which is lower than the yards.

Yea, that and a very healthy footer and I'm sure we can make it stable even in the wet sections the country. Is your soil sandy? Is erosion a problem when the water flows? Maybe a footer with piers on the corners reaching into the ground.

23 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Is your soil sandy?

Mostly clay which around here is called "gumbo".  When you hand dig you have to keep a bucket of water handy to lube the shovel and a 4x4 to slam the shovel on to get the gumbo to release.  No real issue with erosion on the relatively flat ground.  Water naturally seeks its own level but nothing really steep around here to give it much pace.  We have more of an issue with rising water as opposed to rushing water.