Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

We have the lowest rates in the area.  I am curious if the CA residents will chime in with what they pay per kwh?  Or anyone for that matter.

Residential electricity rates in Picayune

Residential8.3737.3411.09¢

• Residential Electricity in Picayune
    • The average residential electricity rate in Picayune is 11.09¢/kWh.[1]
    • This average (residential) electricity rate in Picayune is 8.09% greater than the Mississippi average rate of 10.26¢/kWh.[2]
    • The average (residential) electricity rate in Picayune is 6.65% less than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh. Residential rates in the U.S. range from 8.37¢/kWh to 37.34¢/kWh.[2]

Residential electricity in Mississippi

• Residential electricity rates in Mississippi [3]
    • The average residential electricity rate in Mississippi is 10.26¢/kWh, which ranks 35th in the nation and is 13.64% less than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.
  • Residential electricity consumption in MS [3]
    • Residential electricity consumption in Mississippi averages 1,193 kWh/month, which ranks 3rd in the nation and is 32.12% greater than the national average of 903 kWh/month.
  • Residential electricity bills in MS [3]
    • The average monthly residential electricity bill in Mississippi is $122, which ranks 12th in the nation and is 14.02% greater than the national average of $107 per month.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

We have the lowest rates in the area.  I am curious if the CA residents will chime in with what they pay per kwh?  Or anyone for that matter.

Oregon Rates:

SUMMER   PEAK CHARGE OFF-PEAK CREDIT
Residential (per kwh) Rate Schedule 4 $0.06124 -$0.01125
Commercial (per kwh) Rate Schedule 23 $0.09350 -$0.01438
Irrigation (per kwh) Rate Schedule 41 $0.08004 -$0.01231

WINTER   PEAK CHARGE OFF-PEAK CREDIT
Residential (per kwh) Rate Schedule 4 $0.03316 -$0.01125
Commercial (per kwh) Rate Schedule 23 $0.04365 -$0.01438
Irrigation (per kwh) Rate Schedule 41 $0.03737 -$0.01231

• Moderators

What I posted is all I could find. These numbers don't make sense ?

Around  2382 sf and the bill average for the summer is $175 and about $100 in the winter, wood heat. 

Electricity Rates by State (Updated March 2019) The average electricity rate is 13.19 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh). The average price a residential customer in the United States pays for electricity is 13.31 cents per kWh.

S

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Pretty good.  We get killed with the water rates here.

HA boy can I relate to that. Cost me $200 for the tank and probably $100 for pvc pipe in 1991 to run my gravity flow water from my cave spring to the house. Really made me mad how expensive that pipe was and I still have occasional nightmares about it.

We never have those rolling brownout problems here as we use reliable Hydro, Nuclear, Nat Gas and Coal for most of our generation. Solar and wind are nice until you don't have wind or sun and there are no battery banks large enough to make up for it.

2017-UPDATED-MAP-Electricity-Prices-gw.jpg

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

Wine country is mainly Sonoma,  Napa counties. north of SF, with in Marin, Humbolt, and Mendocino contributing some. 

He was a good friend of Ansel Adams, studied under him, and sent him wine until Adams could no longer drink it because of illness.  Jack's sons run the winery now.

Sorry to hear about your Good Friend Jack ,  but at least the next Generation will keep up with his entire life's work , that 's the reward any Elder  wishes for -

• Like 2

I'm thinking some folks are just looking at the rate listed on their bill?  Maybe I missed a comment on that but the only number that matters is the total cost.  How many KWH did I use and what was my total bill including all the fees and taxes. I was at 13.7 cents per KWH in June but it has gone as low as 11.2 this year.    I've been tracking for almost 10 years now and have averaged a 4% increase in cost every year.   That yearly increase is what pushed me over the edge to finally install solar panels this summer.  Payback for solar seems pretty good in the more expensive states.

Morning on the farm today. No big panoramic views because all the green things are in the way and hills too. Deer have come and gone and no people no noise and no passing cars. Dug a hole for the runoff from my cave spring so I could hear frogs croaking. If I wish I can sit on my front deck where this picture was taken and shoot deer from it or just plink while I enjoy my cup of coffee. Walnut trees are loaded this year and the front yard will be full of them. I think I will go and sit on the deck now and listen and enjoy the solitude. Driving to work means walking across the yard to the shop where the S-MWM's reside and no one to piss and moan about how loud I play them or when I play them. 5 families on about .8 miles of dead end road and to go around the block is like 9 miles or so.

Things have gotten more expensive though. Paid $350 an acre for 56 acres in 1989. Today though you can still do this but with a double wide and land it will run you probably 200g and the springs are now darned hard to get. Last piece of land sold on my road was the one I bought and I don't expect to see any sell again in my remaining years. Most areas around here are not like the road I live on which has an ever flowing spring for each house. There are at least six springs on my road and might be more if wet spots were dug out. I traveled around the country in my line of  work and saw the land and visited a number of cities and while there are certainly more spectacular views out there, for natural abundance and quality of life I chose what I live on now. A billionaire could not have this in LA because it simply does not exist there for any price. Prices have started going up recently as out of state people fleeing big cities and big expenses are sadly discovering Tennessee. 200g would not buy the lot my Dad's old house is on in Westminster and that just blows my mind. Selling land by the square foot is just crazy especially when everyone gets to tell you what you are allowed to do with it.

Morning.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Morning on the farm today. No big panoramic views because all the green things are in the way and hills too. Deer have come and gone and no people no noise and no passing cars. Dug a hole for the runoff from my cave spring so I could hear frogs croaking. If I wish I can sit on my front deck where this picture was taken and shoot deer from it or just plink while I enjoy my cup of coffee. Walnut trees are loaded this year and the front yard will be full of them. I think I will go and sit on the deck now and listen and enjoy the solitude. Driving to work means walking across the yard to the shop where the S-MWM's reside and no one to piss and moan about how loud I play them or when I play them. 5 families on about .8 miles of dead end road and to go around the block is like 9 miles or so.

Things have gotten more expensive though. Paid $350 an acre for 56 acres in 1989. Today though you can still do this but with a double wide and land it will run you probably 200g and the springs are now darned hard to get. Last piece of land sold on my road was the one I bought and I don't expect to see any sell again in my remaining years. Most areas around here are not like the road I live on which has an ever flowing spring for each house. There are at least six springs on my road and might be more if wet spots were dug out. I traveled around the country in my line of  work and saw the land and visited a number of cities and while there are certainly more spectacular views out there, for natural abundance and quality of life I chose what I live on now. A billionaire could not have this in LA because it simply does not exist there for any price. Prices have started going up recently as out of state people fleeing big cities and big expenses are sadly discovering Tennessee. 200g would not buy the lot my Dad's old house is on in Westminster and that just blows my mind. Selling land by the square foot is just crazy especially when everyone gets to tell you what you are allowed to do with it.

Morning.jpg

Great view, nice place. I get it, and I know everyone has their opinions, but I like living close to a city. I look at a cornfield and woods outside my back door now, and I could move 30 mile east and be in the country, without neighbors for a mile or two. But I choose to live here. I like what a city has to offer. I thought I would HATE Los Angeles, but I went there and it was much nicer than I thought. The only reason I'm considering it, is because he's offering me a boatload (IMO) of money, and the thought of doing great in one of the top markets in the world (Beverly Hills)excites me. There's just a handful of cities in this country offering what he is. Maybe I'll hate it, but I won't know unless I try it. If this works out, my goal is to go there for 6-7 years, bank some cash, and I'll probably retire somewhere in south Texas, where my oldest daughter, and my wife's whole family lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

The only reason I'm considering it, is because he's offering me a boatload (IMO) of money

This reminds me of the situation they had in Alaska years ago.  Companies were doing the same thing as that's the only way they could get people to work and live there.

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

in Beverly Hills , 1 client is all it takes to reference you as a contact , since the inner circle is very exclusive -

My wife has a nephew who worked as an architect in Singapore, designing million dollar bathrooms. That would be a little over $730K in USD. Not sure what he made, but he is now back in the Philippines investing and building for his own projects.

Make good money for a few years and don't spend it on speakers and you'll be ok.  🙄

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

This reminds me of the situation they had in Alaska years ago.  Companies were doing the same thing as that's the only way they could get people to work and live there.

I like to think he wants me because I would be good at this job 😀

8 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

in Beverly Hills , 1 client is all it takes to reference you as a contact , since the inner circle is very exclusive -

He is well established in Beverly Hills, and that can help me. That's the area where he wants me at, he says his other sales guys aren't quite up to the task.

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

My wife has a nephew who worked as an architect in Singapore, designing million dollar bathrooms. That would be a little over $730K in USD. Not sure what he made, but he is now back in the Philippines investing and building for his own projects.

Make good money for a few years and don't spend it on speakers and you'll be ok.  🙄

I can only imagine a million dollar bathroom, wonder what the rest of the place looks like?

I hope to live rather modestly. I'm not sure if I can take all my current stuff with me or not...I have a room here full of guitars and amps.

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

He is well established in Beverly Hills, and that can help me. That's the area where he wants me at, he says his other sales guys aren't quite up to the task.

I can only imagine a million dollar bathroom, wonder what the rest of the place looks like?

I hope to live rather modestly. I'm not sure if I can take all my current stuff with me or not...I have a room here full of guitars and amps.

I would think a million dollar bathroom would include a Valet to wipe your butt.

JJK