Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, babadono said:

Speaking of BUTT Ugly.......you would need a full time maid to keep this looking like this.

Well if you have the money, there is nothing wrong with a maid, I can see it now, OK I need to stop thinking about the maid, probably would not look like I made up in my brain anyway. :huh2:

• Haha 1

Get out there! Make bank and then get the hell out!

I think Baz Luhrmann said to live there once but get out before it makes you soft. (he was talking about Northern CA but close enough)

I've had money and not had money in my life. I prefer to have it. But I also know that it is not where you are but who you're with that makes me happy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I know there are those who love the city and more power to them. If you love the city you will be ecstatic with LA since you can't get more city than that.  It for me is the place to go to extract money and then return to sanity with it. #1 thing people who love cities say is everything is so close and then they often spend more time in traffic jams getting there then I do with my 15 mile or so drive. But mile wise yes it is closer.

Good luck on your venture and hope it works out well.

Thank you.

I've never actually lived in a city, just at the edge of a medium size city (1.2 million) and I know LA is quite a drastic change from Indy. I would go there for a few years, then probably on to  San Antonio Tx. If I had the money, I would have a place in northern Michigan as a vacation home, I like to play in the snow. I do like the country though, it's quiet, peaceful, and safer. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

And there ain't anyone in LA who can make you happy.

If you find them there, stay. If you find you miss the ones you left in Indy, go back.

I'm just saying, it's not the weather or the view that will make you happy long term. (or the payrate)

• Like 1

I had a job in Tampa once but my home and wife were still in TX.  I was making more money than I ever had at any point in my life up till that point.  The company I worked for would fly her out every 3 weeks to see me.  It still got to the point where I had my fill of being away from home and ended up leaving.  My savings account was growing but I was miserable.  It wasn't worth it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Get out there! Make bank and then get the hell out!

I think Baz Luhrmann said to live there once but get out before it makes you soft. (he was talking about Northern CA but close enough)

I've had money and not had money in my life. I prefer to have it. But I also know that it is not where you are but who you're with that makes me happy.

Northern CA and Southern CA are anything but "close enough".  If you've never lived in northern CA you owe it to yourself to do it once (San Fransisco is not northern CA) north and east of Sacramento CA is a special place that has very few peers on the entire planet.  Moderate winters, hot summers (but not the hottest and has plenty of water to cool off) less than two hours to the ocean or to the mountains.  You can ski in the mornings and surf in the afternoon on the same day if you want.  The people are waaaaay more laid back and friendly than southern CA and tend to lean more libertarian than liberal.  

You want bright shiny, loud, obnoxious, intense, everyday go Southern CA.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Well if you have the money, there is nothing wrong with a maid, I can see it now, OK I need to stop thinking about the maid, probably would not look like I made up in my brain anyway. :huh2:

I'm just thinking you could have a great filipina maid... so go ahead and think on that.

• Like 2

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm just thinking you could have a great filipina maid... so go ahead and think on that.

Sure if I had the money, any flavor would do, but I would get in trouble with any of them.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Sure if I had the money, any flavor would do, but I would get in trouble with any of them.

Yes, that is true. Understand, when I first teaveled to the Philippines, I already knew the womanwho would become my wife...

The great thing is you often can't tell tell the difference between a 16 yr old and a 30 yr old...

The bad thing is, you can't tell the difference between...  you get the picture. That could be really dangerous.

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:36 AM, Ceptorman said:

If this works out, my goal is to go there for 6-7 years, bank some cash, and I'll probably retire somewhere in south Texas, where my oldest daughter, and my wife's whole family lives.

Sounds like a solid plan, with great work experience in store too.

My brother has been living in LA for about 7 years working for a computer company. He's making good green in addition to making payments on a house that has gone up 50% in value so far. The plan was and still is not to stay for long but he's enjoying his life.

He recently sent this picture. The left is from Nov 2019 and the right was taken today, both late morning. Lots of fires out there now.

119048826_10221138267779646_8050035231643080493_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 1:01 PM, oldtimer said:

I find it hilarious that people there refer to living in a county instead of the actual city they live in.  What is up with that?  It just seems cnutish.

Ahh your screen name fits well with your comments! Lol They do something different that me, they must be crazy.  Get off my grass!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Have you looked into income TAX?

Excellent point. I have considered what my best option is. He can pay me either with a W-2, or a 1099. I'll still keep my business in Indiana going, insurance also, so I can be considered a contractor. I need to talk to a tax attorney that knows Indiana and California laws. I've heard of people living in Cal for a few years and keep their vehicle registered in their own state, and just pat Cal income tax. Certainly do not want to do anything illegal, but I want to keep any unnecessary costs down. I've also heard that Cal can try to tax you after you move away, if you're a Cal resident, like a departure tax (maybe someone that's heard of this can chime in) 

There's so much to consider....it's almost frightening!

47 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Carl, pretty informative tax chart. Based on what I make now, to what he claims I can make, the tax rate goes up almost 50%, it's not quite that high of a rate in Indiana. I might need more write-offs!

There's another area there where it shows take home pay and yes, you're losing about 50% of what you make.