Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

3 hours ago, richieb said:

Maybe rent a car and drive to Cali. A few hours of seat time for some last minute pondering. If your gut tells you I can’t do this hit the next exit and head home. Once you strapped in the the flying tube your decision has been made — 

I have considered driving, just the 2 days of peaceful travel sounds nice, and hit the SWAG on the way! I could bring a guitar, bicycle, anything I might need but can't bring on a plane. I would have to rent a car though, my gas guzzling HD truck won't cut it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave A said:

When you are a frog in the pan of warming water you miss a lot. This guy is so used to all the burden of living out there that he thinks it is the way life is and things that will be new expenses to you he accepts as being normal everywhere. Intent to deceive may not be there but glossing over bad things will be. You can visit the ocean and see the mountains with snow on top for skiing sounds really good and those things are there. Then you have to pay rent and gas to drive and sit in 10 hours of traffic  to enjoy those things. Natives are so used to this stuff that they don't factor in how negatively this effects the outcome.

Northern CA has a fraction of the traffic. Again, if OP is talking LA I recommend running, not walking the other way. 

2 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

Northern CA has a fraction of the traffic. Again, if OP is talking LA I recommend running, not walking the other way. 

It is located on the north side of LA. I spent 4 days there (pre-covid) and never saw any traffic jams, I never even stopped once on the highway, and I cruised that whole area for 4 days. Everyone was super friendly....I wasn't prepared to like it as much as I did.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I hope by the time you get out there it does not look like this pic of me burning branches.

The guy your going to work for his sales might be down a little right now? It would be a  hard sell right now.

Yes ma'am can I interest you in a fire pit or outdoor kitchen, as soon as the fire in the neighborhood stops we can start ?  :o

misc (39).jpg

On 9/14/2020 at 5:32 AM, Ceptorman said:

Over the past few months, I've remained quiet, he contacted me 5x more than I contacted him. Our talks recently have been more of a personal nature. He's inquired about my hobbies, interest, values, family. Things like what I do for fun, vacations.

he should have lodged you , or housed you for 1 month with full perks , rental car ,  etc , and if you decided to stay  , 1 full year , all expenses paid , this is the way you attract good talent , you pay the way ,  for the new manager to settle in - no worries -it's not easy to  transplant one self from a settled lifestyle , at a moment's notice , even with money promises on the line ,  but incentives do speak louder ----

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

he should have lodged you , or housed you for 1 month with full perks , rental car ,  etc , and if you decided to stay  , 1 full year , all expenses paid , this is the way you attract good talent , you pay the way ,  for the new manager to settle in - no worries -it's not easy to  transplant one self from a settled lifestyle , at a moment's notice , even with money promises on the line ,  but incentives do speak louder ----

We both decided to go a different route, he's paying me well for 4 weeks, and I handle all my costs. I'm even considering driving out, mainly to take a few things with me that I can't take on a plane....guitar, bike, plenty of clothes. 

I don't think the fires are affecting their business. I talked with him yesterday and they are "crazy busy".

I did throw my resume out into the world a few weeks ago, and have received an interesting job offer. We talked on the phone Monday, and they want me to tour their facility soon. The position is for a construction/installation supervisor for an entertainment company here in Indy. They are a theme creator, prop builder, and attractions provider for theme parks, entertainment centers, museums, and tourist attractions. They specialize in virtual reality rooms, laser tag, and escape rooms. It does include travel, and some travel out of the country. It doesn't pay anything like the potential sales position in Cal, but I won't have to move my family 2200 miles. So as you can see, I have a lot on my mind. I'm also dealing with 3 medical issues.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

, he's paying me well for 4 weeks, and I handle all my costs.

Go for the month, see what's going on and decide from there, if the money is really good work it for a while and save. If you decide to stay you will know much better whats going on in the area by then. 

• Like 1

Yes...No....It really depends on how you feel about moving there!   I can think of a lot of great reasons to move to the “City of Angels” and a few downsides.  It really all comes down to what makes you happy (sounds like Dr Phil corny but it is true).  Do what feels right and you are going in the right direction! No matter what you do I am sure it will be the right decision.  The key is to not give up what’s right because it is scary/tough/people tell you it is wrong/etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been working away from my wife and kids for ~7 years.  My youngest is 9 so that has been tough.  I am home every weekend and make the most of every second.  I have a career I could have no where else but where I am.  I struggle regularly if I. Am doing the right thing but my wife and kids are so sweet and love me more than I deserve and I think they may love me more than if I were there every day.  I am probably delusional but they tell me how much they appreciate, love, care for and understand me regularly.  

• Like 2