Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Update.....I'm going out to LA for one month, starting in about a month. He made me a pretty good offer, spend a month working, then make a decision if it's worth it to move there. 

I'm excited, can't wait....

good luck, hope it all works out for you.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Update.....I'm going out to LA for one month, starting in about a month. He made me a pretty good offer, spend a month working, then make a decision if it's worth it to move there. 

finally , you're ready for a challenge

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I'm excited for you ... wish it was me.

just keep things in perspective ... the high cost of housing is intimidating; but remember not everyone are millionaires -- you can get by if you have a decent income. 

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 10:12 AM, JohnW said:

. If you can afford to buy a house, or even a nice condo, do it. You will never lose money over the long haul on California real estate. 

remember

housing is a transient thing in CA... Fire/flood/earthquake keeps the construction industry going.

If you are driving and feel like slumming, stop by.  Not too far outa the way, if you take I-10

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:
13 hours ago, rebuy said:

The Grass is Always Greener somewhere else, or is it?

might not be greener.. but it is legal

And probably a bunch of other colors mixed in.

To the original question, IMO YES you would have to be crazy, completely..................   but that's just me, when your life is going to good move to a big odd city, that should fix it.

14 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Good luck.  This is a pivotal point in your life.  Remember the words of the great Yogi Berra.  If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

I'm in Elden's boat... but we choose to not live in a city. Have to consider that

but aside

Best wishes

Hope everything goes better than expected for ya. One thing about moving a distance.... it takes a while to "learn the ropes"... by my experience in HI.  After you are there for a while, you find where to get what you need better/cheaper.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, dtel said:

And probably a bunch of other colors mixed in.

To the original question, IMO YES you would have to be crazy, completely..................   but that's just me, when your life is going to good move to a big odd city, that should fix it.

in the East , we work half a season or less , in Construction ,  in the West , you can pretty much do it all year round -   -

he' s going into a business as a Director of Operations /interiors of restaurants, office buildings /hi-end residential clients, /masonry and decorative concrete.which is a Specialty trade  and the future looks brighter in LA  ----

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I'm in Elden's boat... but we choose to not live in a city. Have to consider that

Yes that was me I was thinking about when I said that, no way, for me. But everyone is different, I know a city like LA can be exciting with many new things to do and see and that fits some people perfectly. We left the city many years ago for a subdivision in the suburbs, years later we tried a house away from anything else with 18 acres, that is when we decided to never live in a city or subdivision and moved to where we are now.

But I know people would would not have it any other way than in the city, it's all in what makes you happy, that is the main goal, be happy.

I hope you like where ever you decide to be in the long run, try it, it may be just what you like ? The only goal really is to be happy, what else really matters ?

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

in the West , you can pretty much do it all year round - he's had enough of winters  and the loss of revenue  -

Sounds like my brother in law, moved to Alaska, started a business replacing windows and light remodeling and made a killing. But after 20 years they decided they did not want to deal with that kind of cold anymore and moved. They did like Alaska but said at times the cold was to much to deal with, they would send pictures of the thermometer on the porch at -50, and not the wind chill.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:27 PM, Ceptorman said:

Where exactly are you going to be? Or don't you know yet?

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

Sounds like my brother in law, moved to Alaska, started a business replacing windows and light remodeling and made a killing. But after 20 years they decided they did not want to deal with that kind of cold anymore and moved. They did like Alaska but said at times the cold was to much to deal with, they would send pictures of the thermometer on the porch at -50, and not the wind chill.

I work  as far as Hudson's Bay -there are very strong  winds around some parts of Quebec and mostly Islands , and at minus 50 degrees , it's a lotta fun

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

After you are there for a while, you find where to get what you need better/cheaper.

the traffic in LA is something , else , everytime I hit California or Texas , it's traffic for hours , no thank you------

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

I work  as far as Hudson's Bay -there are very strong  winds around some parts of Quebec and mostly Islands , and at minus 50 degrees , it's a lotta fun

I think they were between Fairbanks and North Pole Alaska. I couldn't imagine -50 and with wind, the coldest I have ever seen was like 7.

• Haha 1

We lived in S.F. Bay Area for many decades, in Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco.  We loved the intellectual ferment.  We hear that such is available in L.A., but, despite several visits, we don't know exactly where ... perhaps near one of the Universities, where you can drop in on good discussions.  UCLA, USC, Caltech.  

We have sometimes returned from L.A. with headaches related to self-worth being associated with how much money one makes.  We almost never heard that in the S.F. area, but we hear that it is changing, also.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:02 PM, rebuy said:

The Grass is Always Greener somewhere else, or is it?

Is the green stuff good?

On 8/4/2020 at 10:03 PM, RandyH000 said:

finally , you're ready for a challenge

Yes, I think I'm ready.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:11 PM, BigStewMan said:

I'm excited for you ... wish it was me.

just keep things in perspective ... the high cost of housing is intimidating; but remember not everyone are millionaires -- you can get by if you have a decent income. 

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Maybe if I move out there, you can visit.

• Like 1