FOUND! - WTB Crossovers and single tweeter

danalog02

Hello all!

I'm working on a rebuild project for my Speakerlab K horns (detailed over in Technical/Modifications) and many of you have been very helpful with insight and advice. I need a few pieces to continue my build and I'm hoping y'all might have some extra stuff laying around you'd be willing to make a deal on.

I need one K-77-M or EV T-35 square magnet tweeter and a pair of AA crossovers or something that can be easily modified into AA-style. I plan to keep these fairly old-school (no Crites tweeters for now). Shipping would be to Murfreesboro, TN 37128.

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

Just built your own crossovers, very simple schematic. You can look at it here: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/113804-klipsch-crossovers/

Scroll down to the 2nd post.

And of course you could buy them new from Crites too.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a lot of experience building electronics from schematics, and it seems like the parts themselves could end up costing as much or more than the finished product. I would need some step by step YouTube videos to pull it off I think.

4 hours ago, danalog02 said:

Thanks for the info. I don't have a lot of experience building electronics from schematics, and it seems like the parts themselves could end up costing as much or more than the finished product. I would need some step by step YouTube videos to pull it off I think.

Yes the cost of parts could easily get out of hand foe sure. Do you have the old xo's (a or AA) to start with? If so all you would need would be just the caps, and that could be done easily on a budget. Dayton or Solen caps for this xover would be ~$30. And the cost of a .245uH coil (if you have an A) are cheap too. The only real  "skill" needed would be to solder. Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Yes the cost of parts could easily get out of hand foe sure. Do you have the old xo's (a or AA) to start with? If so all you would need would be just the caps, and that could be done easily on a budget. Dayton or Solen caps for this xover would be ~$30. And the cost of a .245uH coil (if you have an A) are cheap too. The only real  "skill" needed would be to solder. Just a thought.

Thanks. Yes, I know how to solder and have a nice variable temp iron. I don't have any crossovers at all to modify. Starting from scratch. That's why I'm looking for an old pair of AA's or something easily modified into AA's.

If anyone is interested, I could sweeten a crossover network deal with a couple of items:

A Hidizs AP80 digital audio player (in great shape with original rubbery case and optional leather case and I'll throw in a 128gb micro SD card) - https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80

and/or a

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic XS portable USB DAC (in like new condition, only used at my office) - https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-xs

20200310_122109-COLLAGE.jpg

30 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I think @jimjimbo has some parts recently removed from La Scalas that he's offering up for sale.

I've already been talking with Jim, and his crossovers are AL, which from my research are a bit cost prohibitive to convert to AA. He also wants to sell driver pairs, which I don't need, so I don't want to break up his sales.

@jimjimbo has been extremely helpful and gracious in looking out for me so far.

• Like 1

Have you determined if your mid-drivers are working properly. I have read many of your posts and seen their pictures, but am not sure if you have tested them out yet.

In any event, if you need mid drivers as well as crossovers and at least one tweeter, there is a package deal on ebay that is not too bad if you need all these parts. AK-3 are good x-overs used in Khorns and should work well for your Speakerlab K redo. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipschorn-AK-3-Crossovers-Mid-Drivers-Tweeters-Bundle/174213685843?hash=item288ff1e253:g:mncAAOSw4cFeIUGC

I have/had built a dozen or so Speakerlab speaker pairs back in the day. Always like their products. Never did the K.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Have you determined if your mid-drivers are working properly. I have read many of your posts and seen their pictures, but am not sure if you have tested them out yet.

In any event, if you need mid drivers as well as crossovers and at least one tweeter, there is a package deal on ebay that is not too bad if you need all these parts. AK-3 are good x-overs used in Khorns and should work well for your Speakerlab K redo. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipschorn-AK-3-Crossovers-Mid-Drivers-Tweeters-Bundle/174213685843?hash=item288ff1e253:g:mncAAOSw4cFeIUGC

I have/had built a dozen or so Speakerlab speaker pairs back in the day. Always like their products. Never did the K.

Hi. I've used a multimeter on both midranges and the one tweeter I have and all have continuity between terminals. The tweeter measured at about 6.5 ohms and the mids measured 8 ohms each, so I have no reason to suspect a problem with any of them at the moment. I think I can still wrangle EV 1823m diaphragms if I need to.

Thanks for the link, though.

24 minutes ago, danalog02 said:

I don't have any crossovers at all, parts or whole.

I have this in my server.  I don't see any attenuation so I am assuming that this needs to have L Pads added. 

I think that this is based on the following:

Woofer - 4 ohms

Mid - 16 ohms

Tweeter - 8 ohms

Any crossover experts want to chime in? 

DHA2 modified to remove transformer.jpg

Assuming no one has AA crossovers to sell or that they're willing to part with, I'm considering going the route of Crites B&K Sound Type A/4500 Crossover with some Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeters that @Khornukopia has been using extensively in his crazy beautiful Khorn & home theater builds.

Anyone have experience with these or maybe have a pair of A/4500's to sell? I don't have any issues with Bob Crites or what he sells, I just hate throwing all my money in the same direction.

48 minutes ago, danalog02 said:

Assuming no one has AA crossovers to sell or that they're willing to part with, I'm considering going the route of Crites B&K Sound Type A/4500 Crossover with some Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeters that @Khornukopia has been using extensively in his crazy beautiful Khorn & home theater builds.

Anyone have experience with these or maybe have a pair of A/4500's to sell? I don't have any issues with Bob Crites or what he sells, I just hate throwing all my money in the same direction.

You will need to replace the K77s with something that can go lower, like the JBL 2404. 

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You will need to replace the K77s with something that can go lower, like the JBL 2404. 

The Dayton Audio Planars are 8 ohms, 80 watts power handling, 2 kHz to 26 kHz frequency response w/ 94 dB 1W/1m sensitivity. They recommend crossing over at 3 kHz or above, which is certainly within spec for the A/4500 crossovers.

5 hours ago, danalog02 said:

I've already been talking with Jim, and his crossovers are AL, which from my research are a bit cost prohibitive to convert to AA. He also wants to sell driver pairs, which I don't need, so I don't want to break up his sales.

@jimjimbo has been extremely helpful and gracious in looking out for me so far.

Thank you for your kind words.