Affordable amplification thread

-Russian-Spy-

Hey guys, im looking for a little advice about amplification.  Im looking for 3 stereo amplifiers under 500 total, i built a low powered set last year and have been very happy with the results so far. However i just bought an ev dc one, and am looking into tri-amping while i decide on a larger horn upgrade path.  So during this process i need a few amplifier reccomendations that are affordable, and can be found on the used market easily.  Ive read the crown d45's came well recommend, any other recommendations?

I also have been looking at some interesting local sales, there is an outlaw 5 channel amplifier within the the price range, but integrated seems more fitting for my needs. Also there is an Elan d1650 for peanuts that may fit my needs as a temporary solution ( the elan is a 16 channel class t amplifier) Thoughts?

I really don't mess much with amplifier swapping (I spend my time more productively dialing-in DSP crossovers and on improving room acoustics), but I have found a couple of amplifier types that sound good:

1) Crown D-75A or D-45 (the difference being the size of the power supply only) (class AB):  these are solid amplifiers with good sounding output--maybe not as fast as much higher priced amplifiers or perhaps the better class D amplifiers, I still use five D-75As in my main setup (Jub bass bins, tri-amped center K-402-MEH, bi-amped surround AMT-1s with Belle bass bins).  I've bought these for as little as $75 on craigslist, with a typical price of $100-$120. 

2) ICEpower modules (class D): stereo 50ASX2 modules can be had for $99 each, and you can house them within your own box, since they are completely self-contained modules with their own power supplies. These are even better sounding than the Crown D-series amplifiers, being much faster (i.e., greater bandwidth) than the Crowns.  You can also buy boxes to put the modules into.

Chris

26 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I really don't mess much with amplifier swapping (I spend my time more productively dialing-in DSP crossovers and on improving room acoustics), but I have found a couple of amplifier types that sound good:

1) Crown D-75A or D-45 (the difference being the size of the power supply only) (class AB):  these are solid amplifiers with good sounding output--maybe not as fast as much higher priced amplifiers or perhaps the better class D amplifiers, I still use five D-75As in my main setup (Jub bass bins, tri-amped center K-402-MEH, bi-amped surround AMT-1s with Belle bass bins).  I've bought these for as little as $75 on craigslist, with a typical price of $100-$120. 

2) ICEpower modules (class D): stereo 50ASX2 modules can be had for $99 each, and you can house them within your own box, since they are completely self-contained modules with their own power supplies. These are even better sounding than the Crown D-series amplifiers, being much faster (i.e., greater bandwidth) than the Crowns.  You can also buy boxes to put the modules into.

Chris

I have several Crown D-75As in my basement system, and just dropped a spare D-45 into my Klipschorn system this week. They really do sound great, and as Chris A mentioned, they are readily available and cheap. 

12 hours ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

So during this process i need a few amplifier recommendations that are affordable, and can be found on the used market easily.  Any other recommendations?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/d/tucson-acurus-a200x3-power-amplifier-1/7079075227.html

https://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/d/tucson-parasound-hca-1200-mkii-power/7079160966.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/d/mesa-marantz-ma6100-mono-block-home-amp/7076249545.html

https://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/d/tempe-nad-2600-stereo-amplifier/7081705258.html

11 hours ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

there is an outlaw 5 channel amplifier within the the price range

Good choice.

Bill

I live in New England and there are always Adcom amps coming up for sale on Craigslist.

Pay attention to the GFA 535, 545, or 555. They are a similar design and differ mostly in power. The other Adcom series are unknown to me and I would shy away from them. 

A decent price on the 535 is around $125,  for the 545 around $225, for the 555 is around $350-400. I have a preference for the original series (as opposed to the "ii" versions), but I can be happy with either. 

Since you are try-amping, don't go crazy price-wise for the amp powering the tweeters. There is little energy up at those highest octaves. Save your money for the woofers and mids. I assume you are using high -efficiency speakers, so would worry most about whether the amps deliver a clean signal without any hiss or hum.

Good Luck,

-Tom

There is a discount on Crown amps on Thomann site.

Which brings me to thinking of getting  Xli 800 or Xls 1002. Intended use would be for active stereo.

Can anyone give opinion or reasons why prefer one over the other? 

I know DaveA mentioned about driving SMWMs with Xli 800, any other forum member?

I shortly browsed internet, most agree these amps are good for driving bass and not so much high frequency units. Several use them for driving KEF LS50s.

I do not see much difference between Xli and Xls, except Xli is AB class and can be a bit warm. Xls is D class and rated at 2 ohms.

Fan noise mentioned as a potential downside in Xli series would probably not be a problem to me, since I have a cheap computer 2.1 system that hums but I do not notice it when music plays.

On 3/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, tromprof said:

I have several Crown D-75As in my basement system, and just dropped a spare D-45 into my Klipschorn system this week. They really do sound great, and as Chris A mentioned, they are readily available and cheap. 

And easy to work on and upgrade.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, parlophone1 said:

I know DaveA mentioned about driving SMWMs with Xli 800, any other forum member?

After Dave mentioned using the XLi800 on his SMWMs, I got one to use on my MWM bins. Currently have a passive crossover from my LaScalas I am using, but I have found it quiet. In my room, I am barely using the power it has. I also have a Crown D-45 that was modified by Mark Deneen (Juicy Music Audio), and it sounds better, but for some it wouldn't be powerful enough. He upped the slew rate a little...

The XLi series aren't pretty to look at, but I don't watch when I am listening to music. The only complaint I would have is the blue power LED is too bright. I may see how the LED is mounted and put a higher value resistor in to cut down the current and make it dimmer. A piece of tape or card stock works, too...

Bruce