Klipsch RF-7 III Unflattering UK Review

Oniiz86

I came across this unflattering review of Klipsch's RF-7 III published back in October 2018 in the UK, https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/shop/product/viewfile?FileId=4754&ProductId=937

A couple of excerpts from the Lab report, "Klipsch claims an exceptional 100dB SPL sensitivity for its RF-7 III but our measured 92.8dB on pink noise suggests that figure might as well be plucked from the air. The RF-7 III is a sensitive loudspeaker, just nowhere near as sensitive as its manufacturer suggests."

"The forward frequency responses, measured on the axis of the horn tweeter [see Graph 1, below], feature a suckout of about 7dB close to the 1.3kHz crossover, with output rising thereafter to 9kHz. These result in response errors of ±6.5dB and ±5.7dB respectively (200Hz-20kHz), allied to a slightly disappointing ±1.5dB pair matching. Despite the treble prominence, the horn tweeter’s restricted directivity will reduce treble power output and may result in a sound that lacks treble ‘air’, both because the spectrum of the side wall reflections will be denuded of treble, and because the room reverberant sound will lack treble energy too. The CSD waterfall [Graph 2] is mostly quite clean in the treble but with some suggestion of resonances around 1kHz."

Their "Lab Report" test results seem really rather disappointing & not what I would expect from Klipsch's flagship Reference RF-7 III monsters, I believe these have received unanimous praise from owners & professional reviewers alike, I had not heard of any real negatives at all until this UK review.

@Oniiz86,

Myself, as well as countless others take professional "reviews" with a grain of salt.  Not disregarding their value but subjectivity is always prominent even in the most ideal acoustic conditions.  The same with measurements.  They have value but to me they are not the be-all and end-all.

I have heard the RF-7III's in not the most ideal conditions(large high ceiling hard surfaces family room/kitchen/dining room combo) and they sounded incredible with punchy fast bass and a well rounded midrange and on to the detailed not harsh high end.

As far as sensitivity, I think Klipsch's figures are with boundary gain while positioned in corners.  @Chief bonehead, correct me on that if I am mistaken.

Bill

I've measured them inside, even hauled them out on the porch and measured them outside as to try to minimize reflections.  I have not believed there to be a massive 7 db suckout as mentioned, thinking maybe he has some weird angles.  However I measured this awhile ago and unfortunately I cut off everything to the left but now that I look back, yeah it's kind of headed in that direction isn't it.  

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1