New Owner - Klipschorns

Eddie B

Happy owner of a pair of free Klipschorns (KBWO).  They were my Dad’s and I had to drive 28 hrs round trip to get them, but super excited to have them.  Have read and read on many topics so know small rooms are not optimal, but this is what I have for now (12’x12').  Upon arrival, set them up tightly in corners and listened. Had a real problem with the squawkers as they were intermittently working. With Bob Crites help, I confirmed it was not a driver issue.  I went ahead and ordered a pair of Crites AA cross overs to hopefully get everything freshened up. Should arrive mid week.  Fingers crossed only electrical issue. 

Question is really on groups experience with the veneers. Tops of cabs have some weird stains so likely need to lightly sand to clean up.  A lot of the banding is coming off so I ordered some from Oakwood Veneers. Will pull off full strips where there are chips and reapply new veneers. Other area I plan to just hit with some 0000 steel wool for prep. To oil, I bought some Watco Rejuvenating Oil. Finally to my question, what is your experience with this oil and applying to surfaces that are cleaned sanded, new banding, and just roughed up?  How did it match?  Clearly I will test it ahead of time, but just trying to get a sense if I need to plan for another step while I wait for veneers.

Thank you for all the shared knowledge already captured here!  Looked forward to any helpful responses. Have a great day!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eddie B said:

Happy owner of a pair of free Klipschorns (KBWO).  They were my Dad’s and I had to drive 28 hrs round trip to get them...

In my book, driving 28 hours does not constitute "free!"  Nevertheless, hearty congrats!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hope fresh crossovers has these singing. What is serial number to see DOB?

Never used the Watco product. Excellent results using Howard.’s Wax and  Feed. It will darken the color a little. The larger horn has three sloppy coats and it is several shades darker than raw. 

6C1B8D85-0EF4-4705-B62F-8597F665BE78.jpeg

The Watco will work fine. Keep any sanding to a minimum and follow the directions on the can. It is hard to predict whether it will be a great match with the new veneer, but if you are using a walnut veneer, it should be close enough. If you have extra veneer, run some tests ahead of time. Use the Watco pigmented oils if they need to be darkened.  Do not attempt to tweak the color with stain or dye (that takes some experience which most of us do not have). 

When you set them up, search the threads on "pipe foam" and try that also. 

Good luck and it sounds like they will get the love they deserve,

-Tom

• Like 3