More Tube Pain

John Warren

And here's the Toroidal output transformer version of the amplifier.  I had the transformers wound specifically for this project.  The output modules are a wee bit different (DC balance and feedback circuits) for both stable operation and enhanced bandwidth.   The transformer are also sized for 60W.

LK72A_toroidal_1.jpg

LK72A_toroidal_2.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just completed my second week of furlough from work, during which time I rebuilt and modified two solid state amps, so I'm a little weary of breathing solder smoke at the moment. But someday I hope to build a multichannel (more than 2) 7591 amp.

LK-72 is one of the nicest sounding amps I've heard. My father left me his, but unfortunately it is gathering dust in my basement at the moment.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, Edgar said:

LK-72 is one of the nicest sounding amps I've heard. My father left me his, but unfortunately it is gathering dust in my basement at the moment.

I've been listening to the one described above for about five weeks now and I'm quite pleased with it, even with the low end tubes I'm using.  I have a chassis design that is 1/4" thick Aluminum plate that everything bolts on to.  I sent the plate out to get clear anodized, and will look awesome!    

I machined it to accept either the Hammond, Scott or the Transcendar output transfformers.  Still lots of bits and pieces to attend to but it's coming along.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The chassis plate for the LK-72A clone and will be shipped from the machine shop in a few weeks.  The plate is machined from a 1/4" plate of Aluminum alloy.  PC boards and transformer locations are shown in the layout.  The PC boards will be mounted to the plate using standoffs.  The boards will be enclosed in a cage (red outline in the layout).   

amplifier_chassis_layout.jpg

chassis_plate_3.jpg

chassis_plate.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, John Warren said:

Dear God man I haven't even got the prototype built and we're already "upgrading" the design.

That said, there really no advantage to going Cu on this particular part but I like your spunk.

I was thinking about maybe something simple DIY, maybe a phono-pre, saw this, I give up, LOL.

Beautiful. 

In addition to the copper option I would like a matching Klipsch wood option.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So back at it. 

I order 5 chassis plates from the machine shop and, due to COVID had to deal with a slip in delivery of about 6wks.

First, installing transformers.  Here, the Hammond OTs and the Scott LK72 power supply transformer.  On the next unit, I'll be using the Heyboer LK72A replacement PS transformer and Transcendar LK72A clone OTs.    In this build, it's the amp alone.

Potentiometers are CHA and CHB level adjust, center channel level adjust and balance.  RCA jacks are Amphenol, CHA and CHB input and center channel out are shown above the pots.  

chassis_6.JPG

chassis_7.JPG

chassis_8.JPG

chassis_1.JPG

chassis_2.JPG

chassis_3.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Are two wires in parallel better than one that is 1.414x the diameter? :o

You know better than this @Edgar.  As detailed in a different post, paralleled resistors sound better.  What are wires?  Resistors!

When you start getting into parallel theory, though, you can't use 1.414x, you have to switch to the golden mean.

"Golden mean or gold wire, your choice!" is what I always heard.  

But I'm known for hearing things, so use caution with my advice.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

You know better than this @Edgar

These memes pop up every so often in totally unrelated threads, and I pity the newcomer to the Forum who has no idea where they come from or what they are about. 

Now if I can just find my stash of black zip ties ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

You know better than this @Edgar.  As detailed in a different post, paralleled resistors sound better.  What are wires?  Resistors!

When you start getting into parallel theory, though, you can't use 1.414x, you have to switch to the golden mean.

"Golden mean or gold wire, your choice!" is what I always heard.  

huh?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, John Warren said:

huh?

Hey John, nice to see you.

It's in reference to other threads and posts in the Talkin' Tube section where some (1) one claim there is an audible difference (and distinct advantage) in using two resistors in parallel over one. It's sore of an inside running joke. 

Always nice ot see your creations. 

Please post a photo of your bench in the "Post a photo of your bench" tread in this section.

• Moderators

Don't know if this is way off topic or not. Are there standards, like from AES, or CTA, for specifications for amplifiers? Like what protocols, standards should be used to come up with power rating, THD, THD + N, etc.? There are specific protocols and standards from IEC and AES on how to test for speaker specifications. It there the same for amplifiers?

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Don't know if this is way off topic or not. Are there standards, like from AES, or CTA, for specifications for amplifiers? Like what protocols, standards should be used to come up with power rating, THD, THD + N, etc.? There are specific protocols and standards from IEC and AES on how to test for speaker specifications. It there the same for amplifiers?

There are methods described in CEA standards (Consumer Electronics Association) and amplifiers can be certified to meet those standards.  If they're compliant it will be listed in the product datasheet.  Audio analyzers (CLIO, NTI, Keysight, AP) are capable of measuring to the standards.

• Thanks 1