More Tube Pain

John Warren

On 4/10/2021 at 9:26 PM, John Warren said:

They're 25W RMS,

To anyone (this isn't specifically directed to John...

1.  I know nothing about the technical side of tube amps

2.  I don't really care in that it won't change my day

3.  I'm simply a very curious type which leads me to ask.....

Does the above suggest that this transformer would be most compatible with an amp of say, 25 watts or less, as contrasted to an amp capable of say, 100 watts?  

Is that the correlation?

22 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:

@John Warren  Any updates?

Nothing exciting.

I've had inquires to purchase either as a completed unit or a kit.  I purchased parts for three units and the third is built but waiting on the 7591s and, as of today, JJ is still down due to material shortages.  I ordered the tubes early June. 

Regardless, I've ordered more hardware to a make a few more amps.  The chassis plates will have mounting hole patterns to accept either the Lundahl, Hammond, Transcendar or OEM output transformers.  The Lundahl OTs are heavy and the housing, which is nice btw, has four threaded holes for M4 screws at the bottom for mounting to a chassis. M4s are too small.  If I was to ship amps with M4 screws holding the transformers down they'd likely break the screws.  That said, the next sets of performance tests I'll show will be with the Lundahl output transformers.

Here's the wiring on the underside of the chassis (unit #3).  SN_003-1.thumb.jpg.8b3a395057726f110a8018baa837ed80.jpg

23 hours ago, Coytee said:

Does the above suggest that this transformer would be most compatible with an amp of say, 25 watts or less, as contrasted to an amp capable of say, 100 watts?  

Is that the correlation?

The 25W rating is the power dissipation the windings are designed for.  

3 hours ago, John Warren said:

The 25W rating is the power dissipation the windings are designed for.  

I might lean more on the side of core saturation than strictly winding capability, but I've spent quite a bit of time in the guitar amplifier arena where such things are seen as 'guidelines' to be abused for color and effect.

At any rate, the manufacturer feels they'll work good enough to preserve their reputation up to 25 watts.  After that, things start going sideways.