KPT-904 vs KPT-396

Simon830

Greetings, 

I am looking for a set of pro speakers and I am in need of some information from everybody. From what I have read, the KPT-904 is one of the best pro speakers to buy and I would love a chance to get a pair. I looked at the JBL 4722 but I want to go with the kpt-904s as I dont see an advantage with the JBLs. However, if somebody thinks the JBL 4722 is better, I would love to hear your input. 

I have also read the KI-396-SMA-II is an amazing speaker  and i am interested, but is about $1000 more than the kpt-904 per speaker, so there is noway I am spending more to get less. However, the cinema version of the KI-396-SMA-II is the kPT-396, which intrigues me because perhaps the price is lower because its a surround speaker, but I cannot find a price for it anywhere online or any information. If the kpt-396 is much cheaper than the KI-396-SMA-II, I may want to go with that route. Also, i have not found an easy way to purchase the kpt-904 as there is no website i can directly order from. 

If anybody can shed some light on the kpt-396, where to get it and the price its sold at, that would be helpful. 

If anybody knows a good place around the Seattle area to purchase a pair of kpt-904s, used or new, it would also be greatly appreciated. 

My setup will be mainly 95% for movies, and I plan on building a pair of GSG Devastator subwoofers later on down the road but probably not for a while. 

Thank you all for your help. 

Forum member @MetropolisLakeOutfitters of Paducah Home Theater is an authorized Klipsch dealer, and highly recommended by those who have done business with him. He handles most, if not all of the Klipsch home and Pro lines and can provide quotes for the purchase and delivery of these products.

(I can't seem to get the @ function to work for Cory. Can another member help me out?)

Interesting, I didn't know the KPT 396 existed.   Highly doubt it would be much cheaper than the ki 396 II, but you never know until you ask I suppose.  Man, if I had the xilica at the time I had the 396s, I may never have gotten rid of them.   They really need eq boost in the high frequencies at lower volumes and the grilles off.   

If the kpt-396 is no cheaper than the ki-396, than its definitely not worth buying it NEW at least. I am aware the 396 is designed to be played with subs, so I was thinking once I get my subs built, the difference in the 904 and the 396 will be negligible and it would be nicer having the smaller speaker. I heard the 904 goes for $1500/each brand new, which i would be willing to pay. 

If the price and shipping is good, I would want to order a pair of 904 from a dealer after I find out what the KPT-396 goes for. 

I was also looking at the JTR 212ht, but seems a little too expensive compared to klipsch pro, so i cant justify the price unless they are definitively better. 

27 minutes ago, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

Interesting, I didn't know the KPT 396 existed.   Highly doubt it would be much cheaper than the ki 396 II, but you never know until you ask I suppose.  Man, if I had the xilica at the time I had the 396s, I may never have gotten rid of them.   They really need eq boost in the high frequencies at lower volumes and the grilles off.   

Earlier version.

58 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The 904 beats up that 396. Not even in the same league though both are pro. That 904 bass bin is the entry level to great pro Klipsch and then there are various horns that go on top.

I agree. Twin 15's is better than One 21. Two motors in tandem, the only thing better is a Quad of 15's, or a BIG Horn!!!

15 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I agree. Twin 15's is better than One 21. Two motors in tandem, the only thing better is a Quad of 15's, or a BIG Horn!!!

Hi Claude, There is a reason that same basic bass bin has been around for 30 years.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 2:36 PM, Emile said:

Sorry; no clue ... had never even heard of these ... seems to be a great speaker ... specs: https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KPT-4350-MS-Data-Sheet-v01.pdf 

KPT-4350-MS

This could be something to consider. The specs and sound are very impressive. Cory would know the details on availability, price.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Hi Claude, There is a reason that same basic bass bin has been around for 30 years.

Much of the work derived from Don "DB" Keele while he was still working for Electro Voice. I should call him. It's been several years..........

47 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The difference between the two is not trivial. 904 wins in a big way.

Your kidding?  A cabinet with two 15"s instead of one and much larger internal volume wins?   Who'dathunkit?  And the smallest HF horn is the 510. I woild say..... Yeah I woild think so.   

1 minute ago, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

Your kidding?  A cabinet with two 15"s instead of one and much larger internal volume wins?   Who'dathunkit?  And the smallest HF horn is the 510. I woild say..... Yeah I woild think so.   

Actually a correctly built cabinet with one 15" woofer will beat these things silly and go  down below 30hz full output doing it.

• Like 1

I sent a message to Paducah Home Theater, inquiring about the kpt-904 and 396. I'll let you know if they get back to me.

I have also done extensive forum reading about the JBL 4722 and the JTR 212HT. I've also looked hard at the yourville U215, but seems like it will be an inferior product than the rest. 

What are your guys's take on those speakers compared to the kpt-904? it seems like the kpt-904 looks is very hard to beat, especially for the price. 

Any information is appreciated, you guys are helping me out a ton!

It seems like theres a strong chance of me getting a pair of the 396s. They are very capable, easier to handle, cheaper and easier to set up. Paired with sum beefy subwoofers, I am sure I will be very happy. 

What sort of subwoofers do you guys recommend? I am looking hard at building a couple GSG Devastators, but also looking at PSA dual 18s and JTR dual 18 subs. 

• Like 2