KPT-904 vs KPT-396

Simon830

On 3/12/2020 at 9:30 AM, billybob said:

Dolly handy for sure. Had to wrestle with some by self without.

Amazing really what can be done without assistance... Cool

Klipsch determination.

When I was 18 I had a summer job right after high school working as a Porter for Sears. We worked very early in the morning and were done by store opening time. My supervisor taught me how to use a Magliner dolly to haul all the cardboard and paper garbage out of the huge Compactor after the steel straps bound it all up.  The average weight was 500-600 lbs, which one 175 lb. guy, at that time,  could move by himself. While I learned how to BALANCE that big load, I also learned about INERTIA, once that thing was rolling on a light incline it was pretty hard to stop if you were not wearing rubber soles attached to very strong legs. BRAKING is hard to do, not just breaking up! LOL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Randyh said:

the KPT 904 at 3700$ per pair  , does that include the horn and HF

Yes, brand new with everything. I do not know if thats with the crossover network or not. I am assuming it is. 

Edited by Simon830

1 minute ago, Simon830 said:

Yes, brand new with everything. I do not know if thats with the crossover network or not. I am assuming it is. 

Getting a tapped horn built will be cheaper and better than a bass reflex, since you are crossing below 40-60 Hz. I presume. It all depends on how low you want to go and how sensitive you want your subs. Mine are 97db, flat to 23 Hz. and 100, flat to 30 Hz, respectively (Danley TH-50 and OThorn). You can plug the OThorn directly into a wall socket, IF you have good 30 Amp Breakers. Since the driver can handle 4,000 watts of power, You wall socket will provide 3,600 watts @ 60 Hz. and about 140 db sound pressure in any room before the breaker trips. If you do this, let me suggest that you will never be able to reproduce you bloodline after that experience!!

On 3/12/2020 at 8:04 AM, Dave A said:

Well I have a great big horn but you will never get me to say something like those 904's are bad. The 904's good and a set of KP-450's is what really started me down the pro gear path.

I had a cherry pair of KP-450s. In comparison to my Klipsch TSCMs to say the KP-450 Bass and clarity were lacking by comparison is a MAJOR understatement !!

Roger

On 4/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, Simon830 said:

So I ended up getting a pair of KI-396s from Paducah Home Theater, and I could not be happier! I believe I made an excellent choice. They have incredibly high fidelity an are crystal clear no matter how high you crank them. Whats also great is they are an all in one speaker with metal grills, so I dont have an exposed external horn and woofers that the cat and tear up, and I can just plug them straight into my av receiver. 

They do need a subwoofer to reach their full potential though. I want a good movie subwoofer that can keep up with these things. Im currently looking at the JTR Captivator 4000ULF-TL, PSA V36 IPAL, or maybe even build myself a GSG Devastator with a Speakerpower rack amp. 

IF you guys have any thoughts on these subwoofers, please let me know! OR, if you have another big subwoofer I should defiantly take a look at, please let me know! I plan on getting 2 subwoofers later on, but im just going to start with one for now. Thanks guys!

unnamed.jpg

Corey has the last two KPT-1502 subs in existence in stock. No, they wont do 10 Hz, but you can't hear 10 Hz. What those KPT-1502s will do is play the cleanest Low Bass guitar you will ever hear...  :D

I ended up buying the PSA V3612. In my opinion, the price is impossible to beat, especially with free shipping. Those 18 inch drivers are highly sensitive pro neo drivers from B&C, and you get a nice ICEpower amp to go with them. It will be FAR more than enough bass for the cabin I live in. I will get another one in the future if I move to a bigger place. 

Thank you everybody for your wonderful input! I will post pictures when the subwoofer gets here. 

• Like 2

I actually just recently upgraded my PSA order to the V36 IPAL. Those IPALs are the best 18 inch drivers you can get anywhere, so I am sure I will be happy. It will take 3 weeks to ship due to all the back orders. I will post pictures once it gets here. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 8:30 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I had a cherry pair of KP-450s. In comparison to my Klipsch TSCMs to say the KP-450 Bass and clarity were lacking by comparison is a MAJOR understatement !!

Roger

Roger    -------based on your ownership of these 2 speakers ------- KP-450  and TSCM ----which of the 2 has more bass ----

42 minutes ago, 000 said:

Roger    -------based on your ownership of these 2 speakers ------- KP-450  and TSCM ----which of the 2 has more bass ----

TSCM by a lonng ways !!

Realize that in a horn, the same diameter driver only needs 1 /10th the excursion to produce the same amount of Bass Output !!

Therefore, a single Bass Driver would have more output at 1/2 the excursion than four of the same drivers at full excursion

For me, I was truly disappointed in the KP-450s Bass, nor was that single K-60 driver up to playing with the four K-55s and twin K-77 in the Top Hat of my TSCMs. The K-450 did not sound as clean either ...  :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

TSCM by a lonng ways !!

Realize that in a horn, the same diameter driver only needs 1 /10th the excursion to produce the same amount of Bass Output !!

Therefore, a single Bass Driver would have more output at 1/2 the excursion than four of the same drivers at full excursion

For me, I was truly disappointed in the KP-450s Bass, nor was that single K-60 driver up to playing with the four K-55s and twin K-77 in the Top Hat of my TSCMs. The K-450 did not sound as clean either ...  :D

OK what is a TSCM? Only reference I found was for an "industrial" KHorn.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK what is a TSCM? Only reference I found was for an "industrial" KHorn.

Dave,

TSCM stands for Theatre Stage Corner Monitor. They are a Klipsch Pro Klipschorn that were only sold to Movie Theatres through John Allen and I own Seven of them. The  Bass Horn is completely finished so they don't have to be up in a  Corner or against a wall. The Top Hat is separate, just  like a Pro Split LaScala. The TSCM has a K-400 horn, but this K-400 horn has a 2 inch throat instead of a 5/8 inch throat like a standard Klipschorn. The K-400 horn in a TSCM has a K-4 splitter and mounts four K-55 drivers instead of only one like Klipschorn because these were made to be placed behind the screen before screens were acoustically transparent. The tweeter lens on a TSCM mounts two K-77 driver units. Go to the Pro Audio section on page 11 and look for a thread entitled "Feeding the TSCM feaver"

post-22082-13819454649638.jpg

post-10755-13819455773612.jpg

• Like 1