KPT-904 vs KPT-396

Simon830

13 hours ago, Dave A said:

I wonder how the K-400 horn would do if I cut it off and made a 2" throat out of it. Wouldn't be hard to weld a mounting flange to it.

part of getting a horn to work flawlessly is to match the exit angle of the driver to the entrance angle of the horn to reduce reflections from the horn throat back into the driver diaphragm. The greatest reflections in most horns are from the mouth back to the driver diaphragm.

22 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Dave,

I for one would sell your 400's and buy a brand new K-402 setup before doing all of that...  :D

Roger

Well the 400 experiment would be free since I have the horns and welder. The 402's while vastly superior are also vastly more expensive. Just Idle curiosity though as I would sell these before I put a chop on them.

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

I think he should machine a 402 out of billet something or another....brass would look stunning... aluminum could look nice...yep,

C'mon Dave....  show us your chops!!

My time is for hire and I think solid copper would be best for you. Bring your car load of money and we can get started;D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

Well the 400 experiment would be free since I have the horns and welder. The 402's while vastly superior are also vastly more expensive. Just Idle curiosity though as I would sell these before I put a chop on them.

My time is for hire and I think solid copper would be best for you. Bring your car load of money and we can get started;D

if you are not concerned to donate a pair of K400 to the experimental cause then why not? Measure the exit opening of you driver and match up to that. You can do this in a couple of ways, you can machine a mounting plate with a parallel sided opening that exactly mates to the drive exit opening, keeping the mounting plate thin the parallel section will neither add nor subtract in and of itself but the thicker the plat the more chance for reflections working back into the driver diaphragm. The second and better way would be to match the opening between the driver exit and the driver side of the mounting plate and then machine the opening through the mounting plate so that it matches the throat entrance angle of the horn. Pick a driver that you like if you are going to make this kind of effort and you should be well rewarded.

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

Well the 400 experiment would be free since I have the horns and welder

Roger can send you one of his 2 inch -k400 , for a perfect matchup --😂

9 hours ago, moray james said:

if you are not concerned to donate a pair of K400 to the experimental cause then why not? Measure the exit opening of you driver and match up to that. You can do this in a couple of ways, you can machine a mounting plate with a parallel sided opening that exactly mates to the drive exit opening, keeping the mounting plate thin the parallel section will neither add nor subtract in and of itself but the thicker the plat the more chance for reflections working back into the driver diaphragm. The second and better way would be to match the opening between the driver exit and the driver side of the mounting plate and then machine the opening through the mounting plate so that it matches the throat entrance angle of the horn. Pick a driver that you like if you are going to make this kind of effort and you should be well rewarded.

You really think the old exponential horn is worth fooling with when there are cheaper more modern design horns around? That EBay seller of 510 knockoffs has that yummy 10 x 18 horn that has been a winner here for less than $50.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

You really think the old exponential horn is worth fooling with when there are cheaper more modern design horns around? That EBay seller of 510 knockoffs has that yummy 10 x 18 horn that has been a winner here for less than $50.

I guess I am mistaken didn't you want to use your K400 or was that another poster? No matter let the experiments begin.

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

For free right? Did you ask him about that?

no -but , I was just thinking of your remark /make a 2 inch throat on a k400 by welding a mounting  flange  - and no need to change the cab's  frontal cosmetics - this could mean that you could make mounting flanges of various sizes , all the way up to 2 inches -

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, Dave A said:

I wonder how the K-400 horn would do if I cut it off and made a 2" throat out of it. Wouldn't be hard to weld a mounting flange to it.

The late DJK did that very thing. There was a post a long time ago about Mr. Paul saying the k-400 didn't actually need to be as long as he designed it, too.

Bruce