WTB: Klipschorn Pair

What's a DAC

I am moving up in the Klipsch universe, hopefully. I have a pair of Forte ll's that I have been experimenting with for a couple years. Just replaced the tweeters with Bob's titanium version and am on a waiting list with Al to snag a pair of crossovers. They sound pretty darn good now so hopefully it will only get better. 

I had a friend, many moons ago that introduced me to KHorns. He had a pair in his living room and drove them with a Marshall tube amp of about 25-30 watts. They blew me away along with their cat, dog and parakeet. 

I just recently picked up a gently used Emotiva amp that sounds impressive for the money. 

I am now on a quest to procure a pair of these Klipsch beauties. 

From a newbie standpoint (well kinda) what would be considered the best year to look for? I am not really sold on any particular finish, except I prefer wood as opposed to black. 

I also am not interested in taking out a mortgage to buy them, so no new models are in my foreseeable future. 

I live in Arizona and would consider driving to several attached states to get them (California-Southern parts, Utah, New Mexico, West Texas) are all within a days drive. 

Thank you for reading and helping.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, What's a DAC said:

on a waiting list with Al to snag a pair of crossovers.

If your Fortes sound good to you now, I would bail out on the ALKs and use that money for the Khorns.  The Fortes will be playing second fiddle after you get the Khorns in the door.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

If your Fortes sound good to you now, I would bail out on the ALKs and use that money for the Khorns.  The Fortes will be playing second fiddle after you get the Khorns in the door.....

I do love the Forte sound but I will keep them and use in a second room. 

2 hours ago, What's a DAC said:

based on opinion, are these worth the asking price?

Is the year model a desirable pair, or are there better models with updated drivers, etc that would be in the same price range?

Thanks,

DAC

these are worth the asking price everyday of the week.

1 owner

in your state

stunning walnut veneer

78's with laser logo's

ALK crossovers

4 hours ago, What's a DAC said:

based on opinion, are these worth the asking price?

Is the year model a desirable pair, or are there better models with updated drivers, etc that would be in the same price range?

Thanks,

DAC

Yes, upgrades that takes these great looking speakers to the next level and you could always swap out the upgraded crossovers with the originals to compare the sound.You could then sell the extra parts to lower your cost.I had a pair of 1981 vintage walnut Klipschorns thst were all original with Klipsch manuals,letters from Klipsch and original sales invoice and I sold mine for 4000.00 and the only reason I sold them was to buy a pair of Klipschorns with AK-4 crossovers and ribbon mahogany.

17 hours ago, What's a DAC said:

Thanks guys (and if there are any gals in here too) 

I sent him a communication with an offer. We shall see what transpires.

Doesn't look good at this point. Tim sent me an email. He is working with a buyer out of Denver. If that doesn't evolve he said he would let me know.