WTB: Klipschorn Pair

What's a DAC

4 hours ago, What's a DAC said:

Resized_20200313_124602.jpeg

Congratulations!  They look great. However, did you get life-size versions?  Those look a litle on the small-side for Klipschorns!  😁

P.S. I've heard some say late 70's through early '80's (can't remember exact years) are the best because those models came with AlNiCo magnets.  As an owner of 1978 walnut oiled Klipschorns myself, I can tell you the sound can be incredible if everything else is right.

8 hours ago, JMON said:

Congratulations!  They look great. However, did you get life-size versions?  Those look a litle on the small-side for Klipschorns!  😁

P.S. I've heard some say late 70's through early '80's (can't remember exact years) are the best because those models came with AlNiCo magnets.  As an owner of 1978 walnut oiled Klipschorns myself, I can tell you the sound can be incredible if everything else is right.

They may have been on a diet, I am not sure. They seem to weigh a crap load though. Once disassembled for wrapping and transport at least they were manageable. 

Many thanks to the owner for keeping these in pristine condition for 42 years. I was duly impressed. 

I have the original crossover networks, bill of sale, all paperwork and what looks like a polaroid of each when they were first purchased. 

Tim included the high gauge wiring, the speaker is bi-wired which I believe also means it's bi-amp capable. Something else to explore down the road. 

These were pushed with a very nice Jolida tube amp. We had a nice discussion on the merits of tubes vs solid state. 

I am going to drive these with my new to me Emotiva Monster 2 ch. amp. 

Let the fun begin!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 10:37 PM, What's a DAC said:

I am moving up in the Klipsch universe, hopefully. I have a pair of Forte ll's that I have been experimenting with for a couple years. Just replaced the tweeters with Bob's titanium version and am on a waiting list with Al to snag a pair of crossovers. They sound pretty darn good now so hopefully it will only get better. 

I had a friend, many moons ago that introduced me to KHorns. He had a pair in his living room and drove them with a Marshall tube amp of about 25-30 watts. They blew me away along with their cat, dog and parakeet. 

I just recently picked up a gently used Emotiva amp that sounds impressive for the money. 

I am now on a quest to procure a pair of these Klipsch beauties. 

From a newbie standpoint (well kinda) what would be considered the best year to look for? I am not really sold on any particular finish, except I prefer wood as opposed to black. 

I also am not interested in taking out a mortgage to buy them, so no new models are in my foreseeable future. 

I live in Arizona and would consider driving to several attached states to get them (California-Southern parts, Utah, New Mexico, West Texas) are all within a days drive. 

Thank you for reading and helping.