Can’t sleep

mr clean

I really have sympathy for those with insomnia.  I get it periodically and it is pretty emotionally hard to deal with. I understand why some say to stop trying to go to sleep and just do something, because it sure is upsetting laying there trying to sleep and just getting more and more upset when you can’t. 

Few weeks ago, went to bed at 11:30 and the last time that i remember looking at the clock it was 2:58.  I was going nuts. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

That would drive me crazy, but I very rarely have that problem, on the rare ocasion it is when I have something exciting to do the next day and I can't stop thinking about it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, boricua2480 said:

Dude, I've had insomnia for around 6 years now. I sleep an average of 2-4 hours a night. All RX's and OTC supplements have failed to help.. I'm a walking, talking zombie. Its absolutely miserable. Thats all I can say about it. 

Have you tried  Chamomile tea?

Milk? Thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Have you tried  Chamomile tea?

Milk? Thanks

I'll put it this way, once insomnia really takes hold and you're beyond desperate to sleep, you try literally every RX, OTC med, and supplement you can take. Then when that doesn't help, you resort to trying things that you know won't work, but you try anyway, like tea's, not using the phone after bedtime, meditation, sleep apps, etc. When all that fails, you just accept that this is how it is, because by this point, you've spent thousands to try to fix it but have no positive results to show for it.

The messed up thing is the only thing that seems to work is Oxycodone. After my last 2 surgeries I slept great afterward until the pills ran out, so I had a definitive timeline where I know something worked. Obviously I can't be taking this every day to sleep though, so that sucks. I have no clue what else I could do at this point. 

• Sad 1

On 3/9/2020 at 5:06 AM, mr clean said:

It’s 4 in the morning and I’m wide awake. How do you get to sleep when your staring at the ceiling? The older I get the more I struggle with it!

are you sleeping better now -  it's been 6 months -

6 hours ago, mungkiman said:

Indica gummies.

Love them but doesn't work for me for this specific issue, they do get used however lol

6 hours ago, Max2 said:

Being physically exhausted does wonders for insomnia.

From what I understand, mine is an extreme form since physical and mental exhaustion have no bearing on keeping me asleep. Not to mention I quit my corporate job so ALLLL that nonsense stress is gone and no change in sleep pattern. Its a real head scratcher...also worth noting I'm in good shape, otherwise good health insomnia omitted, no kids, no problems, no drama, no real money issues, no student loans, enough audio gear to choke a donkey, so theres not much else left to cross off the list at this point. Aside from insomnia life is good. Makes no sense. 

6 hours ago, boricua2480 said:

The messed up thing is the only thing that seems to work is Oxycodone. After my last 2 surgeries I slept great afterward until the pills ran out, so I had a definitive timeline where I know something worked. Obviously I can't be taking this every day to sleep though, so that sucks. I have no clue what else I could do at this point. 

Did insomnia significantly predate the narcotics?

6 minutes ago, boricua2480 said:

From what I understand, mine is an extreme form since physical and mental exhaustion have no bearing on keeping me asleep. Not to mention I quit my corporate job so ALLLL that nonsense stress is gone and no change in sleep pattern. Its a real head scratcher...also worth noting I'm in good shape, otherwise good health insomnia omitted, no kids, no problems, no drama, no real money issues, no student loans, enough audio gear to choke a donkey, so theres not much else left to cross off the list at this point. Aside from insomnia life is good. Makes no sense. 

Do you induce adrenaline on any regular basis?

11 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

A few years ago, one of the guys who played BBall with us talked about how he'd only get 2-4 hours per night and didn't really feel shorted.  

I wish I could function on this amount of sleep. I forget everything and am on autopilot. Always exhausted is a bad way to be. I know some people who do function with such little sleep, but I'm not one of those people. I make it work as best I can though. 

13 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

A few years ago, one of the guys who played BBall with us talked about how he'd only get 2-4 hours per night and didn't really feel shorted.  

His Heart likely does and now they are starting to link Alzheimers and Dementia from lack of quality rest.