Can’t sleep

mr clean

• 6 months later...

I'm up at 4a, can't sleep, went to bed at 1a.  This is unusual for me.  I'm usually very comfortable in bed, but for now I keep tossing and turning.  I feel very uncomfortable.

I had my Johnson & Johnson Covid shot at 10:30 this morning.  I didn't have any reactions to it that I know of, the stick didn't hurt and I had a sore shoulder for about an hour.  That has long passed.  You don't think it's the shot, do you?

I got up because "the book" says if you can't fall asleep after an hour, get up and do something until you're tired, then back to bed.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm up at 4a, can't sleep, went to bed at 1a.  This is unusual for me.  I'm usually very comfortable in bed, but for now I keep tossing and turning.  I feel very uncomfortable.

I had my Johnson & Johnson Covid shot at 10:30 this morning.  I didn't have any reactions to it that I know of, the stick didn't hurt and I had a sore shoulder for about an hour.  That has long passed.  You don't think it's the shot, do you?

I got up because "the book" says if you can't fall asleep after an hour, get up and do something until you're tired, then back to bed.

4:30 am for me its 5:30 now! Best of luck with the shot. Only thing I can say is not for me I have a very low trust level of big Pharma and government and together they make/share billions perhaps trillions of profit at our loss.

• Like 1

Could be a combination of issues/solutions.  I agree with @veloceleste about training though.

1) Working life with a routine alarms clock wake up is difficult to change.

2) Side affects of medications.  Some meds release over time or are mild stimulants.

2) Bringing home work stress.  Easy to say, tough to do => "Leave work at work".

3) Life stresses - there are many, most unavoidable.

4) Past it's prime mattress/box spring.

5) External light/noises.  Hard to eliminate if you have to work 2nd or 3rd shifts.

- Try going to bed later.

- Try something that physically wears you out - for me it is swimming.

- Steer clear of drugs/sleepers/and OTC remedies.

- Agree with Pistachios.  Something to put the brain back in park at night.

They say as you get older you need less sleep.  Maybe maybe-not.

6 hours ago, moray james said:

Best of luck with the shot. Only thing I can say is not for me I have a very low trust level of big Pharma and government

Thanks Moray but I have to say my interest in getting the shot is purely self-preservation.  I don't care about Big Pharm or Big Gov.  I care about me.

I live in West Virginia where due to our general isolation we didn't get hit with the Covid19 like big cities and big states did.  I took the Covid19 with a very cavalier attitude.  That is, until a good buddy of mine got it.  It hit him hard and after 10 days in a coma in ICU with only a machine to breathe for him, it got real to me, real fast.  My buddy who is 78 and strong as a horse damn near died. 

Just as they were about to pull the plug on him he made a miraculous recovery.  His wife, kids and grand kids were discussing who was going to say good-by to him in what order.  He was that close to death.

I'm 65 and I have every risk factor in the book.  I want to make it to 66.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You don't think it's the shot, do you?

100% -----I had the Pfizer shot , same thing - the vaccine wants to mess with your sleep , just  dont let it ,  sleep early and if you wake up .stay in bed -till it passes

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I had the Pfizer shot , same thing - the vaccine wants to mess with your sleep

I had not heard that.  As I said I've tended to ignore all the Covid stuff, I find the death statistics every day depressing. Thanks for the info.

I play racquetball 2x and pickleball 3x per week, about ten hours of exercise.  Yes, I know picklball is not exercising but it does get me off the couch so I'm not lying around the house eating bon-bons.

I did a face plant playing pickleball on Friday.  Stepped on my own foot and went down head first without being to catch myself with my hands.  I hurt both knees, both elbows, my head and I thought I broke my thumb.  It knocked me out for a few seconds.  It thought maybe the sleeplessness was due to sore muscles from that.

Whichever, I hurt pretty good all over today but I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow.  I've got pickleball Monday morning.

15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

100% -----I had the Pfizer shot , same thing - the vaccine wants to mess with your sleep , just  dont let it ,  sleep early and if you wake up .stay in bed -till it passes

Had the opposite effect upon me. Was vaccinated 8:00 on a Saturday morning, by 2:00 in the afternoon I was out like a light. Slept the majority of Saturday and Sunday, then was OK on Monday.

• Like 2

There was a line in “The Punisher” series I revisited lately that resonated in me. When Frank is hiding out in David Lieberman’s lair.

”It’s not the pain, it’s never the pain, instead, it’s the routine that breaks a human being.”

Ironically true in these “unique” times.

...or is it irony?

• 3 months later...

I’ve recently started waking up anywhere from 1:30 AM to 4:30 AM. Everyone else is sleeping. I get up and play hide and seek with our tuxedo cat, in the pitch black. She loves to run past me and scare the heck out of me. Then, I’ll watch the sunrise over the ocean/San Juan island. I try not to read, it just gets , my brain going. I’ll rest on the couch, eyes closed and try to put my brain into neutral. Hopefully this ends soon.

4 hours ago, MirkosMangle said:

...Two months ago and was diagnosed with MS and started to take my meds (tecfidera). Not sure if insomnia comes as a side effect to the pills or its one of the symptoms of MS...

Looks like it's a side effect of the disease itself:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/ms-and-insomnia-2440627

Chris

• 1 year later...