New $49 aftermarket K-510 Horn - Anyone Try yet?

SkyDover

Just seeing that ZXPC on ebay that carries many different horns is now carrying the Klipsch aftermarket replacement K-510 horn for only $49.99.  It looks just like it, design and quality wise.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet to confirm what quality build is like?   Looks like the few who have requested him to carry the K-510 horn has finally gotten their wish now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Horn-KLIPSCH-for-K510-Speaker-Cabinet-15-x-9-Bolt-On-2-90-x-60/333537431240?hash=item4da8614ec8:g:8pYAAOSwQNNeYpIy

• Like 2

The mumps version of the K-510 has a little waist-banding below 2000 Hz in the horizontal axis, so this new ZXPC horn (which looks like an old mumps-less K-510 knockoff) will have more issues in that regard:

K-510/K-69-A horizontal polars:

K-510 with K-69-A horizontal polar sonogram.jpg

and vertical polars:

K-510 with K-69-A vertical polar sonogram.jpg

Chris

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Looks can be deceiving of course.

Others may say more. Not your but the sellers  concern could be patent issue.. in my limited opinion.

IAC ... good fortune.

20 years and that is up just like it is for the 402. Now with mumps Klipsch is protected even though other companies have done the same basic thing before. I wonder if these new ones are as seriously brittle as the OEM 510's are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

The mumps version of the K-510 has a little waist-banding below 2000 Hz in the horizontal axis, so this new ZXPC horn (which looks like an old mumps-less K-510 knockoff) will have more issues in that regard:

Chris

What those horns will not have is the drivers with Roy's new phase plugs to put in them. That new tractix phase plug really changes things and Klipsch has many years left on that one.

17 minutes ago, Dave A said:

What those horns will not have is the drivers with Roy's new phase plugs to put in them.

You're talking about the K-691 driver?  Or perhaps the 1132?

Chris

10 hours ago, SkyDover said:

Just seeing that ZXPC on ebay that carries many different horns is now carrying the Klipsch aftermarket replacement K-510 horn for only $49.99.  It looks just like it, design and quality wise.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet to confirm what quality build is like?   Looks like the few who have requested him to carry the K-510 horn has finally gotten their wish now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Horn-KLIPSCH-for-K510-Speaker-Cabinet-15-x-9-Bolt-On-2-90-x-60/333537431240?hash=item4da8614ec8:g:8pYAAOSwQNNeYpIy

In actuality, it ISN'T a K-510, and there is no K510 speaker cabinet.

I

It is hard to tell from the photos, but I am not sure that is even a clone of the original (mumpless) K-50 horn. If you look closely, it lacks some of the details of the modified tractrix horn that Roy developed. Now, the question is "how close" and "does it matter". I can't answer that.

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

Khorn is starting to get into the soup at 325Hz this is why the Jub came into existence so that Paul could have his two way. The Khorn would require such a large horn to make it work as not to be practical. LaScala pushes just barley to 400Hz but a definite improvement.

Below is a tweaked version of the E.G. Beck California Horn which is better than any Paul designed more bandwidth in both directions. I have also included the original California dimensions and the response. Given its modest size for its response range his is the King of the heap I have never found a better horn nor its equal.

Modified California Bass Horn.gif

California Response.jpg

Ernst Beck California horn.gif

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

This is interesting, but it does not go deep enough for a K Horn if I remember correctly. 

Anyone? 

I've done it using a DSP crossover.  But Moray is right: the Khorn bass bin likes to be crossed below 400 Hz when you look at its phase response, but it is easily pushed to 500-550 Hz to join up with AMT-1s using DSP.  They sound much better than the Khorn clones (Shinalls) in my small computer room: 13.5'x11.5'x8'. 

The K-510 horn itself is good to about 500 Hz before rapidly losing directivity (posted above in the polar directivity sonograms that I measured a couple of years ago). 

If however you're trying to do the same thing using passive crossovers or even analog actives--good luck...

Chris

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

You're talking about the K-691 driver?  Or perhaps the 1132?

Chris

Both. The 1132 was I think the first one to have this and you will hear a set in Hope soon. If I remember right they are in other drivers now too and I think that includes the 691. Perhaps Roy will chime in here.

21 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Received 2 pairs of these today they are identical in every way to the originals I have on hand can't beat the price. 

20200311_165140 (640x480).jpg

20200311_165111 (640x480).jpg

Sounds like they are the same as the 510?

Could they be NOS leftover from a previous supplier kind of like the KL series horn tweeters that are on Parts Express???