New $49 aftermarket K-510 Horn - Anyone Try yet?

SkyDover

" .......

I think that the local horn expansion irregularity at about 2/3 of the distance to the mouth is more than likely an artifact of how the horn expansion was laid out

......."

I think we need to agree to disagree on this point. For various reasons (some of which I have mentioned before), I stand by my comments listed previously.

At the end of the day, I hope the OP is happy with his newly discovered horns. The price is very attractive. I hope his project works out well and I hope he shares the progress of his system. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

The other 18" ZXPC horn that has been used by others here turns out to have slightly better polars than the K-510 with mumps, but then of course that other ZXPC horn has an additional 3" of mouth width, and is similarly taller and deeper, too.  It has a truncated tractrix mouth rollout instead of full 90 degree tangent tractrix mouth. 

Horizontal polars with K-69-A 2" compression driver:

1253849063_NewHornK-69-Ahorizontalpolarsonogram.thumb.jpg.a94957b08b14e24006f60c32b41110a0.jpg

Vertical polars with K-69-A 2" compression driver:

98462672_NewHornK-69-Averticalpolarsonogram.thumb.jpg.2d0fbc927c2b5bfbd2c7ec095e44859c.jpg

231420420855-2.png

231420420855-3.png

I'll be getting a pair of these new ZXPC horns (the K-510 knockoffs) next week, and intend to measure their polar performance.  Then there is a lot less guessing.

Chris

• Like 1

I think the negativity is wrong.  Just measure the horns (acoustically) and listen to them.  It's not difficult.  All the ghosting of the performance of the ZXPC horns is completely unwarranted, especially if you compared these horns to, say, a K-400/401 series horn performance.  There is a difference there...that no one seems to be talking about here.  I think that should be kept in mind: better is better.  And getting that performance at a lower price is the job of the consumer--apparently not the providers...

No patent issues here: I've already posted on that subject on page 2:

Besides, the patents would have run out by now.  It's been more than 20 years since these hit the market.  Only mumps is patented.

Minus the horn and bracket, but they are extremely overpriced for a driver and mounting bracket. Much better to buy the copy, and then choose your own driver IMO.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I think we need to agree to disagree on this point. For various reasons (some of which I have mentioned before), I stand by my comments listed previously.

At the end of the day, I hope the OP is happy with his newly discovered horns. The price is very attractive. I hope his project works out well and I hope he shares the progress of his system. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

You can agree to disagree and feel good about it but it does not change the fact that these new zxpc "copies" are an exact replica of the Klipsch horns I have on hand and have compared them to, took multiple pictures of and posted here for all to see. Now if your argument is that Klipsch made a bad copy or version of the k-510 that zxpc just happened to make a perfect / near perfect copy of that is a different story and I'd let the more educated hash that out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Chris, just to be clear, those polars shown a few posts up - are those for the 18x10 inch horn or the for the  15 x 9 inch "510 clone"?

This isn't difficult.  I said that my two K-510 clone horns are coming in this week.  When I get them, I'll post the polars. 

So we have the 18"x10" ZXPC horn and the mumps-version K-510 (third generation) polar sonograms posted here.  We also have a couple more (Beyma CP25 and Dave's K-77 aluminum replacement tweeter horn and driver) all having polar sonograms posted.  Google is your friend...

Chris

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Randyh said:

so , you would have   to cut the bottom lip of the tweeter in order to make it all fit -

I did not cut or move the tweeter at all simply laid the new mid horn surface mount over the flush mounted tweeter. I plan on updating my Chorus II project thread soon with more pictures and details as to why I went that route.

• Like 1

I have 4 of the horns, sitting in my garage that I will not be using, I did notice one problem on the ones I got tbough...the holes for the drivers do not match my EV DH1As.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Randyh said:

it would be sad to cut up a Chorus 2 , but a Chorus 1  , most definitely ---now I always wondered if the mumps horns , although smaller made a difference in the Chorus 2 -  probably not enough of a change ----so bigger is better ?

The larger the horn the bigger the presentation of sound, larger voices etc. Comparing my custom 362's with the CF-4 horn A55-g combo to a set of stock Chorus 1's was like comparing a Cornwall to a La Scala, pretty significant difference. 

I was very hesitant to cut into these Chorus II's for sure but after careful consideration deemed it appropriate for my situation. For one, I plan on these being part of my forever speaker collection so resale has no impact. Two, just to buy all of the parts needed to build these speakers would likely cost as much as I could sell these complete for or very close but then I'd have to go through the trouble of collecting all the parts and building my own cabinets and making them look nice which would be a lot of work and take a lot of time which I'm short on these days.

• Like 2