New $49 aftermarket K-510 Horn - Anyone Try yet?

SkyDover

of course ZXPC ended with a batter product , since they must have seen the original's flaws , and by using more modern  2019-2020 software , they corrected the errors ,  plus in order to import legally the product in the  USA  , they  have  to make the product a bit different or they can be considered a knockoff of the original which means USA Customs would  not sieze and destroy the product -

you see , patent law is 1 thing , but even when patents expire - the Government of the USA-Customs can sieze any product that is an exact knockoff of an original -   by making the product different than the original and the patent is expired , Customs USA cannot sieze - destroy the product as it is not a knockoff
US Customs only seizes models that the Patent Holder still pays to protect, and when a Patent expires or they stop paying the Government for the protection... it is no longer protected.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

hang on to them , the klipsch horns are very fragile -------never hurts to have spares

I now have k402s. These were originally going to be for my surrounds, but I now have RP160Ms for the surrounds. The 18x10 ZXPC clones are def very strong as they are made about a 1/4" thick plastic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Randyh said:

you see , patent law is 1 thing , but even when patents expire - the Government of the USA-Customs can sieze any product that is an exact knockoff of an original -   by making the product different than the original and the patent is expired , Customs USA cannot sieze - destroy the product as it is not a knockoff

Could you point me to a US Gov't link on the laws governing this?

So if someone is wanting to change out their existing Klipsch loudspeakers to get better polar directivity consistency (vertical and horizontal) and perhaps other acoustic parameters, these ZXPC horns are excellent choices from a combined performance/cost standpoint. 

These people still need to do more work:

1) to measure the combined SPL/phase response and time/impulse alignment of the new horns/drivers in their older Klipsch loudspeakers to correct for the changes.  I would say that REW and a UMIK-1 at a minimum will be required, and

2) something to replace the older crossover networks that can do the required time alignment and EQ to achieve truly better performance.

Trying to reuse older passive networks--without changing the networks based on in-room acoustic measurements and analysis of circuit changes required , with verification that they work as planned--is a not something that works very well in my experience.  DSP crossovers are a cinch to accomplish this task, but modifying passive crossovers is much more difficult task to accomplish, even ignoring the time alignment issues (which passive crossover networks really can't help you accomplish).

Chris

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Randyh said:

I purchased a part from China lately  now the electronics board was an HP original which cannot be copied yet , and it was 100% original   ---------however the plastic bracket that was holding the board was copied  --------they destroyed it  , the seller could sell the board , without the bracket , no problem , but you add the bracket ---------the entire product was deemed a knockoff and destroyed ----

This has to be a patent or copyright issue on your little bracket in this application. 

Chris

• Like 1

I purchased a part from China lately  now the electronics board was an HP original which cannot be copied yet , and it was 100% original   ---------however the plastic bracket that was holding the board was copied  --------they destroyed it  , the seller could sell the board , without the bracket , no problem , but you add the bracket ---------the entire product was deemed a knockoff and destroyed ----

In the past if a person had a CPU cooling fan with UL markings on it, and was legit, but had a heat sink attached it was deemed counterfeit too, but his would only happen whe USC sent a pic of the product to the Patent/Trademark holder, and they confirmed it was counterfeit. This is done because it could end up in court. Now this also means that there was a Trademark and or Patent infringement that is registered with USC...if not it can not be seized. I have been purchasing China audio amp cases from China, and none get seized.. I am assuming it is because of 2 reasons... The dimensions are not the same, and the Patent/Trademark for this model is no longer valid. I no longer work daily doing this, but this is the way it was when I left in 2011.  Years ago you may recall seeing adverts in all the major newspapers in the USA by HP stating they were supporting Microsoft the best OS ever (at the time HP was a Linux supporter)...this was because they had been caught with millions of dollars of products with Microsoft's logo on them and had not paid the fees to Microsoft. Microsoft was registered with USC, and hence they were protected. HP reached out to Microsoft (I am assuming since all the shipments were released after the advertisements).

Now one more thing.there is also Grey Market protection which is when a legit product is sold out the back door. Your board could very well be legit, but a Grey Market product. I do not recall a product being seized for being a Grey Market product, but it is possible.

yes ------a reproduction plastic  cover with the HP logo  , but the network card was 100% original -a very old network card used for over 20 years , elcheepo from China -----10$ ----I get a letter from Customs -seized - destroyed -s-l225.jpg

you cannot copy the
I would ask them to send you a replacement and this time o ly the card. I have found a lot of the vendors will even mod the products very cheaply.

14 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I have posted several pictures of both the new zxpc horn right next to a factory Klipsch horn-- from what I can tell they are very much identical as I've stated before. 

I dont know if you're confused? Are you looking at my pictures and thinking they are all of the new horn? 

OK....maybe not quite as bad but I already have A-55G's for them so I'll need an adapter from 2" down to the A-55's.  No biggie.

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

yes ------a reproduction plastic  cover  , but the network card was 100% original -a very old network card used for over 20 years , elcheepo from China -----10$ ----I get a letter from Customs -seized - destroyed -HP JetDirect 600N J3111A EIO Ethernet/LocalTalk Internal Print Server Card

Is that one used in an HP plotter per chance?  Looks very similar to a couple we had for an older plotter used at the Fire Department and for Streets.

22 hours ago, Chris A said:

The other 18" ZXPC horn that has been used by others here turns out to have slightly better polars than the K-510 with mumps, but then of course that other ZXPC horn has an additional 3" of mouth width, and is similarly taller and deeper, too.  It has a truncated tractrix mouth rollout instead of full 90 degree tangent tractrix mouth. 

Horizontal polars with K-69-A 2" compression driver:

1253849063_NewHornK-69-Ahorizontalpolarsonogram.thumb.jpg.a94957b08b14e24006f60c32b41110a0.jpg

Vertical polars with K-69-A 2" compression driver:

98462672_NewHornK-69-Averticalpolarsonogram.thumb.jpg.2d0fbc927c2b5bfbd2c7ec095e44859c.jpg

231420420855-2.png

231420420855-3.png

I'll be getting a pair of these new ZXPC horns (the K-510 knockoffs) next week, and intend to measure their polar performance.  Then there is a lot less guessing.

Chris

Using a pair of these with B&C DE-1085's and they sound good. Those 1085's overwhelm a two woofer bass bin though and I am going to try these with the 415 bass bins I cant get 402's for. Great drivers for a two way system.

• Like 1