What is a good power amp for a McIntosh 6100.

wnabphil78@gmail

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Your MA6100 is an integrated amp with 70 watts per channel.  Do you plan on using it as a preamp only into another power amp?  What speakers are you driving by the way?

I plan on using it as an integrated amp for now unless I need more power, I have Klipsch RF7s series one now so I may not need the extra power 

• Like 1

Just so you know ---- integrated means that the pre amp and power amp are combined into one unit. When you say "power amp"  that's referring to a amplifier that requires some kind of preamp to send it a signal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Did you get the manual?

This should help...and 70 Mc

Watts per channel...nice!

https://antiqueradio.org/McIntoshMA6100IntegratedAmplifier.htm

If need more power add a Mc amp...

Wow that’s a great article thanks! I did not get the manual and the amp is coming tomorrow! It was missing the original wood box and glass was cracked, I purchased a new box and glass from audio classics I can’t wait to hear it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zack R said:

Just so you know ---- integrated means that the pre amp and power amp are combined into one unit. When you say "power amp"  that's referring to a amplifier that requires some kind of preamp to send it a signal.

Thanks! I guess I didn’t ask my question properly lol, I know this unit can be used as a pre amp as well juts was wondering what would be a good pair up for a power amp if I decided to boost the watts, make sense? 😂 

Think you could be happy. I read that article too. The manual is there and online elsewhere. If you got those sevens, while waiting, I could not stop myself from checking out that Luxman  R115

with them. Enjoy and let know please... thanks

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, billybob said:

Think you could be happy. I read that article too. The manual is there and online elsewhere. If you got those sevens, while waiting, I could not stop myself from checking out that Luxman  R115

with them. Enjoy and let know please... thanks

Ive been using my Luxman with the RF7s, It’s a super powerful amplifier I barely go over 2 and The house shakes, I’m wanting to get into the Mac world for a while and still selling the luxman

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 9:47 PM, wnabphil78@gmail said:

Ive been using my Luxman with the RF7s, It’s a super powerful amplifier I barely go over 2 and The house shakes,

So the R-115 sounded good with the 7's?  I had one paired with a pair of Fortes and it was a wonderful combination.  The Luxman's "only" 70w/ch punched way above it's weight class.  Great dynamics.  See if you can get your hands on an R-117 and you would be in for a real treat.  Literally unlimited headroom.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willland said:

So the R-115 sounded good with the 7's?  I had one paired with a pair of Fortes and it was a wonderful combination.  The Luxman's "only" 70w/ch punched way above it's weight class.  Great dynamics.  See if you can get your hands on an R-117 and you would be in for a real treat.  Literally unlimited headroom.

Bill

Hi Bill, Yes the Luxman is a ridiculous amount of power to those speakers, I listen LOUD and I’ve never wee above 4, that amp is super powerful wayyy more that the RF7s need ans tons of headroom. A while back I had a lady selling a 117 for $400!!! But she decided to keep it sentimental I guess ughh.no one seems to want to buy the 115 though 🤷‍♂️.I have always wanna to dive into the McIntosh world so I bought a 2100 integrated which is coming today.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, wnabphil78@gmail said:

Hi Bill, Yes the Luxman is a ridiculous amount of power to those speakers, I listen LOUD and I’ve never wee above 4, that amp is super powerful wayyy more that the RF7s need ans tons of headroom. A while back I had a lady selling a 117 for $400!!! But she decided to keep it sentimental I guess ughh.no one seems to want to buy the 115 though 🤷‍♂️.I have always wanna to dive into the McIntosh world so I bought a 2100 integrated which is coming today.

I meant a 6100 not a 2100 

On 3/12/2020 at 7:56 PM, wnabphil78@gmail said:

Thanks! I guess I didn’t ask my question properly lol, I know this unit can be used as a pre amp as well juts was wondering what would be a good pair up for a power amp if I decided to boost the watts, make sense? 😂 

With no disrespect to what you have, I'd say boost your speakers before boosting the watts.f

(as always, presuming WAF, space, funds...)

• Like 2

Yes, was going to wait and see what you think about the RF-7's.

Hope they suit your fancy. From recollection, you started with the Klf-10. Then a Cornwall(?), cannot recall all.

At some point, and thinking you may know this, the commercial, or pro line may need be in your future.

Just saying, may have to up your game, cut to the chase, so to speak on

In any case... having fun is super cool too ... enjoy.

• Like 2